• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Anxiety about Paranormal

hope0915

Nov 1, 2019
washington DC
✟361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Hello everyone, I am so glad to have found this forum.

This is going to be a long post, please bear with me and hear me out. It takes me a lot of courage to be completely honest and write it all down. I’ve never done this before.

I have been having pretty bad anxiety ever since I can remember. Even as a kid. Usually only when I‘m alone in the late afternoon and at night time.

I do remember (now after years of reflecting) how it all started and I just wanna give you a quick insight.

Growing up I wasn’t allowed to watch much TV so whenever I was at someone else’s place (family members, friends) I took my chance and watched all the TV. This led to me unknowingly watching stuff, kids shouldn’t.

Talk shows about people claiming their house and or themselves were haunted by evil spirits. TV shows about ghosts, spirits etc etc.

And yep, that’s how it all started. Ever since I‘ve developed an extreme fear/panic/phobia of the paranormal.

For a while (late teenager years, after I was in therapy for general anxiety) i was mostly fine. I could even watch scary movies and be totally ok.

Until I met my now husband (he’s american, i‘m from europe).

I got in contact with all those haunted TV shows on US television and let me tell you I‘m a mess.

We got married and I moved to the US. My husband is in the military and gone a lot and my anxiety has just gotten worse over the years. I am 30 years old now and we have a 2 y/o daughter. I‘m terrified to move (we have to move next year) because i‘m scared to move into a house that’s haunted. I‘m terrified to give these crazy bad anxieties to my child. I‘m afraid of putting her in her own room and her being scared of something at night (bc toddlers and their imagination) and then not being able to soothe her bc i‘d be terrified myself.

My anxiety is so bad at this point, I even consider moving back to europe.

I’ve never had any „paranormal experiences“. Just very very very bad anxiety about it.

We are Christians. I’ve never told anyone at church about this bc i am so so deeply embarrassed. I loved our church family. Unfortunately our church closed down a while ago and we haven’t found a new one yet. i‘m having a hard time opening up to people and can’t imagine doing so soon.

I don’t know what to do. My fears about ghosts, evil spirits are so bad i can’t handle it anymore.

Thank you for reading all this!

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello everyone, I am so glad to have found this forum.

This is going to be a long post, please bear with me and hear me out. It takes me a lot of courage to be completely honest and write it all down. I’ve never done this before.

I have been having pretty bad anxiety ever since I can remember. Even as a kid. Usually only when I‘m alone in the late afternoon and at night time.

I do remember (now after years of reflecting) how it all started and I just wanna give you a quick insight.

Growing up I wasn’t allowed to watch much TV so whenever I was at someone else’s place (family members, friends) I took my chance and watched all the TV. This led to me unknowingly watching stuff, kids shouldn’t.

Talk shows about people claiming their house and or themselves were haunted by evil spirits. TV shows about ghosts, spirits etc etc.

And yep, that’s how it all started. Ever since I‘ve developed an extreme fear/panic/phobia of the paranormal.

For a while (late teenager years, after I was in therapy for general anxiety) i was mostly fine. I could even watch scary movies and be totally ok.

Until I met my now husband (he’s american, i‘m from europe).

I got in contact with all those haunted TV shows on US television and let me tell you I‘m a mess.

We got married and I moved to the US. My husband is in the military and gone a lot and my anxiety has just gotten worse over the years. I am 30 years old now and we have a 2 y/o daughter. I‘m terrified to move (we have to move next year) because i‘m scared to move into a house that’s haunted. I‘m terrified to give these crazy bad anxieties to my child. I‘m afraid of putting her in her own room and her being scared of something at night (bc toddlers and their imagination) and then not being able to soothe her bc i‘d be terrified myself.

My anxiety is so bad at this point, I even consider moving back to europe.

I’ve never had any „paranormal experiences“. Just very very very bad anxiety about it.

