• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Anxiety & Hypochondria

MamaV

Jun 1, 2015
✟7,668.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Hello! I am very new to this site and this is my first post! I wanted to reach out to the Christian community looking for support and sage words of advice in regards to Anxiety and specifically Hypochondria. I have dealt with this for basically my whole life and am just recently starting to REALLY try to dig deep with it in regards to solving it and coming to peace in my life. Short back story, always had anxiety, was diagnosed with MS in college and since then basically the anxiety has always been health related.

I am sort of feeling like I am at the point where I am seeing God's hand in all of this, and wanting to learn the WHY of it and what is the lesson here? I used to get very scared and think of each symptom as its own thing - is God telling me to go to the doctor because I have some horrible problem, and if I catch it soon enough it will be ok?

Now, I am maybe feeling more like God wants me to have to deal with the uncertainty. The point is to resist calling the doctor, resist checking my lymph nodes, and be of good courage and to trust that God is in control. (I think in hypochondria we all think that we are in control, and that we have to be vigilant about staying on our toes to catch any sign of impending illness.)

Has anyone else had similar feelings? How have you guys responded to this and how have you gotten through? What do you do with the temptations to check your body, even though you KNOW you will just get freaked out if you do? Any good Bible verses or stories that help you have some peace and remember God is in control?

Thank you!!!!!!

• Prayers
Reactions: Gabriel Anton
Hello MamaV
I too have struggled on a daily basis with anxiety and hypochondria (my whole life) and I am an "older" individual.
I have had so many tests for all kinds of symptoms and thank God tests have come back ok, but the symptoms don't go away. I panic at my health issues which I know makes them worse. I love the Lord and He tells us over and over "Do not fear". What don't I get about that? I walk around in constant fear and anxiety. I have suffered off and on for years with tightness in my throat like something is stuck and sore, burning, irritated. I have had multiple tests over the last few years but they find only Gerd. I'm so thankful for that but now I wonder if they missed something or something new has developed. It's with me constantly. I have fought with this type of fear and anxiety since I was a child many years ago. I pray and chat with Jesus all the time but He hasn't answered thus for me. I have a lot of stress in my life which doesn't help.
How are you doing? Nice to know we are never alone.
Have a Blessed night.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

MamaV

Jun 1, 2015
✟7,668.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Hi Buddykisses - thanks for your response! I haven't been on this site for a while, but you are right - it is nice to know we are never alone. I TOTALLY know what you mean about going to the doctor and then after a good result immediately questioning that and wondering if they missed something, or didn't really understand what I was talking about.

I think trust is an issue for me and that I don't really FULLY know what it means to trust God. When I am in panic, I want to go to the doc and trust them to check it out, but then I end up questioning them so that isn't really trust. I seem to be trusting my fears more than anything else, but I don't know how to change that! I know people say "do what you can and leave the rest up to God" but then I don't know what it is I am supposed to be doing! All these stupid tv commercials for medications make it seem like there are so many "threats" in this world, that I feel justifed in always worrying about it, but yet I also know that we aren't supposed to live our lives like this.

I still am learning so much about the Bible, but I also try to read Bible verses to calm myself or give reassurance - but then I struggle with feeling like those words were for those people in the Bible - maybe they don't apply to me? Do you have any go to verses?

• Prayers
Upvote 0
Hi Buddykisses - thanks for your response! I haven't been on this site for a while, but you are right - it is nice to know we are never alone. I TOTALLY know what you mean about going to the doctor and then after a good result immediately questioning that and wondering if they missed something, or didn't really understand what I was talking about.

I think trust is an issue for me and that I don't really FULLY know what it means to trust God. When I am in panic, I want to go to the doc and trust them to check it out, but then I end up questioning them so that isn't really trust. I seem to be trusting my fears more than anything else, but I don't know how to change that! I know people say "do what you can and leave the rest up to God" but then I don't know what it is I am supposed to be doing! All these stupid tv commercials for medications make it seem like there are so many "threats" in this world, that I feel justifed in always worrying about it, but yet I also know that we aren't supposed to live our lives like this.

I still am learning so much about the Bible, but I also try to read Bible verses to calm myself or give reassurance - but then I struggle with feeling like those words were for those people in the Bible - maybe they don't apply to me? Do you have any go to verses?

Hi MamaV

• Prayers
Upvote 0
Hi MamaV
I was so delighted to get your reply! I hope this reply finds you feeling better today.
I don't know how long you have been walking with Jesus, but for me Trust is also an issue. When humans fail us and we lose trust we often associate that loss even to God. I have learned over the years that HE never fails us, never leaves us alone in despair and never hurts us. It is hard to feel strong and safe when we are scared, but I find strength in so many verses. One of my favorites that I say to myself all the time is found in Phillipians 4:13 (I can do All things through Christ who gives me strength)..I also find peace in the 23 rd Psalm where He tells us we walk THROUGH the valley of death, not into the valley of death. HE is our Abba (daddy)...our Loving Father, who loves us soooooo much that HE sent His only son to die for us..just sit and think about that in itself. Ask GOD to clear your mind and help you understand His word before you open your Bible to read..I always pray before reading the Bible that HE would help me understand HIS word. It's not an easy book to understand but the Holy Spririt that lives in HIS Saved children will help you.
I'm not into television and movies, but there is a movie that I've watched dozens of times that may help give you a better understanding....it's an old film with Robert Powel called "Jesus of Nazareth". It brings tears to my eyes just thinking about His love. Try to get a copy and curl up with a four legged friend if you have one, tissues and a cup o tea. It's long so pick a Saturday or what works best for you.
I'm putting together a list of some verses that may help you out. I wish I didn't suffer from anxiety, stress and hypochondria...I struggle daily with this lump in throat feeling and pray for healing, but it hasn't come. I will pray for you too. Fear not my friend....we must work on being strong. Not easy and HE knows that too.
Will write more later..
God Bless

