Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Had a bit of a faith-related anxiety attack today. I’m starting to feel better, but still not really in a good place. I saw an article from a pastor that left me spiraling and I’m not sure if it was actual conviction or just my anxiety acting up again.

Please pray that, if it is His will, that God will grant me peace tonight, and the discernment to know whether or not these feelings are from Him.

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Please pray that, if it is His will, that God will grant me peace tonight, and the discernment to know whether or not these feelings are from Him.

I would have trouble believing something like that would be from the Lord. The only exception is if you are embarking on a really self destructive course, and are given a "moment of clarity" to scare you straight. But even that is not quiet anxiety, which is generalized fear rather than it coming from a specific source.

Have you done anything with cognitive therapy? There is one Stoic exercise of not avoiding worries but going with them and actively thinking of worst case scenarios; because quite often most things we fear are not as bad as we imagine them to be.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Had a bit of a faith-related anxiety attack today. I’m starting to feel better, but still not really in a good place. I saw an article from a pastor that left me spiraling and I’m not sure if it was actual conviction or just my anxiety acting up again.

I will definitely pray because i suffer with these attacks too for same reason around religion (I have religious OCD/Scrupulosity and religion based PTSD due to cult abuse) and i totally understand what you are going through. i am having therapy also for mine.

bless you, sister. you are loved.

Upvote 0

Duke of Stratford

One day at a time.
Jun 2, 2019
America
✟33,483.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I will definitely pray because i suffer with these attacks too for same reason around religion (I have religious OCD/Scrupulosity and religion based PTSD due to cult abuse) and i totally understand what you are going through. i am having therapy also for mine.

bless you, sister. you are loved.

Thanks, sister. Praying for you, too.

I think I may have OCD/Scrupulosity, but I haven’t been diagnosed and I don’t know when I’ll be able to see a professional. Of course, I’m worried that it might not be anxiety and that I’m really in trouble.

Upvote 0

Duke of Stratford

One day at a time.
Jun 2, 2019
America
✟33,483.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I would have trouble believing something like that would be from the Lord. The only exception is if you are embarking on a really self destructive course, and are given a "moment of clarity" to scare you straight. But even that is not quiet anxiety, which is generalized fear rather than it coming from a specific source.

Have you done anything with cognitive therapy? There is one Stoic exercise of not avoiding worries but going with them and actively thinking of worst case scenarios; because quite often most things we fear are not as bad as we imagine them to be.
I’ve heard a lot about cognitive therapy. I tried something that was along those lines-ish, and I feel worse. When hell’s what I’m scared of, it’s kind of hard to do that.

I truly do appreciate the care and advice. It’s likely that this is anxiety, but the uncertainty is really hard.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I’ve heard a lot about cognitive therapy. I tried something that was along those lines-ish, and I feel worse. When hell’s what I’m scared of, it’s kind of hard to do that.

I truly do appreciate the care and advice. It’s likely that this is anxiety, but the uncertainty is really hard.

I've watched a video on anxiety a year or two ago. Their are two main areas that it comes from. The outside cerebellum wrinkly side of your brain. The part of your brain that does various kinds of reasoning and responds well with cognitive therapy.

But unfortunately, some people have problems with an area that is just above the brain stem which is directly governs your emotions. And that area only responds to a few things especially drug therapy.....

So maybe prayer might be one of your few alternatives you got depending on what is going on inside your noggin.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
When hell’s what I’m scared of, it’s kind of hard to do that.
think I may have OCD/Scrupulosity, but I haven’t been diagnosed

Ok got them in in reverse order !

If you are a Christian you have no need to fear hell as the Bible says ' you have passed over from death to life'
And Jesus said Those whom my Father has given me ( Christians ) I hold in my hand and NoOne can snatch them out of my hand.

Put your trust in Jesus.

Re OCD etc, please go and see a doctor, trying to self treat, you risk making things worse.

Would you self medicate if you had measles,.why try to self treat for what may not be a mental health illness or be the wrong treatment for a mental health illness.

Please see a doctor.

Upvote 0

SirHash

Jan 28, 2019
Pearland
✟24,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hey bro, sounds like you've got the right perspective on this. I see that there seems to be a sprinkle of "fear of hell" which suggests maybe you're doubting your salvation at least a little--which, as you are on to, may be your anxiety, ocd, etc.
A few years ago now, I did a study on this by JD Greear based of the book he wrote, Stop Asking Jesus into Your Heart: How to Know You are Saved. It really helped me. Might be worth a look for yourself. It can help with the theological/conceptual side of your fear.

Upvote 0

Duke of Stratford

One day at a time.
Jun 2, 2019
America
✟33,483.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hey bro, sounds like you've got the right perspective on this. I see that there seems to be a sprinkle of "fear of hell" which suggests maybe you're doubting your salvation at least a little--which, as you are on to, may be your anxiety, ocd, etc.
A few years ago now, I did a study on this by JD Greear based of the book he wrote, Stop Asking Jesus into Your Heart: How to Know You are Saved. It really helped me. Might be worth a look for yourself. It can help with the theological/conceptual side of your fear.
I’ve heard of it before—I may just check it out! It’s hard to find that balance: checking yourself to make sure you’re in the faith while not falling into legalistic behavior. I’ve heard and seen some very good things from Grear, including on this topic. Thanks for the recommendation!

Upvote 0

Paul4JC

the Sun of Righteousness will rise with healing
Apr 5, 2020
California
✟163,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We'll continue to pray you find the solution with God's help. In Jesus name, Amen.

Hebrews 7:
24 but because Jesus lives forever, he has a permanent priesthood. 25 Therefore he is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums