• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Any former Roman Catholics here?

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by Light of the East, Nov 26, 2017.

1. ~Anastasia~

~Anastasia~ † Servant of God † Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+9,904
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    That was always my understanding of polemics/polemical. And not the best approach, in my book.

Though I agree that it is necessary to acknowledge any differences in order to talk about them. Fellowship can be shared, but if doctrine is being discussed, we have to be honest.

2. E.C.

E.C. Well-Known Member

+371
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    A little late to the party, but former Roman Catholic here. I was raised in a mostly Irish-American Catholic school and church until the eighth grade. Became Orthodox by chrismation in 2006 at the age of sixteen.

3. MDuce

MDuce New Member

+11
    Japan
    Catholic
    Married
    I'm not converted (at least not yet) but I can explain you why I am interested in Orthodox and what are the bad or weak points in Latin Catholicism from my view. Of course I do not pretend have the truth but I'm looking for it.

4. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+5,291
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    welcome to TAW! feel free to start up a thread here too about weak points in RC, especially if you want Orthodox answers to those points

5. All4Christ

All4Christ +The Handmaid of God Laura+ Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+3,896
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Welcome both to Christian Forums and TAW!

6. ~Anastasia~

~Anastasia~ † Servant of God † Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+9,904
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Yes, welcome to CF and to TAW! Please do feel free to start a thread.

I think the OP is carrying out his conversations via PM, and you won't be able to do that until you have 20 posts and 5 likes. Jump right in if you like though, it doesn't take long. :)

Again, welcome! We are glad to have you with us. :)

7. MDuce

MDuce New Member

+11
    Japan
    Catholic
    Married
    Thanks for you invitations. Well I would like be careful about weak points of Roman Catholilcism because I don't want be offensive and just attack it.

There are several complicated things in Roman Church but today all of those can be resummed in one: a strong tendency to the humanism which makes to lose (partialy at least) the theocentric and eschatologic view of true Christianism.

Of course as Christ is God and Man, human beings are really important. But of what kind of humankind we are talking about?

Some times the Catholic humanism is really similar to the secular view of man...

When I go to a modern Catholic mass, all seem as a warm and sweety party. But the few times I could see a Orthodox mass I saw a solemn and sacred ceremony. Or course you can smell love in a Catholic mass. But a human love, not a sacred and transcendental Love.

I don't know if it is clear, but I can't express it better now.

8. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+5,291
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    I don't think it's offensive to point out Catholic weak points on here. there is a difference between that, and personally going after them. so I don't think you would offend.

9. hengesthorsa

hengesthorsa Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,485
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I'm a catechumen now, coming from a RC baptism and loose cultural background.