• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Any beaders out there?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by VioletLady, Jan 27, 2007.

1. SabrinaFair

SabrinaFair Happily married to MetalDave!!!

+2,752
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    I know what you mean... I LOVE the crystals (but can't afford them in any quantity worth fiddling with), and I avoid the strings of bead that are in the $4 and up range as much as possible because Wow do those add up quick!! Eek!!

But to be honest, I love the mixed bags of cheap glass beads too because some of them really have character. I sort what I want and give the real beat up ones to my kids to string. They have a blast.

I think all the beads are really neat and fun, just wish I had a bigger bead budget. LOL. :cool:

2. SabrinaFair

+2,752
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    Oh yeah... and pearls are my absolute weakness. I love them, all the shapes, all the colors! Amazing!! :cool:

3. Macrina

Macrina Macrinator

+727
    Presbyterian
    Married
    US-Others
    I love the "gemstone" beads -- they make such lovely gift jewelry. I've had a few people mistake my work for something professional, and I credit the high-quality beads with that.

4. SabrinaFair

+2,752
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    Maybe, but maybe you have a true talent for design? I know my Grandma does, she has a real eye for patterns and colors. That doesn't come as naturally to everyone as it does some. You could be gifted in that regard. :cool:

That is neat though that others can see the potential your work shows. Really cool!! :)

5. LightHearted

LightHearted No Storm Can Shake My Inmost Calm

+561
    Catholic
    Married
    Hi, :)

I suggest that you look at: http://www.firemountaingems.com for cheaper supplies and magazines, books, and they even have free tips if you look for it.

Beads, Baubles, and Jewels is a beading television show that's on PBS. They have most of their episodes available to watch for free on their website.

I also suggest that you do a Google search for Katie Hacker - she's got lots of good tips on her site, too. I really like her work.

I love working with ribbon, but haven't tried the organza ribbon. Thanks for the great idea! I can see it beautifully in my head. :)

Big tip for you:

Don't buy from local beads stores. This will save you a ton of money. When I beads, I generally order from Fire Mountain Gems (link given above). If I need findings (I work with sterling silver, mostly) I order from bluemud.com. They've got the lowest of the low prices for sterling silver findings.

You can find things four-five times cheaper on the internet than you can at many bead stores.

6. Macrina

Macrina Macrinator

+727
    Presbyterian
    Married
    US-Others
    Ooh, yay, thanks for all the links! :clap:

I discovered Fire Mountain Gems awhile back... whoo! addictive site! I haven't ordered from there yet, though, because I have such a backlog of stuff from the hobby store that I can't justify any more purchases right now, no matter how inexpensive they are. ;)

7. SabrinaFair

+2,752
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    Thanks from me too!! I found her blog: Katie Hacker

I wonder if my mom can record that Bead show... :cool: (lol... like I need that to egg my habit on... ;) )

8. daddyjesus

daddyjesus Newbie

+1
    Protestant
    Single
    i jus knw d basics...uhh...not tat good bedder:)

9. jesusmyhealer

jesusmyhealer Regular Member

+6
    Christian
    Married
    Hi:wave:

I started my own business in beaded jewellery making but found it hard to keep up with a toddler.

I have so so many beads, findings etc. that I want to get rid of but don't know how.

I tried Ebay but I was giving them away. Looks like everyone there wants something for nothing.

All my stuff is very good quality so if anyone is interested, let me know, I can provide photos etc.

Just keep in mind I'm in Australia:)

10. LightHearted

LightHearted No Storm Can Shake My Inmost Calm

+561
    Catholic
    Married

Even if your mom can't record it for you, you can still access all of the shows on their website. They've got lots of archives. :)

11. lvbeads

lvbeads ex-member after the change to foru.ms

+8
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Bump up this thread...

I love Fire Mountain Gems too! I'm a glass beadmaker but I need other beads to fill in the gaps. I love stone, so those guys are great for me! I spend way too much, seems to be a common theme here, lol!

12. SabrinaFair

+2,752
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    LOL- tell me about it, I bought more this weekend... sigh. But it was such a great sale, and the beads were so pretty... yada, yada, yada!! ;)

When does the Beaders Anonymous group meet :D ?

"Hi, I'm Sabrina, and I bought beads again yesterday, I can't seem to stop. I need help." (LOL)

13. bellantara

bellantara Senior Veteran

+121
    Anglican
    Single
    US-Republican
    *Bump* :wave: Anybody around to help a brand new beader???

14. ChasingMyDreams

ChasingMyDreams Junior Member

+2
    Anglican
    Private
    Hi, I'm a very keen beader myself I've been beading since I was about 14 my mum got me into beading I gave it away for a few years but seem to always go back to it. I mostly use glass seed beads and at times find it difficult to thread the beads when I'm using clear thread and find more beads end up on the floor than on the thread. I also use crystals and wooden beads. I make bracelets, anklets, necklaces,earrings and I've recently learn't to make angel ornaments from beads and wire thanks to my aunt.

15. Macrina

Macrina Macrinator

+727
    Presbyterian
    Married
    US-Others
    Ooh, that sounds neat! Is it hard?

16. ChasingMyDreams

ChasingMyDreams Junior Member

+2
    Anglican
    Private
    No not at all it's quite easy, if you like I can post the steps to making them yourself.

17. Macrina

Macrina Macrinator

+727
    Presbyterian
    Married
    US-Others
    Oh, please do! I'd really like to try it! :)

18. LovesToRead

LovesToRead My peace I give you. Don't be afraid.

+2,750
    Christian
    Married
    Hi again, I have also ordered from Firemountain and love them too.

What other great online sources for glass beads do any of you like? I had bought some at a bead store on vacation and fire mountain didn't have really anything like what I was looking for, if you can believe that, with their amazing site. I found plenty else I did like...don't get me wrong, but I'm still looking for another great source too.

Thanks!

19. Gardenflower

Gardenflower New Member

+1
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    My dd's and I make cute little stretchy ankle bracelets. They're easy and fun.

Mary~

20. wierdradicalrib

wierdradicalrib Whimsical Nomad

+5
    Pentecostal
    Single
    i bead i can bead native american earrings, and other jewlery, i like beading