Prayer in Breakbeat
Mar 4, 2013
United States
✟16,252.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'm taking a bit of a hiatus for the time being, mostly in the sense that I'm coming back to my faith with a strength that I've never had before, previous to this - in secular - I had about 14 years as a bedroom producer, mostly pensive/moody drum n' bass. Still have all my gear (DAW, monitors, etc), even got myself an Access Virus TI in the past few months hoping to sort of bring myself back in once my passions have rekindled toward production.

Is anyone else active here in production? I'd love to get back to it from the Christian perspective and infuse love of Christ into it. The trick I think will be spending preferably at least a year in the path before I do so just so that I can really be sure on my accuracy for the interior feel of things and make sure its adequately integrated.

tashmadden

Mar 24, 2013
✟15,113.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey there!

I like to make a lot of electronic/experimental/dance music and it's completely based in Biblical and Godly truth. If you give me an email at or message or whatever, then we can have a chat about God and music! Dance music is really close to my heart!

Take care,
Tash

Upvote 0

tashmadden

Mar 24, 2013
✟15,113.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm sorry, I can't send PMs yet because I just signed up! Your music is great! Very exciting to me! I can't send you a link to my page for the same reason I can't PM you, but I have followed you on soundcloud. If you can't find me, search for natashamadden and I'll be there. Do you make much music now as a Christian?

Upvote 0

Ecclectic79

Prayer in Breakbeat
Mar 4, 2013
United States
✟16,252.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'm sorry, I can't send PMs yet because I just signed up! Your music is great! Very exciting to me! I can't send you a link to my page for the same reason I can't PM you, but I have followed you on soundcloud. If you can't find me, search for natashamadden and I'll be there.
If I have the right profile I'm liking your acoustic basis a lot. Also glad you go for some murk, one of the saddest things to me at least is that people so often tend to turn their nose up at anything that's electronic but not poppy/bubblegum. So much reverence and depth to be found in the deeper sounds.

Do you make much music now as a Christian?
I'm about 3 months in to my re-conversion, had been a seeker so I'm hoping those days are over. I've largely taken the last year off for various reasons, might wait a while just because - only being back in 3 months I'm hoping that my seeking is done (ie. that I won't be right back somewhere else) but it seems like I'm finding what I need.

With the music though I'm quite driven regarding honesty and realism (even hyper-realism when I can manage). I'm hoping to really get my head and heart more fully wrapped around the Christian essence of things so I can present it right. Not saying I can't collab with anyone till then, just that I may wait till I have a stronger sense of what it's all about so I can deliver it with the appropriate level of emotional punch and accuracy if you get my drift. :)

Upvote 0

tashmadden

Mar 24, 2013
✟15,113.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thankyou- I really like to play with acoustic instruments as well as utilising MIDI and stuff like that.... I guess I see every sound as "raw" material, so everything is kind of natural and beautiful to me. Maybe I don't discriminate enough, because there's a fair amount going on! haha. I'm comfortable with the awkwardness of my music, I guess.

Which brings me to the next part of your message! I agree that it's difficult to find Christian musicians that are interested in "ugly" or "murky" or "dark" sounds. Often I find that a lot of Christian music attempts to convey "complexity" or "emotion" through distortion or minor chords, but this is problematic. A lot of times sensitivity and depth can be sacrificed for the sake of an "edgy" sound.

At the other end of the spectrum is obviously the CCM scene which is very life affirming but the music is truly awful! So both the music and the message need to be completely intertwined for me.

As a musician dedicated to God, I believe in making music that celebrates all aspects of living out biblical truth. This includes the joy of having a home in Jesus, the graciousness and gentleness of God's love, the frustration of living a disciplined life, and the absolute agony of being sinful.

Your music is really cool!

Upvote 0

Ecclectic79

Prayer in Breakbeat
Mar 4, 2013
United States
✟16,252.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Thankyou- I really like to play with acoustic instruments as well as utilising MIDI and stuff like that.... I guess I see every sound as "raw" material, so everything is kind of natural and beautiful to me. Maybe I don't discriminate enough, because there's a fair amount going on! haha. I'm comfortable with the awkwardness of my music, I guess.

I'm coming from a history of being in love with dark rolling techstep dnb since 1997 or so, so anything accoustic, any electronics cooked down enough to sound like impossible organics or create a warped, drippy, Aliens type atmosphere I was all about. Not that I'd try to make Christian music sounding like Decoder or Future Forces Inc., its a big world and there are better sound pallets for the job, but there's a lot of majesty in all kinds of sounds all over the spectrum - which is why our culture's bubblegum fetish when it comes to electronic really saddens me.

One thing I'm still trying to figure out though is what qualifies electronic music as Christian or secular. A lot of it does not have words. I'm sure band name or song names could be generally a source for meditation on an idea (not implying that in the 'Christian Mystic' direction) so even without words the music can be the exploration and the song title or few vocal samples can be the directions I suppose.

Which brings me to the next part of your message! I agree that it's difficult to find Christian musicians that are interested in "ugly" or "murky" or "dark" sounds. Often I find that a lot of Christian music attempts to convey "complexity" or "emotion" through distortion or minor chords, but this is problematic. A lot of times sensitivity and depth can be sacrificed for the sake of an "edgy" sound.

You know, I actually meant that in regard to all the stuff that seems popular. It seems like the two names that have jumped out in contemporary electronic - ie. Skrillex and Deadmau5 - both sound like they're trying to emulate Timbaland in their own respective genres, they just need T-Pain singing/vocoding over all of their tracks to put icing on the cake. So many people act like if you're not into that then what's the point of electronic? I think that's really where I'm going. I'm not going to knock anyone for liking that kind of stuff, to me its just a load of teen angst - its missing introspect, its missing exploration and journey, IMHO ain't got enough soul innit.

At the other end of the spectrum is obviously the CCM scene which is very life affirming but the music is truly awful! So both the music and the message need to be completely intertwined for me.
You said country. I don't think there's any amount of Christian vocals that can make a telecaster sound good to my ears.

As a musician dedicated to God, I believe in making music that celebrates all aspects of living out biblical truth. This includes the joy of having a home in Jesus, the graciousness and gentleness of God's love, the frustration of living a disciplined life, and the absolute agony of being sinful.
Bible and ontology are a great focus for sure. I get the impression as well that whatever we explore we draw a certain relationship with and if its something we want more affinity with we draw that affinity by focusing our attention on it. I'm sure in that sense the creative process for edifying Christ in and of itself brings us farther as its an exercise in contemplating him.

BTW, if you ever wanted to collaborate on a track I like your textures a lot. It would be awesome if you set the ground rules or foundation of the track, I'd encourage your usual actually. It may or may not take off but it might be worth a try one of these times.

Upvote 0
Mar 12, 2014
Washington
Visit site
✟15,390.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

djsciple

Site Supporter
Jul 20, 2014
✟22,691.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Ecclectic79, I'm a Christian DJ mixing trance, dance and dubstep and I know that feeling of inspiration and desire to create something special. I enjoy hearing my music as much as mixing it. In creating dj mixes, I document it in a notebook for transitions, effects, cue points, etc., practice and then perform. One year sounds like a long time since my wife is usually like "just mix it!" I'm praying for the right person or inspiration to find you on these forums and that you stay motivated to complete your project.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums