01Maverick10

Archer
May 24, 2012
✟13,291.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'd LOVE to go hunting in New Zealand some day!

I am planning on getting a bow for myself for Christmas so I can start hunting in the near future along with my rifle and muzzleloader.

Yep, you wouldn't regret coming here!

Muzzleloaders are awesome :oldthumbsup: I love the smell of black powder in the morning :D

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
When I was a kid we'd shoot our bows in the park. We didn't try to hit anything. The joy was watching the arrow fly....the 'arch' in archery. Seventy years later I'm still fascinated by the flight of an arrow. I shoot a recurve but I do use a sight. Crossbows and compounds are too fast, can't see the arrow fly.

Reactions: SJP51
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I wanted to get a bow for a while now but never got around to doing so. What is better for a beginner, classical or compound bow?

Go to an archery range and try both. See which is the most fun.

I shoot a 40 lb. Martin Hunter recurve.

Deer target-1.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Sunshinee777
Upvote 0

Under_the_moon

Feb 4, 2021
Ontario
✟16,071.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Its been a while since anyone posted to this but I am bored and I like the topic so I make bows for hobby. Long bows and I use sinew. Usually oak but would love to get my hands on some Osage orange. Fun to target shoot melons with them.

Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

SJP51

Jul 21, 2019
Nacogdoches
✟14,846.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I had a short bow as a child but wore it out and my mother refused to get me a new one! :(

It would be great if archery was reintroduced in schools with kids learning to use short and long bows. There is something primal in archery - it just makes you feel like you belong in Nature enjoying the outdoors, shooting at targets, and accomplishing the mastery of this ancient art.

Sadly, there are no archery clubs where I live or I would be doing it right now. And I mean, right at this very moment because it is cool outside and very comfortable.

Many people object to hunting and I think we can all agree there is too much hunting going on thereby endangering some species. Hunting should be allowed but under controlled circumstances. I suggest that hunting be limited to bow and arrows. If rifles are to be used they should be one shot only. However, guides may be allowed to carry repeating rifles in case hunters are under attack from wild beasts. One shot rifles and bow & arrow hunting are what really make hunting into sport.

No, we cannot agree that "there is too much hunting going on".

I suggest that if you don't want to hunt, or don't want to hunt with a mag fed firearm then don't. Make it the sport for that you want it to be. But please don't start in regulating what I can or cannot do, especially when it has no effect what so ever on you.

I will agree that no specie should be hunted to extinction. But I'm not aware of that concern anywhere in the USA.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SJP51

Jul 21, 2019
Nacogdoches
✟14,846.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I enjoy archery very much, practicing about 5 to 6 hours per week. I shoot a Bob Lee takedown recurve: 47# @ 28". Beautiful exotic wood and silkly smooth. Was able to take a deer and a hog with it in January. What a kick that was!

I find traditional gear much more challenging and rewarding, but don't turn my nose up at anyone using a compound bow. I still shoot a compound as well as rifle, pistol, and shotgun for hunting and targets.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sunshinee777

Supporter
Mar 9, 2020
Finland
✟168,856.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I want to try some day! I watched archery videos from tiktok and it looks so much fun..
Any archery enthusiasts out there? Been shooting since I was young but wanted a different challenge when hunting... Just got myself a 55# recurve. Haven't gone hunting with it yet but looking forward to it.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If rifles are to be used they should be one shot only. However, guides may be allowed to carry repeating rifles in case hunters are under attack from wild beasts. One shot rifles and bow & arrow hunting are what really make hunting into sport.

Most game kills are made with only one shot regardless of the capacity of the firearm. Go sit in the woods during opening day of deer season. You will rarely hear multiple shots being fired. If you do be assured that the hunter is missing the deer. As a meat cutter I have processed hundreds of deer. I rarely found one with multiple bullet wounds. I personally have never needed a second shot to down a deer.

Upvote 0