Any guitar players out there?

W

wsmccurry

I originally posted this in general hobbies but thought it would be better here.

I haven't played in going on 26 years but have recently been encouraged to pick it up again. I was approached by the drummer of our praise band at church and he heard I use to play guitar (I never told anyone at church that) and wondered if I would like to pick it up again. He invited me to practice with his band (they would teach me the songs) and in a few months or so when I felt comfortable that maybe I would like to play in church. The offer kind of blew me away. My wife and children are encouraging me to do this (my wife has been trying to get me to pick up my guitar again for quite some time now anyway) and I have decided I will. My first practice will be a week from Saturday so pray for me. Looks like I'm picking up an new/old hobby lol. :D

SGM4HIM

Jul 17, 2005
North Florida
✟10,654.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Welcome wsmccurry,

I too started playing guitar again, when I joined my wife's church. I am happy for you. We play several times a week at church, inside hospitals, inside Hospice facility, graveside and community church events.

Here are a couple resources I have found helpful over the years.

Worship Together: New Worship Songs Music and Resources and Leadworship.com.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟246,972.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi wsmccurry,

Good on you. You must be close to playing live by now or already have. Hows it going. I like it when someone gets encourage to get into music or get back into music. I started playing guitar pretty late in like which was about 12 years ago now and have really put it down. I hope I never will as I am still enjoying it. I will have periods where I dont play much but that like maybe months if not weeks. I have been doing a lot of song writing and recording which expands my interest. Now I am at a stage where I would like to do some band or live work.

I have done some occasional busking and have done a couple of live mic nights but only a few times. I got right into recording which I enjoyed trying to put some backing onto my songs and get them to a good level. But it has made me want to work with others doing live stuff and hearing all the instruments played together in real time. Trying to create some music with others rather than in my studio all the time. Hope all is still going well and you are finding new inspiration. I think thats the key inspiration.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟246,972.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My only regret with guitar is I didn'tstart younger. Been playing for four years now and love it. Acoustic e standard usually. Electric is where I feel at home. Drop C. August burns red, for today style.
I had 6 months of guitar lessons when I was 11 and hated it. The teacher was doing music theory mainly and I hardly learnt to play. So I stopped for 30 odd years and went on with life never learning or picking up a guitar. Then later in life I decided to buy a guitar and learn some basic chords. Never went to lessons just done it my way. Learned to play 1/2 a dozen simple 2 or 3 chord songs and was over the moon. I couldn't believe that I could play a song. then started to write my own simple songs and create my own music and havnt looked back. So its never to late just keep on playing all the time. In some ways I dont think I would have been the same player or music artist if I kept learning back then. I may have burnt out of completely lost interest and never discovered what I know today.

Upvote 0

markb77

Nov 20, 2011
✟16,859.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
My main instrument is piano/keyboards, but I play rhythm (acoustic) guitar in my church's praise team and enjoy it very much. I feel like I improve a little each week, and my confidence has increased as well. It helps to be at least a little bit confident when you play in front of 350 - 400 folks every Sunday. :)

Reactions: PapaZoom
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums