Any ideas about how to form over 55 fellowships at church?

bluegot

Jun 7, 2021
Midwest
✟20,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Single
About 5 years ago I started attending a church I really like. It is a larger church with a lot of things going on. However, all the things going on are all for children, parents with children, or married couples and families. While I think that is fantastic, there is nothing for someone like me. I am 59, single, my kids are grown, and I have no grandkids. I am in a small group with people my age, but they are all retired (I am not) and they spend all their time traveling from grandkid to grandkid. I really have little in common with them.

I've been thinking of approaching church leadership and asking them if we could try setting up a fellowship for people like me. I envision Bible Study mostly, but also social outings like all going to a movie together etc...

Has anyone else experienced this in your church? Do you think there would be any interest?

I appreciate your input, thank you!

.Jeremiah.

Jul 26, 2021
The South
✟21,473.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You seem to be seeking a pretty specific demographic. Not all churches may be equipped to meet that need.

I found the website:

meetup.com

You put your location in, and you can find many many group affairs scheduled by other individuals in your area. Lots of them were zoom meetings the past year or so, but many are now gathering together.

You can join religious groups, age specific groups, places to learn, places to share, etc. Anything and everything.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟791,381.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
About 5 years ago I started attending a church I really like. It is a larger church with a lot of things going on. However, all the things going on are all for children, parents with children, or married couples and families. While I think that is fantastic, there is nothing for someone like me. I am 59, single, my kids are grown, and I have no grandkids. I am in a small group with people my age, but they are all retired (I am not) and they spend all their time traveling from grandkid to grandkid. I really have little in common with them.

I've been thinking of approaching church leadership and asking them if we could try setting up a fellowship for people like me. I envision Bible Study mostly, but also social outings like all going to a movie together etc...

Has anyone else experienced this in your church? Do you think there would be any interest?

I appreciate your input, thank you!
One of the problems with a big church is that the notion of a gathering of social types (according to kind) takes over past the notion of body. I like a small church, where there may be very few examples of 'kind', and they are all included in the body.

Edit: This is not to say you are wrong to seek what you are seeking. Go for it!

Upvote 0

fm107

Psalm 19:1-4 and Romans 1:20
May 12, 2009
London, UK
✟61,600.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
all the things going on are all for children, parents with children, or married couples and families. While I think that is fantastic, there is nothing for someone like me.

What about something for God? I don't seem Him mentioned in your list. You name everyone but Him.

And where in scripture is there justification for dividing up the flock into groups like this? Have you considered this or are you purely looking at how you want things to be done in God's House?

There is no warrant for having separate "fellowships." The NT discourages such a thought. Such groups are popular today but just because something is prevalent in christendom, doesn't make it right.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Talk to people, is there any interest in such a group?
If there is and there are those willing, able to lead it, then let the elders know and set it up.
Do have a look around your neighbourhood, are there nonchurch people you know in a similar social isolation who could be reached out to?

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I see you are with "Calvary Chapel". I got the impression that ones in this group might be concentrating on effecting American politics. But I do get how certain aggressive members of a certain group can be in everyone's face so it can seem like they represent the whole group.

But > in case a Bible claiming person is concentrating on trying to change a country or the world in political ways, this could distract him or her from the basics of God's word and Christianity.

And, likewise, yes you could be letting your particular interests distract you from certain basics.

But I say this in case it can apply to you and help you.

In case I am mistaken, still here is what I get for you >

You are an older Christian, possibly, in which case you could be more mature than a number of others. And they need you as a very important resource then, an example of how ones can become in Jesus and find out how to relate in love.

So, they need to spend time with you, in person, not merely isolate themselves in groups of their own feather while you swap feathers with others who are like to you!

There can be groups who welcome any and all people . . . so we can benefit from everyone of any age and level of maturity in Jesus. I mean an "on-purpose" group, perhaps, where we make a point of sharing as family with others not like us.

This can mean even making a point of having people of different first languages and background cultures, who have grown in Jesus and made the same discoveries of God and His word as others of other backgrounds.

But . . . another thing . . . in the United States we have people who are claiming to be Jesus people; yet, they insist on changing politics so English is declared the official one language of "America".

But a basic of Jesus is we love any and all others as ourselves; if I love you, I might make an effort to learn your language.

I offer how our Apostle Paul made himself like to all people so he could save some > 1 Corinthians 9:19-23 >

"For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win the more; and to the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might win Jews; to those who are under the law, as under the law, that I might win those who are under the law; to those who are without law, as without law (not being without law toward God, but under law toward Christ), that I might win those who are without law; to the weak I became as weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. Now this I do for the gospel’s sake, that I may be partaker of it with you." (1 Corinthians 9:19-23)

Our Apostle Paul had been a Pharisee. As we can see, Paul did not try to get into a small group with others of his Pharisee background.

I see that he would do things to make himself like to people of various cultures . . . to whomever he was reaching to at any time.

But there are younger church culture people who do not make a point of sharing with mature senior Christians. Plus, there are seniors with the attitude that no one younger can help them to grow even more in Jesus. Yet, in God's love and family, we all can minister His own grace, and this grace is good for all of us > 1 Peter 4:9-10.

But we will discover trouble people; so we need to be ready to be their best friend, by being the example they need to help them find out how to love.

"And I will very gladly spend and be spent for your souls; though the more abundantly I love you, the less I am loved." (2 Corinthians 12:15)

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟757,084.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I don't see why you couldn't ask your parish office and priest / pastor if you could do something like that. They can only say yes or no.

We have an over 50's group in our (Catholic) church, but we're on the other side of the Pacific Ocean, which is a long way to swim on a Wednesday, and then back on Thursday. I'm in that age demographic myself, but I don't go to the over 50's group partly because my I'm Catholic and my wife is Baptist. I'm involved in enough things now that I don't need the extra commitment. And my wife goes to a "home group" in her own church.

Because I'm not in the group I don't know what sort of activities they do, but I'm pretty sure they sometimes meet in their homes. Of course they may do other things.

I lifted this notice off the parish website -

Fifties Plus Group Meets every 2nd Wednesday of the month * See Parish News letters for more information or contact the Parish Office.

BUT - if you want to get the church to start something, you might have to take on a leadership role. You can't just make the suggestion and expect someone else to run with it, although there may be others who would help you.

I think you'd be better to focus on an "Over 50's" group rather than over 55's.

Finally what sort of activities did you have in mind? I take it you're not thinking of mountain climbing, deep sea diving, or Grand Prix racing?

If it becomes successful enough, you might consider making it cross denominational, which would attract a bigger membership (and bigger problems...). But that's down the track, if ever.

Upvote 0