Contributor
Oct 18, 2003
washington state
✟6,386.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If so, let's communicate. It irritates me that the CRC is more parochial than the Catholic Church and that The Banner permits no opposing opinion. Can't find any CRC members on line.

I find it amusing that The Banner would publish a story, "Is Prosperity a Blessing?" when our leaders pay themselves at twice the median US income.

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I attended a CRC church for several months when I moved to the new town in which I live. I soon found out that it was a currently decent church on the verge of going liberal, and soon left to attend a more solid, Bible-believing church. But I'm somewhat familiar with the CRC, having been part of it for awhile. What would you like to discuss?

Upvote 0

Wrigley

Senior Veteran
Mar 24, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
✟21,012.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
If so, let's communicate. It irritates me that the CRC is more parochial than the Catholic Church and that The Banner permits no opposing opinion. Can't find any CRC members on line.

I find it amusing that The Banner would publish a story, "Is Prosperity a Blessing?" when our leaders pay themselves at twice the median US income.
I grew up in the CRC and have watched it fall from being sound to what it is now. I still pick up a copy of the Banner from time to time and am disappointed with it.

Upvote 0

Wrigley

Senior Veteran
Mar 24, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
✟21,012.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
What is CRC?

Christian Reformed Church. A primarily Dutch denomination based in Grand Rapids, MI. Claims to hold to the Three Forms of Unity, but, even that has become watered down. It is sliding down the same road of liberalism that the PCUSA is on. And, honestly, is catching up to that group.

Upvote 0

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Christian Reformed Church. A primarily Dutch denomination based in Grand Rapids, MI. Claims to hold to the Three Forms of Unity, but, even that has become watered down. It is sliding down the same road of liberalism that the PCUSA is on. And, honestly, is catching up to that group.

That's my judgment of the situation as well. Except for their terribly unbiblical stance on women in the ministry, most of their doctrine is currently sound, at least on paper. Alas, the church is comprised of human beings, not paper and ink. And I see that many people in the church are emphasizing and preaching the Gospel to a lesser extent. Scripture is less important to them. Their focus is turning towards "issues," things such as restorative justice, environmentalism, and social change. Now all of these can be good things, but the church is about Jesus, not issues. And once the church starts focusing on issues instead of Christ, it begins on the road to apostasy.

That's what liberal churches (which I would call apostate churches) do. If you look at the kinds of activities that occupy the PCUSA, the Episcopal Church, the ELCA, and UCC, you'll find that their primary mission is to advance certain pet issues. Never mind that some of these issues, such as pro-choice and the homosexual agenda, are particularly unbiblical. The larger problem is that while they call themselves churches, none of their time is spent doing the Lord's work.

The CRC has been distracted by certain pet issues. At the moment most of these issues are actually good ones. But I suppose that's the genius of Satan's plans. Distract the church from Christ by giving her other work to do, and then sever her from Christ. Maybe we shouldn't totally give up hope for the CRC. The SBC was once in this position, and they managed to drive out the theological liberals. But the CRC today seems to be where many mainline denominations were fifty years ago, and that's a most dangerous thing.

Upvote 0

Wrigley

Senior Veteran
Mar 24, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
✟21,012.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well it is sad to see the American CRC's are heading down the same path as the Canadian ones. :(

The American CRC's have been leading the way. Take a look at the history of Eastern Ave CRC, Leland CRC, Fuller Ave CRC, or for that matter, any church in classis Grand Rapids East.

Reactions: drstevej
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Maasive10

Aug 11, 2008
Canada
✟15,129.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
We have many CRC churches in our area - many of them have split however and a new denomintion called the United Reformed Churches have arose - these churches are very sound in their doctrine and seem to keep in the teachings of the scripture. It really is sad to see how fast the CRC has gone into decline.

I have relatives that live in Grand Rapids but they attend the more conservative Free Reformed Church. When we were visting there - I couldn't believe how many Reformed church branches there were.

Upvote 0

ReformedChapin

Chapin = Guatemalan
Apr 29, 2005
✟18,338.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
We have many CRC churches in our area - many of them have split however and a new denomintion called the United Reformed Churches have arose - these churches are very sound in their doctrine and seem to keep in the teachings of the scripture. It really is sad to see how fast the CRC has gone into decline.

I have relatives that live in Grand Rapids but they attend the more conservative Free Reformed Church. When we were visting there - I couldn't believe how many Reformed church branches there were.
I'm new to the URC, I've heard about the problem with CRC. It's always interesting to see how these issues unfold. Anyone know where I can find more information about the split?

Upvote 0

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I joined the CRC two years ago after leaving the PCA. I know there are a few issues that are iffy, but the my congregation has decent worship services and is close to my home which is an issue as I have health issues to consider.

The Banner had a couple of articles recently about homosexuality that just about blew my mind. Course the PCA church I left had a deacon who had been arrested in a bathroom sex sting so what do you do??? They also allowed one man to wear dresses for years and didn't crack down on it until two devout Calvinists were elected elders.

I think us devout Calvinists are about as rare as unicorn teeth and a thorn in the flesh of most congregations.

I stopped attending the CRC ladies Bible study as it had no leadership and was led by women who weren't even members. When I'd mention something about God being holy, being brought into judgement and the like, it was like no one knew what I was talking about. One Catholic lady would always speculate on how God was just sitting on His throne hoping and praying we'd someday get it right. What a bunch of nonsense.

Hmm, that actually sounds very similar to my short-lived experience in the CRC. My local CRC church used to have a graduate student ministry. I think only one member was also a member of the local CRC church, all the others were part of other denominations. I'm really not sure what to think about this denomination.

If you don't mind my asking, may I ask why you left the PCA?

Upvote 0

green wolverine

to God be the glory!
May 9, 2009
✟16,164.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hmm, that actually sounds very similar to my short-lived experience in the CRC. My local CRC church used to have a graduate student ministry. I think only one member was also a member of the local CRC church, all the others were part of other denominations. I'm really not sure what to think about this denomination.

If you don't mind my asking, may I ask why you left the PCA?

I left the PCA for a number of reasons including needing something closer to home as I had been very ill for a number of years and needed something closer.

The PCA congregation had a lot of problems that I won't go into publicly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Wrigley

Senior Veteran
Mar 24, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
✟21,012.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm new to the URC, I've heard about the problem with CRC. It's always interesting to see how these issues unfold. Anyone know where I can find more information about the split?

Take a look here. Its a good history of what happened.

Darrell Todd Maurina is someone I went to college with.

United Reformed News Service

Upvote 0