Any here was anti-traditional who became traditional?

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,873.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I remember barely 2 or 3 years ago I was against tradition and things have changed for me now.

Any other similar case?

I was raised nominally protestant. Specifically baptist/Pentecostal. I had an epiphany one day then became a strong anti-catholic. I eventually reached a point where I couldn't decide whether to become Catholic or Orthodox. I chose Orthodoxy. But I have nothing against my Catholic cousins.

The traditions and teachings of the Orthodox Church are by far the easiest to defend.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Were you against the tradition of obeying Yahweh ? Or just against the tradition that men later developed ?
It's hard to answer such a question because so many people use the words "traditional" and "tradition" to mean nothing more than "what those other people believe."

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I remember barely 2 or 3 years ago I was against tradition and things have changed for me now.

Any other similar case?
I was raised Protestant. There's some backstory going on here but the long and the short of it is I found myself in the Anglican world as an adult.

Studying what Anglicans believe led to studying what the Early Church believed. And what the Early Church believed sounds an awful lot like Catholicism. So I converted to Catholicism.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Even the apostles warned, or cautioned, the members in Christ,
NOT to believe a message from an apostle, or from an angel of light, if it differed from
the GOOD NEWS GOSPEL once for all delivered to the assemblies of Ekklesia.

Like the Bereans example, test everything, BEFORE believing it.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,272,504.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I was raised in a nominal RC environment. When I was thirty an evangelical witnessed to me and I fully embraced Christ for life. After joining CF I’ve definitely shifted to the traditional end of the spectrum ie,.. liturgical, sacramental and look to the consensus of the ECF’s for doctrinal perspectives.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,873.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
NOT to believe a message from an apostle, or from an angel of light, if it differed from

What is "the good news gospel"?

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Act 20:24
But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God.

v. 24 Paul wasn't moved from following God's will by the afflictions he had to endure. He was willing to serve God faithfully until he'd finished the work God had for him to do on the earth. Paul's ministry was to testify of the good news (gospel) of God's grace.

From Blue Letter Bible

CSB
But I consider my life of no value to myself; my purpose is to finish my course and the ministry I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of God’s grace.

CEB
But nothing, not even my life, is more important than my completing my mission. This is nothing other than the ministry I received from the Lord Jesus: to testify about the good news of God’s grace.

CJB
But I consider my own life of no importance to me whatsoever, as long as I can finish the course ahead of me, the task I received from the Lord Yeshua — to declare in depth the Good News of God’s love and kindness.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Yeah, and we make sure it is not prelest

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I was raised in a nominal RC environment. When I was thirty an evangelical witnessed to me and I fully embraced Christ for life. After joining CF I’ve definitely shifted to the traditional end of the spectrum ie,.. liturgical, sacramental and look to the consensus of the ECF’s for doctrinal perspectives.
What made you appreciate the traditional?

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,272,504.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
What made you appreciate the traditional?
Well all Christian worship services are liturgical but I prefer the structure of the service to emulate the early church forms where everything being done in the service has a reason behind it. From the beginning procession, to whether the congregation is standing, sitting or kneeling. Or even if the celebrant is facing in the same direction as the congregation or towards them. And the ancient liturgies are intricately and dynamically tied into sacramental theology. I also appreciate how they follow Christ’s earthly ministry from birth, Lent and Pentecost throughout the year by following a liturgical calendar. And finally there is no such thing as Nuda Scriptura=scripture alone or bible onlyism. Everything a human tries to comprehend or contemplate is effected by that person or group’s paradigm which ironically is a tradition in and of itself. Which is why I think it’s most authentic to pull from the historic church and consensus of the ECF’s.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟938,281.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Well, sort of. I was part of mainline Protestant denomination for 50 years. I grew discontent with my worship experience there, and yearned for a more historical, traditional, sacramental, and liturgical worship experience. After studying and visiting, I decided that Catholicism and Orthodoxy posed various "stoppers" for me, so I found my new church home in an Anglo-Catholic parish.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Well, sort of. I was part of mainline Protestant denomination for 50 years. I grew discontent with my worship experience there, and yearned for a more historical, traditional, sacramental, and liturgical worship experience. After studying and visiting, I decided that Catholicism and Orthodoxy posed various "stoppers" for me, so I found my new church home in an Anglo-Catholic parish.
Isn’t mainline already traditional?

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟938,281.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

It depends on one's definition of traditional. Reread my series, "traditional...worship experience" Many mainline churches have non-traditional worship.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Each must be tested today. At least if one is being checked out ... it is obviously not possible to test all of them for any one person. But any one you may go to, is subject to testing as Scripture says.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,180,417.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
www.biblegateway.com › passage › search=Acts+5:29

Acts 5:29 ESV - But Peter and the apostles answered, - Bible ...

Acts 5:29 English Standard Version (ESV). 29 But Peter and the apostles answered, “We must obey God rather than men.
What if those traditions are not of men, but of the Church, which is the body of Christ?

2 Thessalonians 2:15
Therefore, brethren, stand fast and hold the traditions which you were taught, whether by word or our epistle.​

Acts 15:28
For it seemed good to the Holy Spirit, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things:​

Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0