Any Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) church goers here?

SeekerOfChrist94

Grandma ♡ June 26, 1942 - January 10, 2017 5:32 pm
Apr 21, 2013
Texas
✟54,920.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I visited a Disciples of Christ church this recent Sunday and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I was wondering if there were any other members on this forum who go to such a church? Why do you choose to go to that particular church?

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I visited a Disciples of Christ church this recent Sunday and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I was wondering if there were any other members on this forum who go to such a church? Why do you choose to go to that particular church?

While I'm not specifically a member of the Disciple of Christ, I do attend the Christian Church which is a 'sister' wing of the Disciples of Christ. I attend there because I like the general idea of wanting to unite with other Christians (i.e. Christians of various denominations).

Upvote 0

Thedictator

Retired Coach, Now Missionary to the World
Mar 21, 2010
Northeast Texas
✟50,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I was a member of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) from childhood to college age. I left in my early college years, because it became a very liberal church, a lot of these churches believe in fellowship with other religions that are not Christian, the last one I was with had a lot of fellowship with the Hindu religion and the new age religion. They used a lot of Hindu and New Age teachings in their sermons and Bible classes. A part of their statement of faith was that Jesus Christ was not the only way to heaven.

Upvote 0

Thedictator

Mar 21, 2010
Northeast Texas
✟50,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There is a Restoration Movement forum here of which they belong to, ( The No Creed, Restoration Forum) but most of the other Restoration churches are not liberal like them. The Independent Christian Church is for the most part a Biblical and conservative church.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed it. What did you enjoy the most, SeekerOfChrist?

Upvote 0

SeekerOfChrist94

Apr 21, 2013
Texas
✟54,920.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed it. What did you enjoy the most, SeekerOfChrist?

Personally I prefer a traditional service but it's hard to find a church that does hymns and an organ but also believes in full immersion baptism as long as weekly communion. I enjoyed all those aspects. The congregation was also very welcoming which is hard to find nowadays, most congregations tend to give me the side eye (I have tattoos though not large ones, I still have them).

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Personally I prefer a traditional service but it's hard to find a church that does hymns and an organ but also believes in full immersion baptism as long as weekly communion. I enjoyed all those aspects. The congregation was also very welcoming which is hard to find nowadays, most congregations tend to give me the side eye (I have tattoos though not large ones, I still have them).

Tattoos? Oh NO!!! Not that! :rolleyes: ;)

I'm glad you found a church that is comfortable for you. I know that the Disciples of Christ churches tend toward a more inclusive and traditional style service. As someone above mentioned, they do tend to be a little bit more liberal in their views to various degrees, depending on the pastor in charge. I personally look for something similar (i.e. inclusive), although I prefer the Christian Church where I currently attend since I also want a more conservative leaning and contemporary "rock" style music.

So, Disciples of Christ/Christian Church and the Christian Church/Church of Christ [Instrumental] are two branches of the Restoration Movement. There is a third, which is the Church of Christ/Christian Church [Non-instrumental]. This third branch is typically very, very conservative, and a few of them almost to a hyper-fundamentalist degree (hence, even no instruments in the singing service). I'm sure neither of us would be comfortable in that branch. :cool:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SeekerOfChrist94

Apr 21, 2013
Texas
✟54,920.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Tattoos? Oh NO!!! Not that! :rolleyes: ;)

I'm glad you found a church that is comfortable for you. I know that the Disciples of Christ churches tend toward a more inclusive and traditional style service. As someone above mentioned, they do tend to be a little bit more liberal in their views to various degrees, depending on the pastor in charge. I personally look for something similar (i.e. inclusive), although I prefer the Christian Church where I currently attend since I also want a more conservative leaning and contemporary "rock" style music.

So, Disciples of Christ/Christian Church and the Christian Church/Church of Christ [Instrumental] are two branches of the Restoration Movement. There is a third, which is the Church of Christ/Christian Church [Non-instrumental]. This third branch is typically very, very conservative, and a few of them almost to a hyper-fundamentalist degree (hence, even no instruments in the singing service). I'm sure neither of us would be comfortable in that branch. :cool:

I tried visiting a no instruments Church of Christ for about two months and it was very fundamentalist. All they talked about was politics and Trump and it was hard to just focus on Jesus. The people were nice but the political aspect in preaching really was too much. I also missed the instruments. I find it really brings me closer to God in worship.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I tried visiting a no instruments Church of Christ for about two months and it was very fundamentalist. All they talked about was politics and Trump and it was hard to just focus on Jesus. The people were nice but the political aspect in preaching really was too much. I also missed the instruments. I find it really brings me closer to God in worship.

Yeah, I fully understand what you're saying. While I don't mind a little political talk in church, I think that that shouldn't become the focus of a sermon message. Jesus should be the focus, along with some encouraging fellowship and inspiring music (and for me, hopefully some instruments and their players). I'm glad you feel that you've found a church with that kind of positive direction. ;)

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Brokenhill

Praise God, i'm satisifed.
Jul 26, 2015
Arizona
✟19,363.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hmm...yea, that would be annoying, but maybe try another CoC?

I find it interesting you consider instruments in worship as "traditional"...I always thought of it as the other way around.

Upvote 0

Thedictator

Mar 21, 2010
Northeast Texas
✟50,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I sorry you had a bad experience with the Churches of Christ, I believe that church was an exception from other churches of Christ. I have been a member for about 35 years and have been to 1000's of congregations around the world as a missionary. I have never heard a political sermon in any of them, other than talking about some issue like abortion, or homosexuality, and never about a candidate, most of the churches I know have a policy against politics in the sermon or bible studies. The one thing about Churches of Christ is that one congregation is completely independent from the other congregations that is no national HQ, or any structure above the congregation level, so there are differences between congregations.

Reactions: Brokenhill
Upvote 0

SeekerOfChrist94

Apr 21, 2013
Texas
✟54,920.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yeah, I fully understand what you're saying. While I don't mind a little political talk in church, I think that that shouldn't become the focus of a sermon message. Jesus should be the focus, along with some encouraging fellowship and inspiring music (and for me, hopefully some instruments and their players). I'm glad you feel that you've found a church with that kind of positive direction. ;)

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

I went again yesterday and attended a women's sunday school class. I really enjoy that church and it's so welcoming. I'm honestly considering making it my home church if I go more often.

Hmm...yea, that would be annoying, but maybe try another CoC?

I find it interesting you consider instruments in worship as "traditional"...I always thought of it as the other way around.

I didn't say I find instruments to be traditional. I find traditional to be hymns. Everyone has their own preferences in worship, no one will be the same.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I went again yesterday and attended a women's sunday school class. I really enjoy that church and it's so welcoming. I'm honestly considering making it my home church if I go more often.
Well, if you find it to have a friendly atmosphere and the people there make you feel "at home," then maybe it's a good place for you to be. ;)

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Upvote 0

Brokenhill

Praise God, i'm satisifed.
Jul 26, 2015
Arizona
✟19,363.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I didn't say I find instruments to be traditional. I find traditional to be hymns. Everyone has their own preferences in worship, no one will be the same.
Oh, sorry I misunderstood.

I believe God has His preference in worship as well, which is what we should all aim to match.

And while I do thin that instrumental worship is arguably a bit of a grey area, I think we should err on the side of caution, and stick to what Ephesians 5:19 teaches...just singing to God/one another without any instruments. You can't get ore pure than that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums