Antinomianism and you

This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Then the reality is the law has nothing to do with our righteousness.
You would be justified (declared righteous) by the Law (Romans 2:13; Leviticus 18:5), if you could keep the righteous requirements of the Law (Romans 2:13). The Law is holy, righteous and good but it is spiritual and I am not (Romans 7:12-14). We know that all God’s commandments are righteous (Psalms 119:172). The Law and the prophets clearly testify to the righteousness of God (Romans 3:21), so the Law at least shows us what the requirements of righteousness are, you just cannot be righteous before God by works of the Law, if that were possible then Christ died for nothing (Galatians 2:21).

Grace and peace,
Mark

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm sorry but I've completely lost track of the verse in question here, could I get a quote real quick?
“Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, That I will make a new covenant With the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah: Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers In the day that I took them by the hand To bring them out of the land of Egypt; Which my covenant they brake, Although I was an husband unto them, saith the Lord: But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, And write it in their hearts; And will be their God, And they shall be my people.” (Jeremiah 31:31–33)

• Winner
Reactions: ace of hearts
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
“Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, That I will make a new covenant With the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah: Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers In the day that I took them by the hand To bring them out of the land of Egypt; Which my covenant they brake, Although I was an husband unto them, saith the Lord: But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, And write it in their hearts; And will be their God, And they shall be my people.” (Jeremiah 31:31–33)
Thanks for that and I don't know what you guys are arguing about, but Jeremiah is describing new birth. It's perhaps the hardest part to explain about the Law, you can't keep the Law, not because there is a problem with the Law, but because you are by nature a sinner and opposed to the things of God, as Paul describes it, we 'suppress the truth in unrighteousness' (Rom. 1:18-20). That's why you, 'must be born again' (John 3:30), God either gives you a new nature or you remain a slave to sin. After watching this issue mulled over endlessly, it seems kind of obvious after a while.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for that and I don't know what you guys are arguing about, but Jeremiah is describing new birth. It's perhaps the hardest part to explain about the Law, you can't keep the Law, not because there is a problem with the Law, but because you are by nature a sinner and opposed to the things of God, as Paul describes it, we 'suppress the truth in unrighteousness' (Rom. 1:18-20). That's why you, 'must be born again' (John 3:30), God either gives you a new nature or you remain a slave to sin. After watching this issue mulled over endlessly, it seems kind of obvious after a while.

Grace and peace,
Mark
The Ten Commandments = the Old Covenant replaced by the New.

• Agree
Reactions: ace of hearts
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The Ten Commandments = the Old Covenant replaced by the New.
What I've noticed is that every commandment is represented in the New Testament witness to some extent. Obviously God still doesn't want us to have or make idols, or taking his name in vain. The six that relate to how we interact with one another is summed up in the New Testament was loving your neighbor as yourself. You'll get no argument from me that we are not under the Law, but that is because the new birth establishes the righteousness, testified to in the Law and the prophets, by faith.

Upvote 0