• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Featured Anxiety Over The Unforgivable Sin

Discussion in 'Christian Advice' started by ZIGGY5214, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Kenny'sID

Kenny'sID Well-Known Member Supporter

+5,504
    Christian
    Single
    Happy to help, and yes, this is a good place to get answers. Sometimes you have to sort out what true and what's not, but it's a great place to start.

2. Anthony2019

Anthony2019 A work in progress. Being moulded by the Potter! Supporter

+4,927
    United Kingdom
    Anglican
    Single
    If are suffering from this problem recurrently and it is having a negative affect on your life, then it sounds to me that you are suffering from obsessive compulsive disorder, but no-one here can give you that diagnosis, you will have to speak to your doctor.

One of the major symptoms of OCD is experiencing negative intrusive thoughts (obsessions) which cause the person to perform a series of actions (compulsions) to try and neutralise the thoughts and reduce anxiety. Obsessions will vary from person to person and therefore if someone has a faith and suffers from anxiety or insecurity, then their obsessions will have a religious theme.

If you do have OCD, then you are not alone. OCD is often regarded as a spectrum disorder with many people having varying degrees of the condition. The good news is that the condition is treatable. Cognitive behaviour therapy often helps the person talk through how their feelings are affecting them and to set realistic goals on how to deal with them. The other therapy is exposure and response prevention (ERP) which helps people confront their obsessions and resist the urge to carry out compulsions. The idea is that when a person learns to stop reacting excessively to an obsession, the obsessive-compulsive cycle is broken and their anxiety starts to decrease. In some cases, a doctor will prescribe an antidepressant to help relieve the obsessive symptoms.

My advice is that whenever you pray to God to help you with an unsettling thought or obsession, you should believe in faith that He will guide and protect you and you must stop worrying about that thought and find something else to occupy your mind. You only need to pray once and trust God. If you keep thinking about the same obsession, and reciting prayers over and over again, this is going to make you feel more anxious and exhausted. Find something to do today which you really enjoy, maybe a favourite pasttime or hobby. Better still, find someone today who needs your help and spend time with them - it will help them as well as boosting your confidence and self-esteem. It will help refocus your mind and reduce your anxiety.

I hope this helps.

3. Michael Collum

Michael Collum Everything began with a voice, use yours Supporter

+3,818
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    If you still get the same kind of thoughts over something else, it may be that thing described in Romans 7 that made Paul feel like such a wretched man. It may be the sin living in your fleshly body trying to take control.

1Jo 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

I find, what garbage my body comes up with isn't attributed to me, and if I confess it, the mass of sin responsible for the thoughts vanishes.

that's what comes to mind from my experience.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  4. Sam91

Sam91 Child of the Living God Supporter

+7,913
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Private
    Philippians 3:13

"But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead" ♡

5. Johnny4ChristJesus

Johnny4ChristJesus Well-Known Member Supporter

+821
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I don't believe you would want to come to God in this life if you had committed that sin. I agree with the person who said you are under attack. I tell the boys I work with all the time that Jesus never said you wouldn't hear other voices.

Jesus said: "My sheep hear my voice and a stranger's they won't follow." Note, He doesn't say a stranger's they won't hear. I share that our job is to discern the voice and ignore the ones that don't line up with the will of God. So, when I open a door and hear a voice that says: "Wouldn't it be funny if you let the door close right when someone was approaching and they walked into it and fell" I know that isn't God speaking and I don't do it. We get to control what thoughts we let land in our airport (mind), we don't get to control which thoughts fly over.

Jesus told us we would have trials, tribulations and persecution in this world. Paul told Timothy to have a little wine to help with his stomach problems, so you aren't alone in suffering attacks like this. Peter and John took the whipping and came out praising God that they were counted worthy to suffer for His Name! So, count it all joy and watch what God does as you stand fast, diligently seek God, draw near to God, submit to God and resist the devil, and continue to renew your mind through it all!

Yay, God!

6. dstamps

dstamps New Member Supporter

+29
    United States
    Christian
    Divorced
    US-Others
    Man is to be reborn. Thus, a change has to occur. For all changes, there is a first step, which is followed by the other steps in order until the change is realized--rebirth.