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,659.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I would advise going to your physician and getting a referral for cognitive behavioural therapy. The evidence base for effective treatment of anxiety disorders is very solid.

All the best.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

MamaV

Jun 1, 2015
✟7,668.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Hi MamaV
I was so delighted to get your reply! I hope this reply finds you feeling better today.
I don't know how long you have been walking with Jesus, but for me Trust is also an issue. When humans fail us and we lose trust we often associate that loss even to God. I have learned over the years that HE never fails us, never leaves us alone in despair and never hurts us. It is hard to feel strong and safe when we are scared, but I find strength in so many verses. One of my favorites that I say to myself all the time is found in Phillipians 4:13 (I can do All things through Christ who gives me strength)..I also find peace in the 23 rd Psalm where He tells us we walk THROUGH the valley of death, not into the valley of death. HE is our Abba (daddy)...our Loving Father, who loves us soooooo much that HE sent His only son to die for us..just sit and think about that in itself. Ask GOD to clear your mind and help you understand His word before you open your Bible to read..I always pray before reading the Bible that HE would help me understand HIS word. It's not an easy book to understand but the Holy Spririt that lives in HIS Saved children will help you.
I'm not into television and movies, but there is a movie that I've watched dozens of times that may help give you a better understanding....it's an old film with Robert Powel called "Jesus of Nazareth". It brings tears to my eyes just thinking about His love. Try to get a copy and curl up with a four legged friend if you have one, tissues and a cup o tea. It's long so pick a Saturday or what works best for you.
I'm putting together a list of some verses that may help you out. I wish I didn't suffer from anxiety, stress and hypochondria...I struggle daily with this lump in throat feeling and pray for healing, but it hasn't come. I will pray for you too. Fear not my friend....we must work on being strong. Not easy and HE knows that too.
Will write more later..
God Bless

Hi Buddykisses - I don't really know how to "quote" in these forums, so I am not sure if I am doing that right! I have been having a lot of up and down days lately, but I've been in panic mode today as I have a doc appointment tomorrow, and all I can think of is the worst case scenarios. I know that anything is possible for God, but for some reason I have doubts that He would come through for me - I think I need to really work on strengthening my faith and trust. Also, lately I feel like I've been coming across things saying that anxiety and hypochondria are a sin, which just makes me more anxious! Have you ever tried any medications for it? I am considering that now, although part of me feels like I shouldn't "need" it, you know? Argh!

• Prayers
Upvote 0

MamaV

Jun 1, 2015
✟7,668.00
Faith
Presbyterian
I would advise going to your physician and getting a referral for cognitive behavioural therapy. The evidence base for effective treatment of anxiety disorders is very solid.

All the best.

Hi Larnievc,
Thanks for the response. I've tried CBT a bit in the past, with off and on success. I recently started seeing a new therapist, so I might bring up that option again. Thanks!

• Prayers
Upvote 0

madera23

May 14, 2014
✟634.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican

• Prayers
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Jun 28, 2017
Miami
✟15,656.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm so annoyed with this health anxiety
It's a new thing every week.. I'm anxious about a brain amoeba I was showering and when I stepped out that thought just came it happened 2 days ago it's summer here in Florida I'm terrified I'm im in pain my head hurts arms back my back trying to stay strong it's hard

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Jasmine W

Feb 25, 2018
San Marcos
✟7,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm so annoyed with this health anxiety
It's a new thing every week.. I'm anxious about a brain amoeba I was showering and when I stepped out that thought just came it happened 2 days ago it's summer here in Florida I'm terrified I'm im in pain my head hurts arms back my back trying to stay strong it's hard
I’m new here, and am not sure if I’m “quoting” correcting, but I’m dealing with the same thing! It’s so nice to know that I’m not alone! I’ve been a hypochondriac since middle school, but now it’s affecting my daily activities. Every ache and pain leads me to think I have a major issue. I know where it stems from, I knew two people who died by themselves from a brain aneurysm and aortic aneurysm in middle school and college, but even though I know the root issue, it still takes a toll on me. I saw a therapist for a year, then started anti anxiety medication, but then wanted to try to handle it naturally. I understand God’s love for me and I fully accept Jesus into my heart. I know that we have eternal life in Heaven after we leave this world. My issue is being alone and being scared I’ll start dying alone and no one will be there, just like the girls I knew. If anyone has any suggestions, I’d appreciate it!

Upvote 0