Anticipating Sabbath when it doesn't feel physically necessary?

What makes the Sabbath *most* meaningful, anticipated and special for you?

• gathering with the Body

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • rest/renewal/downtime

• availability for doing Kingdom work

• time to focus one-on-one with the Lord

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • liturgy, your own or traditional rituals, connection to Body as passed down

• Total voters

mreeed

shalom...
Oct 2, 2014
✟76,579.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Anyone messianic for awhile that has fallen out of the right observance of Sabbath? With my job right now, I have somewhat of a condensed work week, caregiving for an antisocial Alzheimer’s patient at her home, so not demanding in the way of some other jobs I’ve had. In past, the sabbath was a delight and welcome break, much different from the rest of the week, but I really had to ‘work’ hard at carving out that time, and having faith that working Sunday on my own time would be enough to be ready for the week on Monday. Whereas now though I actively look for work to be done, I have a fair amount of downtime during my shifts. By Thursday morning, my work week is done, so Thursday/Friday are my days to do errands and work around the house. It kind of feels like my week starts again, then gets shut down right away for the Sabbath. I’m having trouble getting into the frame of mind to focus on God and put away my distractions (computer).

Maybe I am not diligent enough to use my time to work during the six days? Projects to bring to my job to do? One thing that feels like a distraction is my needy sister who calls me every day, sometimes multiple times, often extended times. I multi-task as able, and we are comfortable with plenty of dead air, it is just something I have gotten used to in her mental health journey. With this job she can call me at work as well as home. But they say that you become the average of the 5 people you spend the most time with. It does somewhat fragment my time and make it less productive, but it is no excuse.

While I love my schedule, it seems to throw any sort of routine out the window. As a single person living alone, not that I had a lot of routine, but routine might make it easier for me to enter into Shabbat when it is harder to reign myself in. I don’t want to reduce it to routine either, but where do I start? In what ways can I anticipate Shabbat during a relaxing week so that my mindset changes? I try to dial back the wandering internet browsing, not wanting to do my own pleasure on God’s holy day, but looking for a fresh positive approach? I am lacking in consistency in having daily time with God also, despite a general orientation towards Him, I know that doesn’t help, but I guess on the sabbath it is highlighted for me. Maybe I'm stuck on some email conversations of faith also and just ending up avoiding thinking about it?

Maybe I know what to do if I think well enough on it, but my mind is rather scattered and unruly and I’m hoping a discussion can help me align my focus and discipline during the week before the sabbath comes with its pressure to do so.

• Prayers
Reactions: Broken Fence

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If the Sabbath is a part of your worship then your ' feelings ' about it are irrelevant.
Just as a driving licence is needed to be able to drive, your feeling about a licence is irrelevant.
It is either a vital part of your worship or it is irrelevant.

• Informative
Reactions: Broken Fence
Upvote 0

Broken Fence

God with us!
Site Supporter
May 1, 2020
TX to New Heaven, New Earth, New Jerusalem
✟142,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Anyone messianic for awhile that has fallen out of the right observance of Sabbath? With my job right now, I have somewhat of a condensed work week, caregiving for an antisocial Alzheimer’s patient at her home, so not demanding in the way of some other jobs I’ve had. In past, the sabbath was a delight and welcome break, much different from the rest of the week, but I really had to ‘work’ hard at carving out that time, and having faith that working Sunday on my own time would be enough to be ready for the week on Monday. Whereas now though I actively look for work to be done, I have a fair amount of downtime during my shifts. By Thursday morning, my work week is done, so Thursday/Friday are my days to do errands and work around the house. It kind of feels like my week starts again, then gets shut down right away for the Sabbath. I’m having trouble getting into the frame of mind to focus on God and put away my distractions (computer).

Maybe I am not diligent enough to use my time to work during the six days? Projects to bring to my job to do? One thing that feels like a distraction is my needy sister who calls me every day, sometimes multiple times, often extended times. I multi-task as able, and we are comfortable with plenty of dead air, it is just something I have gotten used to in her mental health journey. With this job she can call me at work as well as home. But they say that you become the average of the 5 people you spend the most time with. It does somewhat fragment my time and make it less productive, but it is no excuse.

While I love my schedule, it seems to throw any sort of routine out the window. As a single person living alone, not that I had a lot of routine, but routine might make it easier for me to enter into Shabbat when it is harder to reign myself in. I don’t want to reduce it to routine either, but where do I start? In what ways can I anticipate Shabbat during a relaxing week so that my mindset changes? I try to dial back the wandering internet browsing, not wanting to do my own pleasure on God’s holy day, but looking for a fresh positive approach? I am lacking in consistency in having daily time with God also, despite a general orientation towards Him, I know that doesn’t help, but I guess on the sabbath it is highlighted for me. Maybe I'm stuck on some email conversations of faith also and just ending up avoiding thinking about it?

Maybe I know what to do if I think well enough on it, but my mind is rather scattered and unruly and I’m hoping a discussion can help me align my focus and discipline during the week before the sabbath comes with its pressure to do so.
As for me and my mom, we don't live near any Sabbath keepers, besides SDA and I question some of their doctrine. So we listen to services online through a Messanic congregation. I would encourage you is good to do good on the Sabbath.

• Friendly
Reactions: mreeed
Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
Your relationship to the Lord is often reflected in your relationship to keeping the Sabbath. To me, it is a date, one to get dressed up for, anticipate the one on one, rejoice in the time together, and be refreshed with His Presence.

Now when Sabbaths become the burden, it is me who is out of sync. My world, my priorities, my my my my...rather than His. I need to repent and re-center on Him. He is my beloved.

Last edited:
Upvote 0