• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Anxiety

mlepfitjw

May you be blessed!
Jun 23, 2020
Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Clertole, You can always read the new testament. Did you know 20 minutes spent reading something can distract your mind from what is bothering you? There are scriptures about anxiety if you are interested in reading that, you can ask God if you need wisdom for help with this he will not rebuke you for asking. (Im not a doctor but it is true that you are important, you matter, and God does love you, he can help heal our minds by renewing our minds (Romans 12:1-2), and heal our hearts. Take care, I am going on to work now.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,959.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
This anxiety is crippling my capacity to go about and be normal. I know God is with me but, I cant help and have some questions. Why is it happening to me? What can I do to fight it? I feel like it's too much already.
Hiya, I’m a therapist (CBT). Anxiety disorders respond really well to a course of CBT. If you like I can send you some evidence based resources I give to my patients with anxiety and panic.

When I say evidence based I mean they have been clinically shown to to help people manage their symptoms.

I can post the links if you like.

Reactions: MommyGirl
Upvote 0

MaxQ

Cow Cuddler
Jan 20, 2021
Brisbane
✟8,373.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Naturalist
Marital Status
Single
This anxiety is crippling my capacity to go about and be normal. I know God is with me but, I cant help and have some questions. Why is it happening to me? What can I do to fight it? I feel like it's too much already.
It's your lucky day, since I am able to expound the cause behind anxiety. Anxiety is your brain warning you that you've become accustomed to coping with problems (Rather than dealing directly with them)

:)

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,272,504.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Anxiety can be crippling I know. Mindfulness meditation helps for me from creating an anxious mindset that can spiral out of control. Also addressing issues in life even just one at a time tangibly reduces anxious thoughts from starting in the first place.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,959.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
It's your lucky day, since I am able to expound the cause behind anxiety. Anxiety is your brain warning you that you've become accustomed to coping with problems (Rather than dealing directly with them)

:)
Kinda, sorta.

When we avoid the anxiety provoking stimulus (and our anxiety drops) we associate that avoidance with anxiety reduction.

So avoidance becomes our default strategy (safety behaviour) to reduce our anxiety.

So when we cannot avoid it our anxiety sky rockets as we have no way to manage our anxiety (other than escape behaviour).

Treating anxiety basically comes down to exposure therapy in some form or other.

Reactions: MommyGirl
Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Anxiety has been one of the biggest enemies i faced fighting mental illness. The problem with anxiety is that if we believe our fears we get completely lost in them. So it is about learning to look at Jesus during an anxiety attack and giving Him all of our fears and let Him still our hearts.

Jesus has taught me to go to Him in even my greatest fear, once i did that my battle with fear has become a lot easier. It is about denying anxious thoughts even when you are anxious but train our minds to hold onto the truth of God and His word be a lamp unto our feet.

It took me years to trust Jesus even when paranoia raged mercilessly but He has taught me. Once Jesus is our saviour in our anxious times, instead of our judge, the fears begin to subside, for His perfect love cast out fear and comforts the fearful one.

Be of good courage.

Reactions: Lost4words
Upvote 0

MaxQ

Cow Cuddler
Jan 20, 2021
Brisbane
✟8,373.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Naturalist
Marital Status
Single
Kinda, sorta.

When we avoid the anxiety provoking stimulus (and our anxiety drops) we associate that avoidance with anxiety reduction.

So avoidance becomes our default strategy (safety behaviour) to reduce our anxiety.

So when we cannot avoid it our anxiety sky rockets as we have no way to manage our anxiety (other than escape behaviour).

Treating anxiety basically comes down to exposure therapy in some form or other.
We think that our anxiety will disappear once we stay clear of the problems we need to face. But in fact it diminishes our ability to learn better ways to deal with day to day problems. Stress is healthy for adapting to new and unknown situations; so long as it's necessary stresses of life. Not taking on unnecessary stress is a precursor for reducing anxiety when faced with problems. However being over stressed and anxious prevents our brains from absorbing the knowledge we need to tackle the difficult issues we face. Ever being in a library studying for an important test and a child start's screaming?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

Maybe shift whatever you think is to "be normal".

Anxiety may be the extra boost you need to do some work He has prepared for you to do.

It could be like a stimulus check into the economy of your being.

Anyways, I feel for your perplexity...in what to do with this extra energy...I've had it my whole life.

I am at a place in my life where I am confident in His work in me and to think about these tools objectively, and to harness it for the cause.

Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Last edited:
Upvote 0

JesseBassett

Follower of the way, the truth, and the life....
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2004
Inver Grove Heights, MN, USA
Visit site
✟422,588.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
@Clertole,
What can you do to fight anxiety? Well as someone who suffers from it myself, I find these simple things help:

1. Do not worry about what you cannot control or change
2. Focus on your reactions to life events
3. Pray to the Lord for comfort and peace
4. Listen to some good music!
5. Watch a good television program
6. Read a good book for a bit
7. Take a nap!
Just a few suggestions. Blessings!

Upvote 0

Froggymom101

Jan 29, 2019
Flat Rock
✟10,632.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

God is with you and will provide the graces necessary to overcome. Remember, God did not spear his only son from the cross. Sometimes we also are called to suffer but to keep trusting in God. Keep up your prayer life and fasting. I will be praying for you too.

Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0

Jaxxi

Half-ready for Anything.....
Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
My son is going through the same thing I think. He gets to where he is curled up in a ball vomiting. He has no idea why either.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hanging by a Thread

Jan 31, 2021
fulton
✟15,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Hiya, I’m a therapist (CBT). Anxiety disorders respond really well to a course of CBT. If you like I can send you some evidence based resources I give to my patients with anxiety and panic.

When I say evidence based I mean they have been clinically shown to to help people manage their symptoms.

I can post the links if you like.
The problem I found in an online CBT course is that it assumes you're blowing things out of proportion, to ask yourself, "is this really true?" and to come up with a counter thought that implies it's not as bad as you're making it out to be. For some of us, it really is true and yes, it is that bad.

Upvote 0

Hanging by a Thread

Jan 31, 2021
fulton
✟15,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Kinda, sorta.

Yep. So how do you deal with the triggers? You can get back on the horse, but what it the horse keeps throwing you?

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,959.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
The problem I found in an online CBT course is that it assumes you're blowing things out of proportion, to ask yourself, "is this really true?" and to come up with a counter thought that implies it's not as bad as you're making it out to be. For some of us, it really is true and yes, it is that bad.
Cognitive restructuring is only part of CBT. Online CBT would not be my 1st choice.

Self referring to one’s local primary care mental health service would be the best option.

Upvote 0

Lyn112

Sep 11, 2021
London
✟7,812.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Clertole,

I sympathise with you. I’m also suffering from anxiety and frankly it has been quite stressful to deal with but what has been helping me is natural therapies. Recently I have been using lavender oil and some herbal supplements. I don’t know if it's a placebo effect or something else, but I have been so much calmer and feel more in control. There are a variety of Chinese Medicine from different cultures that might be able to help you with health anxiety.

Upvote 0