Anxiety and Depression- A Spiritual Rx (Br. Mark)

Mark Dohle

Mar 11, 2019
Atlanta
Visit site
✟44,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
View attachment 301415

Anxiety and Depression- A Spiritual Rx
(Br. Mark)

-----Below are some notes for the retreat giving this weekend. It was a good group and they were easy to interact with. I was nervous before giving this retreat, it was the first time for me dealing with this subject, so I hope that I did not say anything that caused anyone discomfort that attended. I make some notes, but do not usually read them, so there are times when I may say something that is actually way off base. One participant this weekend brought one such incident to my attention, and I am very thankful for his intervention......

++++++t

Notes for retreat;

Description: Jesus says, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.” Some things we just cannot do ourselves that is why we have to trust in Jesus and allow Him to show us the way! Come join us as we take a deep breath, get quiet, let go of everything, and together put our trust in Him — so we can find that peace that comes from Him alone. We will learn to make our prayers became less about our situation and more about trusting Jesus

++++++++++

When in pain, of any kind, we become hyper self-aware and the world and those in it, recede. There is a lot of pain in the world; physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual. Many believe that mental suffering which could also be classified as spiritual, is worse than physical. Interior suffering can’t normally be escaped from. If we try to escape or to medicate ourselves, it will more often than not make matters worse, or at the least more complicated. Besides, many of the strategies that are used, be it therapy, or medicine will often have results that are less than hoped for.

It is important during times of deep suffering that we do not seek some sort of quick fix. The frantic attempts to ‘get better, can lead to even more suffering. Our escapes can cause deeper misery. For instance, addiction does not help in any way in the long run, and often not even in the short run.

Depression and anxiety are interior issues, spiritual ones and they can only be truly addressed by ‘spiritual’ means. Part of that is to become more mindful of one’s faith, of the reality of God, and the often hard work to face one’s pain with a deep trust in God’s presence and love in our ivies. For many, this can be very difficult since it takes a lot of courage to actually face the situation one is in and to look beyond the inner landscape of suffering.

When Jesus made this statement:

“Come to me, all you who are
weary and burdened, and I will give you rest”

He meant what he said. The only way to experience His rest is to enter into the desert and be ready to allow Jesus to show how true to His word He actually is. We can easily make ‘God’ into some sort of abstract concept with no real substance. On the Christian path, it is the Incarnation (God tabernacles with us) that gives a gut-experiencing taste of God’s intimacy with us. God’s so-called absence, is really a very deep presence. God is one with us, we just have to wake up to that reality.

Anxiety and depression, each has their own challenges. These hurdles are unique to each person, though there are always basic struggles that are universal. When this is kept in mind, we can be saved from feeling totally isolated from others. Anxiety and depression are very common, which does not in any way lessen their impact on not only those who suffer in this manner, but also on loved ones, friends, and work as well.

What do I mean by embracing the situation? It is not giving up or becoming passive, but in living out one's faith at its deepest level. It will also deepen our spirituality, as well as make it simpler and more childlike. To become childlike in one’s faith is not as easy as it may sound. What comes naturally to small children at their best, takes a great deal of healing and purification for adults.

The concept of being powerless is often misunderstood, which is understandable. Power means to control, to be in charge, to be on top of things. So the lack of power is looked upon as being powerless. However, there is another way for the concept to actually be empowering. We are called to be more conscious of the need for grace in our lives. Not only from God which comes from developing a deep, loving, trusting relationship, but also with our need of others, and the humility to seek out help.

Jesus commands us to love ourselves, to love others, and of course above all to Love God. When we understand our dignity, our worth, our gifts, etc., it is then that we can allow our fragile egos to be challenged and to grow. It not always about ‘understanding’, but simply living through the day,, and to be mindful of our faith and what it offers us. It is by choice that we allow healing to happen, not by seeking total control over what we are struggling with. We need to loosen up, to let go, and the patience to be willing to work through the process that we are called to live out, and yes endure..-Br.MD

Reactions: Michie

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If we can only be one with the Father in the love of Christ, nothing else matters. But of course, to our egos so many other things do matter. And so that real work of dying to self begins.

But worries and anxieties are often derive from the mind and the things we let ourselves dwell on. If we are one with the Father, all else will take care of itself in His will. But it takes constant reminder. What d I believe? Do I really believe it? Then dwell there.

Relax. Let go of attachment to things, to expectations, to threats to them, to anxiety, to fear, to depression. Relax in the present moment where God dwells with us.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
God’s so-called absence, is really a very deep presence.
God is quiet, not silent.

So, we can experience sharing with God, if we are quiet with Him in His love >

"rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God." (1 Peter 3:4)

But there are various anti-love, anti-peace things which can attack me in my mind and my imagination, including anger, self-righteous criticizing of others, immoral imaginations, unforgiveness, and cursing others with my suspicion instead of blessing others in caring prayer with hope for any and all people.

So, while I am not in gentle and quiet and humble all-loving love, I am in my own ego's weakness so different sorts of chaos and cruel feelings can mess with me.

But what seems to work for me is I can be quiet and trust God to fight the battle to get that stuff away, and get me into His pleasant rest where He has me sensitively sharing with Him and submitting to how He has me praying for any and all people, and I discover what He has me doing . . . while . . . if . . . I stay submissive to Him in His peace >

"'The LORD will fight for you, and you shall hold your peace.'" (Exodus 14:14)

"And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful." (Colossians 3:15)

"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:6-7)

God is almighty, right? So, I think it is theo-logical that this peace is almighty to easily guard our hearts and minds.

And we are commanded to not be anxious about anything, and to pray "with thanksgiving", and with this we are guaranteed how God's own peace will guard our "hearts" and our "minds". So, it is God's will not only to heal our "minds" so we can live the way we want, but He desires to live in our minds in His own peace and guard our "minds".

I notice, now, how it says not only our "minds", but our "hearts" will be kept in God's peace. God desires to have our hearts wanting the right things and having the right interests. If we in our hearts are loving idols, then what happens to our idols can be what decides what happens to our minds. Or, what we fear might happen to our idols can be what messes with our minds, even if it never does happen to our idols :doh:

So, this is spiritual, indeed > God's peace is spiritual, working in our spiritual minds while also ruling in our hearts; this is what I have learned, and I keep testing this by trusting God to do this in us.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Mark Dohle
Upvote 0