Any Equestrians Out There?

fwiwwl

SINNER
Nov 7, 2005
✟1,258.00
Faith
Non-Denom
So, does anyone ever enjoy horseback riding? Whether it be show jumping, barrel racing, or just an afternoon trail ride?

[FONT=&quot]
20.gif
[/FONT]I used to ride those short eared critters but for the terrain I ride in ........long eared and sure footed mules win! Is a mule considered an equestrian [FONT=&quot]
1.gif
[/FONT]

Upvote 0
N

NamiNeko

I used to take horse back riding lessons when we lived in the semi- country, now I don't anymore because we live in the city, I still trail ride sometimes, I despise it with a firey passion of a thousand sun though, Every single time I go trail riding someone is holding onto a lead rope. I HATE IT, drives me bonkers, honeslty I'm perfectly capible of controlling a horse. I like riding at my aunts house, I only do it once a year, but it's really fun because she lets me ride all over their wheat field. It's great.

Upvote 0

SparkyMaddie

Luceat Lux Vestra
Feb 17, 2005
St Louis
✟150,656.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
I've been riding hunt seat for 5 years and I do both show jumping,dressage and have also competed in California. Since moving I have found a new trainer and am going to summer dressage camp.
I also have done one endurance ride with my Dad. I thought that was extreme and won't do it again. I didn't enjoy it.

Upvote 0

PastorJim

Jul 12, 2006
✟3,601.00
Faith
Baptist
When I was young, my brother dated a girl who was a barrel racer and was an expert rider. She was kind enough to teach me how to ride. My dad grew up in Appalachia, in an enclave where horseback was the primary way of going through the hills and hollers and so whatever she didn't teach me, he did.

I got away from it for many years.

When I met my wife, she explained to me that she was just as passionate about riding as I was about fishing and sailing, so I got my dad to help me brush up on my skills.

Now, we ride, each of our five children ride, and my father and grandfather, who each have homes on our farm, ride.

Now, I'm into the next stage. Several years ago, an Amish gentleman I'm friends with, suggested that I buy a wagon so I've gotten into that and into draft horses now.

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
My daughters horse was just old enough to ride last year.
We... I rode him alot.
Trails.
He has been in 4h halter class a couple times.
They are afraid to ride to much, but they are doing better.
Oldest was bucked off, landed on her head and destroyed her helmet.
Dedicated the remains to 4h, they were in an arena, no different then any other time, but this time Max lowered his head and kicked up his behind.

This year, our Horse will begin to work on the Equestrian games of the SCA. Beheading, Reeds, quintain, pigsticking, spear throwing from horse back. Also when I make it, he will have a full caprison(the cloth covering of the knights.) I am a founding member of the Lance of Saint George.

Heads and reeds are like pole bending, except you have a padded weapon and strike at the head or reeds to show your skill in equestrian and weapons.
Pig sticking is using a lance to stick styrofoam pigs, while on horse back.
Quintain is the spear target you see riders charging thier lance into.

Our group, has a person that has the large (music)horns, and a couple that do real jousting(disclaimer: real jousting is not a SCA sanctioned event.)
I think in the future, we are plnaning on doing some demonstrations and riding in parades. (My horse won't be in the parades, don't fully trust his youth yet.)

Reactions: Treasurer
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Macx

Aug 7, 2007
Twin Cities, Whittier-hood
✟7,657.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I used to ride an hope to again. The three events - Dressage, show jump and cross country. Loved it, gave it up when I got married the first time and haven't been able to find my way back. The love is deep in me though.

That SCA thing sounds cool, also been kinda looking at getting into Cowboy action shooting & I understand someplaces they have mounted shooting stages.

Upvote 0

Treasurer

May 31, 2005
At home.
✟17,008.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Wow, I can't believe there is nothing more here. What a great thread! I wish I had a horse because I would go horseback riding. Horses are beautiful amazing Creatures.

My last horse was an Arabian mare named Serena. I had here until I was 21. I miss her. I gave her to a girl in 4H. I got married and moved into an apartment in the city.

There is nothing like the relationship between a horse and rider. A bond that developes over time due to trust and love. You begin to sense and feel each. I hated giving up my horse. It was like losing a part of myself. I think that is why God allowed horses to live for such a long time; because once a bond like that is made it isn't meant to be broken.

Horses are amazing gifts from God.

Upvote 0