Any idea why we don't have such miracles today?

Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So a glowing, transfigured, radiating aura-laden Saint walks into the church and says Liturgy, and nobody bothered to have a Kodak moment!? Wouldn’t people have made a bigger deal about this!?!

no, not a corpse. the person in glory. the same way St Paul was seen whispering into the ears of St John Chrysostom

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So a glowing, transfigured, radiating aura-laden Saint walks into the church and says Liturgy, and nobody bothered to have a Kodak moment!? Wouldn’t people have made a bigger deal about this!?!

people have made big deals about it. that's how we know this has happened.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I never even heard a word of it until this thread. I would think it would be a great deal bigger....

people have made big deals about it. that's how we know this has happened.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I never even heard a word of it until this thread. I would think it would be a great deal bigger....

it happens all the time. a buddy of mine who was one of the groomsmen at my wedding saw St Raphael of Brooklyn at the Antiochian Village.

many people have seen him around

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You sure your buddy didn’t have an uncle who thought he was st. Jerome?

it happens all the time. a buddy of mine who was one of the groomsmen at my wedding saw St Raphael of Brooklyn at the Antiochian Village.

many people have seen him around

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The village? Too liberal a part of NY for me!!

the Antiochian Village...in PA...where St Raphael has been seen walking around ('tis where he is buried)

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So what people are seeing is a type of Force ghost style apparition of him then?

the Antiochian Village...in PA...where St Raphael has been seen walking around ('tis where he is buried)

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,356.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So corpses walk into a parish, celebrate Liturgies, and this news gains no traction!?! Animated corpses, one would think, should grab a headline and get people talking, right?

Nobody got a photo of this? Interviews with the altar boys and deacons or readers who co-celebrated with a dead man?
In the case of St Nektarios in Romania, they have his signature multiple times in the Church's registry, for each of the weddings and baptisms he performed while there.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So what people are seeing is a type of Force ghost style apparition of him then?

no, like the person was. if Moses could appear and be recognized by the Apostles at the Transfiguration, how much more so since the Resurrection?

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Really? I had assumed they appeared something like an apparition. Maybe only momentarily visible. Though I never expect to see such a thing, of course.

nope, they were both truly there. it could not have been an apparition because Elijah is not dead. and it wasn't a moment since they discussed Christ's upcoming Passion.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
nope, they were both truly there. it could not have been an apparition because Elijah is not dead. and it wasn't a moment since they discussed Christ's upcoming Passion.

Well I didn't mean an "apparition" in the case of Moses and Elijah. Because they saw Christ transfigured, I thought they were seeing them as they are in glory?

But thinking about appearances of those in the Liturgy, I guess I kind of just imagined those were like flashes of visions of someone. I realize now I've been influenced by art to think that way.

There are accounts too - like the young man who visited Mt Athos and was contemplating suicide, and the monk talked him out of it. The monk was later identified as a canonized Saint, and he thought he was talking to a person like any of us might encounter. And I know I've heard a few accounts along those lines.

I guess I never really considered it carefully, in order to connect these different kinds of instances. I try to be simple in such things and not think on them too much though (especially to avoid becoming preoccupied with such thoughts, since it could be tempting to me maybe).

Interesting conversation. Thank you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Well I didn't mean an "apparition" in the case of Moses and Elijah. Because they saw Christ transfigured, I thought they were seeing them as they are in glory?

But thinking about appearances of those in the Liturgy, I guess I kind of just imagined those were like flashes of visions of someone. I realize now I've been influenced by art to think that way.

There are accounts too - like the young man who visited Mt Athos and was contemplating suicide, and the monk talked him out of it. The monk was later identified as a canonized Saint, and he thought he was talking to a person like any of us might encounter. And I know I've heard a few accounts along those lines.

I guess I never really considered it carefully, in order to connect these different kinds of instances. I try to be simple in such things and not think on them too much though (especially to avoid becoming preoccupied with such thoughts, since it could be tempting to me maybe).

Interesting conversation. Thank you.

yes, exactly, it's the saint as he/she is in glory. that's the point.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
" A wicked and adulterous generation seeks after a sign "Matt 16:14 .

acknowledging signs are not the same thing as seeking them.

Upvote 0

Light of the East

I'm Just a Singer in an OCA Choir
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
" A wicked and adulterous generation seeks after a sign "Matt 16:14 .

Actually, many of the Fathers of Holy Orthodoxy, such as the Holy Athonite Saints, have warned us not to desire or seek after signs and wonders.

Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'd just love to see the bulletin the week after the dead priest visited....

"Special Thanks to Father Justin, and apparently, SAINT Justin, memory eternal, RIP, for visiting last week and filling in for Father Philip who was home sick. We called all around and were about to cancel liturgy when the deceased and beloved pastor of our flock stopped by from the ethereal plain to fill in. It was good to have him back. The sermon was outstanding, though a bit of life after death testimony might've been in order."

• Haha
Upvote 0