The Spirit we have determines what we seek. If we have the Holy Spirit, we will seek the things of GOD. Therefore, the Spirit is the first step for the change Man needs to be reborn. Before we can be reborn, we must begin seeking the things of GOD needed for our rebirth. As long as we are seeking self-serving goals, we are denying (blaspheming) the Holy Spirit--considering that Spirit as having no value to us.

Therefore, until we begin seeking how we can contribute to the Purposes of GOD, we cannot be forgiven. We are in an unforgivable state of being.

7. Artra

Artra The unforgivable sin is not repenting

+110
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    I have committed very severe blasphemies in the past, and I was terrified that I committed the unforgivable sin before I started to grow into the Faith. With that said, use what I'm about to say however feels right in your heart.

I've learned through meditation that blasphemy is harmful because it weakens reverence to God and things pertaining to Him. Just saying things like 'Oh my God' could be considered blasphemy because it dilutes the reverence of the Lord in our hearts to create emphasis on some sort of shock or exasperation. The unpardonable sin isn't unforgivable because the Lord refuses to grant forgiveness; it is impossible to provide forgiveness for a sin that will not reach repentance. The Holy Spirit convicts you of your sins so you may seek out the Lord to ask to be absolved. If you weaken your connection to the Holy Spirit with blasphemies such as saying Jesus is a false messiah or has an unclean spirit, and let that harden in your heart, the Holy Spirit will never be able to reach you. Any sin The Spirit tries to grant conviction towards you for will become unpardonable as you would refuse the saving Grace of the Holy Spirit completely.

The fact that you are anxious that the sins and blasphemies you have committed are unforgivable means you are still being convicted by the Holy Spirit. Keep seeking repentance no matter what, and I pray you'll reach the forgiveness you are looking for

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. Kenny'sID

+5,504
    Christian
    Single
    Can you please point out where scripture refers to what you claim as the actual biblical "unforgivable sin"?

That may be blasphemy, just as many other things are blasphemy, and forgivable, but they aren't blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, the one that is not forgivable.

Yes it is, he said so right here, and the following is the Lord speaking:

Mark 3:28-30: "Truly I tell you, all sins and blasphemes will be forgiven for the sons of men. But whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven, but is guilty of an eternal sin. He said this because they [the Pharisees] were saying, 'He has an evil spirit'."

Can you not see it?

9. Artra

Artra The unforgivable sin is not repenting

+110
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    It is the Holy Spirit that can pull you back to Faith after you reject the Father and Son. If you reject the Holy Spirit, believing He is false or that you do not need the Spirit to be Saved, then your sins will be eternal; The Spirit cannot work in your heart, and your sins will not be forgiven because the journey to redemption is impossible. They are Eternal Sins. The Pharisees never allowed their hearts to be touched by the Holy Spirit, outright blaspheming it as the work of the Devil. How could they be reached then? Their hearts were hardened in their ways. God would grant them forgiveness through the Son, but they refused to allow the Holy Spirit to guide them to Him, so they would never be forgiven.

I don't say this to claim superior wisdom; this is what my heart has guided me towards. If you believe I'm still blind I will pray on it.

EDIT: I understand now, I misspoke. This is the clarification I was going for. I'll do more soul-searching and be more mindful of my words from now on. I'll also step back from here and give myself time to clear my mind. Reject all of what I wrote if you feel that's right, thank you.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  10. 1am3laine

1am3laine Active Member

+174
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    This happens to MANY people once they read the unpardonable sin verses.
    I assure you that with much prayer, fasting, and getting hands laid on you by Holy Spirit filled people they do go away. For some, it's days or even years but they do leave.
    It's a lot of people who talk about it on youtube. #OCD #Scrupulosity

11. dstamps

+29
    United States
    Christian
    Divorced
    US-Others
    The Bible is a unified, synergistic document. You can't point to one or two verses and conclude that you fully understand the concept you think you see. That would be like the Trigonometry formula c(squared)=a(squared)+ b(squared) for a triangle. Knowing the formula does not allow you to determine the length of a 3rd side if you know the length of the other 2 sides. There has to be a much greater understanding of Trigonometry as a unified, synergistic math science.

