Any idea why we don't have such miracles today?

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I'd just love to see the bulletin the week after the dead priest visited....

"Special Thanks to Father Justin, and apparently, SAINT Justin, memory eternal, RIP, for visiting last week and filling in for Father Philip who was home sick. We called all around and were about to cancel liturgy when the deceased and beloved pastor of our flock stopped by from the ethereal plain to fill in. It was good to have him back. The sermon was outstanding, though a bit of life after death testimony might've been in order."
I take it you dont believe in the legend that during the final Divine Liturgy at Hagia Sophia the priest and altar boys and whomever else entered the altar and vanished as the Turks hijacked and took over the building. With the belief they will return and finish the liturgy once its liberated and reconsecrated with a new iconostasis.

Upvote 0

Markie Boy

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2017
United States
✟402,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
acknowledging signs are not the same thing as seeking them.

This is why I stay away from Charismatics - they seem to seek signs every time they gather.

On the flip side, Fatima is one of the biggest, most recorded signs ever. Publicly seen by 70,000 - Christians, atheists, secular media - and many still don't buy it.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
This is why I stay away from Charismatics - they seem to seek signs every time they gather.

On the flip side, Fatima is one of the biggest, most recorded signs ever. Publicly seen by 70,000 - Christians, atheists, secular media - and many still don't buy it.

and we have the yearly Holy Fire, the reversing of the River Jordan, etc

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Some who were present said they didn't see or witness anything of that sun miracle. The largest publicly seen miracle is purportedly to be the Zeitun Apparitions in Egypt.

Upvote 0

Markie Boy

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2017
United States
✟402,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
and we have the yearly Holy Fire, the reversing of the River Jordan, etc

I have not heard of either - do you have any links for them? Sounds really interesting!

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,178,560.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have not heard of either - do you have any links for them? Sounds really interesting!

prodromos answered, plus we have the yearly dust at the grave of St John the theologian, the snakes of the Mother of God

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I’m just noticing you use the word “legend.”

I take it you dont believe in the legend that during the final Divine Liturgy at Hagia Sophia the priest and altar boys and whomever else entered the altar and vanished as the Turks hijacked and took over the building. With the belief they will return and finish the liturgy once its liberated and reconsecrated with a new iconostasis.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Next time dead folks celebrate the Divine Liturgy, someone here please whip out an iPhone for ole Gurney.

if Christ is truly present in the Liturgy, of course the righteous departed are there with Him. so if God wills that they be visible, of course it can happen.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hey, if the Lord wants, He can make Dodge a reliable car brand, lift the Eiffel Tower and launch it at the sun, turn beans into peas, and convince me The Last Jedi was academy award material!!! I’m just saying that I find some of these situations questionable and I wonder why they got zilch for noteriety and press. First I’ve ever heard of this stuff. I come from Catholicism where stuff like Medjugorje was supposedly this massive miracle. Turned out to be bunk. I’m just cautious with dead guys conducting services rumors...

if Christ is truly present in the Liturgy, of course the righteous departed are there with Him. so if God wills that they be visible, of course it can happen.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,178,560.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hey, if the Lord wants, He can make Dodge a reliable car brand, lift the Eiffel Tower and launch it at the sun, turn beans into peas, and convince me The Last Jedi was academy award material!!! I’m just saying that I find some of these situations questionable and I wonder why they got zilch for noteriety and press. First I’ve ever heard of this stuff. I come from Catholicism where stuff like Medjugorje was supposedly this massive miracle. Turned out to be bunk. I’m just cautious with dead guys conducting services rumors...
Chalk and cheese. No dodgy theology or messages. Just glorifying God.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

they happen all the time. read the life of any modern elder or eldress.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think our choir director died, rose from the grave, and was at church today matter of fact! That’s why they sounded so off!

they happen all the time. read the life of any modern elder or eldress.

Upvote 0

Light of the East

I'm Just a Singer in an OCA Choir
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think our choir director died, rose from the grave, and was at church today matter of fact! That’s why they sounded so off!

Now I don't care who you are, that there's funny!!

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I wish I had a resurrected, glorified saint sitting next to me during Sunday school today. The kids sat looking transfixed at me while I was discussing the sacrament of baptism. I went really DEEP into it. They were either utterly fascinated, or contemplating suicide. Still not sure LOL

Upvote 0