We are Christians. I’ve never told anyone at church about this bc i am so so deeply embarrassed. I loved our church family. Unfortunately our church closed down a while ago and we haven’t found a new one yet. i‘m having a hard time opening up to people and can’t imagine doing so soon.

I don’t know what to do. My fears about ghosts, evil spirits are so bad i can’t handle it anymore.

Thank you for reading all this!
Anxiety is itself something to be faced and probably more damaging than the paranormal things.

Are you aware of the authority that Jesus has over this sort of thing? Anything paranormal has got nothing on Him and His ferocity against things that would hurt His friends.

My kids have had similar fears over the years and I have encouraged them to take refuge in Him and to rest in His protection, trusting Him to take care of any issues like this.

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

iamchance

Oct 22, 2019
Dallas
✟8,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Anxiety seems like the symptom, Fear seems to be the root.
Equip yourself with scripture and memorize some about Fear.

Isaiah 43:1
Psalm 18:2

I'm not licensed professional, but I have also dealt with Anxiety in the past, and it doesn't trouble me like it once did. A few thoughts that really helped me get on the right track was that Anxiety (Fear) stems in the unknown. Fear of what will happen if I do this. Fear of what will happen if I go here. Fear of what will happen if I say this. So on and so forth. I'm not sure if this resonates with you, but if it does, I would recommend you start being OPEN to new things ahead of you. Not sure moving would truly be the remedy, Anxiety is an inside job. Again, this is just thoughts from my own experiences, I'm no licensed professional.

Also, thank you for sharing this with us. Keep making bold choices like this, people here will advise and help out to the best of our abilities. James 5:16

Quick snippet about Fear from a movie called After Earth.

God Bless You.

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟775,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I have similar fears about it with the same severity. I live with my elderly parents right now. I take care of them. When they die I'll be in this house by myself. I'm nothing short of terrified. I don't know how I'll sleep at night. Door open or closed? Lights on or off? Unlike you, I had a weird incident once and ever since, I developed a phobia that never went away. My dad is suggesting I get married one day to feel safer living in a home but who's to say that man will be safe to live with. I don't know what to do either. Heck I'm not half as afraid of burglars as I am of spirits. :(

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟314,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
First thing is the fear, anxiety comes out of it. But fear is not of God, 2 Timothy 1:7 gives us a glimpse that God did not give us a spirit of fear. And secondly he did give us power and love and a sound mind. If you are born again, you have authority over all evil spirits in Christ Jesus' name. I've done it in my own house and my life.

We can take 2 Timothy 1:7 and tie that to 1 John 4:18 where it says that there is no fear in Christ Jesus ( we who are in Him) but perfect love casts out fear.

So when you fear, draw nearer to God through the person of Jesus Christ. He is the one who brings the kind of peace that surpasses understanding and guards your heart, in Phillipians 4:7.

That's a start ! Anxiety and fear are terrible but you can conquer it.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟296,877.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
i‘m scared to move into a house that’s

If the house seem very nice but unusually cheap, it's probably haunted!

If you watched every horror movie out there, it's the same thing.....Couple finds this very nice house that is selling cheaply, it's a steal!

Sorry, I can't be of any help but in prayers.

Be strong and courageous, replace the lights with LED so you can turn them all on at night without hurting your bills. Have a nice music playing all night...avoid The Carpenters and get used to it! They can't hurt you if you're not afraid!

I used to be afraid too but after many years. I'm almost forty now. It gets old and gone numb to it.

Upvote 0

Scann

Oct 10, 2019
south east asia
✟17,164.00
Country
Thailand
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I don't know if I should tell you this. It can either frighten you more or make you braver knowing that ghosts don't exist. So here goes......ghosts don't exist! Demons do. If they manage to make you think the spirits of the dead :sleep:occupy the house then the demons/ex-angels have succeeded in making you afraid. Oh, and don't keep the lights on while sleeping . It supposedly causes cancer after a long time of exposure(can someone confirm this). I'm sure cancer is scarier than thoughts about ghosts.

Upvote 0