The 'unforgivable sin' concept is founded on understandings given us first in the Genesis 1 chapter. Understanding Genesis 1 is the Spiritual Key to understanding the entire Bible.

12. Kenny'sID

+5,504
    Christian
    Single
    IOW, you can't cite the scripture I asked for, the one that would prove your point?

Of course I can "point to one or two verses and conclude that I fully understand the concept"..

I already did it, and it was actually very easy to do, and easy to understand.

Anyway, thanks just the same.

13. Hawkins

Hawkins Member Supporter

+205
    Canada
    Christian
    Married
    What Jesus tried to illustrate is that,

1) The blasphemy of Jesus should have been an unforgivable death sin. However, Jesus came to accept insults from sinners as part of how He atones for our sins.

2) The Holy Spirit works non-stop for human salvation. At the point of one's death while he's still not a believer of Jesus, it's thus a blasphemy.

Other than that,
    Hebrews 4:16 (NIV2011)
    Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.

14. chilehed

chilehed Veteran

+809
    Catholic
    Married
    The unforgivable sin is final impenitence: the refusal, at one's death, of God's friendship. Whatever sin you may have committed in the past, it's never too late for forgiveness as long as you're alive, and the fact that you are so distressed about your sins is a good sign.

15. Kenny'sID

+5,504
    Christian
    Single
    God grant me patience. lol

16. ZIGGY5214

ZIGGY5214 New Member

+9
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    I hope that the fact I'm worried about what I thought I said is proof that I didn't commit that sin. I would never say anything wrong on purpose and enjoy it and not be nervous about it. I still wanna learn more in the Bible. I don't have a hardened heart and I don't hate.

17. dstamps

+29
    United States
    Christian
    Divorced
    US-Others
    Great! Then we both also know why Jesus was in the heart of the earth for 3 days and 3 nights and not some other time frame. Naturally, why GOD, Christ, and the Holy Spirit are all referred to as being male rather than female.

I could probably list a 100 or more similar questions not discussed or answered in religious circles.

One would be 'Who is Christ's spiritual mother?' Since you fully understand the Bible, perhaps you could enlighten me.

18. Bruce Leiter

Bruce Leiter Active Member

+229
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Ziggy, I have an article about OCD and anxiety for you, NIMH » Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder . I had clinical depression for seven years. It was like descending into a deep, dark hole. I was a pastor then. I know firsthand about mental illness; it's nothing to be ashamed of.

Some Christians don't believe in getting psychological help and taking medicine for mental diseases. They say that they will use only prayer.

However, I believe in the Creator-God of the Bible, who has blessed us with medical means to give us a healthy life. He gave me mental-health professionals to get me in touch with my buried anger. The first two didn't help me, but when I entered Pine Rest Christian Mental Hospital in Grand Rapids, Michigan, he began to work. Then, when I became aware of my anger over losses in my past, he broke through to teach me lamenting like Job, David, and Jeremiah. After my persistent lamenting over several months, he took away my depression (gone now 32 years) and gave me the peace that transcends understanding of Philippians 4:6-7 (continues about those issues 33 years).

So you see that he used psychological means and honest lamenting to heal me. He can do that for you too.

One other thing, my understanding of the passages about the unforgivable sin is that it is a whole lifetime of rebellion against God like the Pharisees who accused Jesus of blasphemy. Instead, they were sadly committing the unforgivable sin if they didn't eventually repent.

19. Kenny'sID

+5,504
    Christian
    Single
    I asked a simple answer to a simple question on the subject we were disusing, and it's ok if you can't answer it, but now you're now so far off in nother world I have no idea what you're talking about....do you?

Is it any wonder some of the people coming here looking for answers get confused?

20. dstamps

+29
    United States
    Christian
    Divorced
    US-Others
    I answered the question some time ago. Apparently, you had have an incorrect answer that you want to believe. That is your problem not mine. End of discussion between you and me.