Texas
✟196,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The view of the Orthodox Church can best be described as "amillenialist"; that is, holding to the teaching that the thousand years mentioned in the Apocalypse refers to the current age of the Church.

Revelation chapters 1-19 cover the church age. So can you show in any of those 19 chapters which parts concern the thousand years?

Upvote 0

Brian Mcnamee

Feb 2, 2017
usa
✟221,465.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi the futurist view is certainly in play and here are some of the passages that support it. The covenant with Israel is two covenants one everlasting covenant made with Abraham that was unconditional relating to the promised land. Then the covenant with Moses which was a conditional covenant was overlaid upon the unconditional covenant and God has indeed kept both.
The video cited the law which when violated would result in Israel being destroyed and scattered into the nations. The idea that the church is now Israel in the covenant is in error. I do not dispute that spiritual Israel is a real thing I maintain that the scriptures themselves point to both entities and makes distinctions between Jews and Gentiles throughout. Here in the law when the curse comes upon Israel is the assurance that the covenant with Abraham still stands.
You shall perish among the nations, and the land of your enemies shall eat you up.
39 And those of you who are left shall waste away in their iniquity in your enemies’ lands;
also in their fathers’ iniquities, which are with them, they shall waste away.
40 ‘But if they confess their iniquity and the iniquity of their fathers, with their unfaithfulness in which they were unfaithful to Me, and that they also have walked contrary to Me,
41 and that I also have walked contrary to them and have brought them into the land of their enemies;
if their uncircumcised hearts are humbled, and they accept their guilt—
42 then I will remember My covenant with Jacob, and My covenant with Isaac and My covenant with Abraham I will remember;
I will remember the land.
43 The land also shall be left empty by them, and will enjoy its sabbaths while it lies desolate without them;
they will accept their guilt, because they despised My judgments and because their soul abhorred My statutes.
44 Yet for all that, when they are in the land of their enemies, I will not cast them away, nor shall I abhor them, to utterly destroy them and break My covenant with them;
for I am the LORD their God.
45 But for their sake I will remember the covenant of their ancestors, whom I brought out of the land of Egypt in the sight of the nations, that I might be their God:
I am the LORD.’ ”

When the new covenant was introduced which certainly we can agree salvation is only in the new covenant the Holy Spirit found it a great place to put in the following verses immediately after promising the new covenant. He double assures that Israel will not cease to be a nation in God's eyes and that he will not cast them off for all they have done. Now the LORD knew of the rejection of Jesus and the destruction of Jerusalem to immediately follow. So this placement is intentional and note it extends to a day when the city ( Jerusalem) shall be built and declared holy and it will not be thrown down ever again and it comes at a time when dead bodies are everywhere. This shows the transition from the tribulation into the millennium as the new Jerusalem is not to be built it just comes down. I will compare this to the 2nd coming in Zech 14.
But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the LORD: I will put My law in their minds, and write it on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. 34 No more shall every man teach his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, ‘Know the LORD,’ for they all shall know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them, says the LORD. For I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more.”
35 Thus says the LORD,
Who gives the sun for a light by day,
The ordinances of the moon and the stars for a light by night,
Who disturbs the sea,
And its waves roar
(The LORD of hosts is His name):
36 “If those ordinances depart
From before Me, says the LORD,
Then the seed of Israel shall also cease
From being a nation before Me forever.”
37 Thus says the LORD:
“If heaven above can be measured,
And the foundations of the earth searched out beneath,
I will also cast off all the seed of Israel
For all that they have done, says the LORD.
38 “Behold, the days are coming, says the LORD, that the city shall be built for the LORD from the Tower of Hananel to the Corner Gate. 39 The surveyor’s line shall again extend straight forward over the hill Gareb; then it shall turn toward Goath. 40 And the whole valley of the dead bodies and of the ashes, and all the fields as far as the Brook Kidron, to the corner of the Horse Gate toward the east, shall be holy to the LORD. It shall not be plucked up or thrown down anymore forever.”

In Zech 14 we see the LORD comes when Jerusalem is being overrun. The LORD fights that day and it is noted that this is the day the LORD is king over all the earth. Life is seen continuing after the LORD is king. The nation which are left must come and keep the feast of tabernacles or they get no rain. Even Egypt is singled out for this so we can be sure at some point in the millennium Egypt will be in a drought and this passage will be pointed out. The LORD is king on a day Israel is saved and the Mt of Olives splits in two forming a new river that flows year round (again life continues after the LORD comes) and new valleys with specific boundaries are formed. It happens on a day when it is dark in the day and light at night. This is consistent with Jer 31. Lastly lets look at Luke 1 and see what is Jesus mission described by Gabriel the angel and Zacharias.
Luke 1 Then the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God. 31 And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bring forth a Son, and shall call His name JESUS. 32 He will be great, and will be called the Son of the Highest; and the Lord God will give Him the throne of His father David. 33 And He will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and of His kingdom there will be no end.”

67 Now his father Zacharias was filled with the Holy Spirit, and prophesied, saying:
68 “Blessed is the Lord God of Israel,
For He has visited and redeemed His people,
69 And has raised up a horn of salvation for us
In the house of His servant David,
70 As He spoke by the mouth of His holy prophets,
Who have been since the world began,
71 That we should be saved from our enemies
And from the hand of all who hate us,
72 To perform the mercy promised to our fathers
And to remember His holy covenant,
73 The oath which He swore to our father Abraham:
74 To grant us that we,
Being delivered from the hand of our enemies,
Might serve Him without fear,
75 In holiness and righteousness before Him all the days of our life.

Now the throne of David is not a heavenly throne and look at the promised deliverance to Israel from their enemies that refers to the covenant back with Abraham it promises deliverance from their enemies and from that deliverance they will worship and serve the LORD in holiness and righteousness from that point on. We see in Jer 31 and Zech 14 that very deliverance and in Zech 14 it is glorious to see in that day (the day the LORD comes) they will say the LORD is one. It is Jesus like Joseph being revealed to his brother and they are confessing Jesus is LORD. This is what Hosea said in the place where it was said you are not my people you shall be called sons of the living God.

Isiah
For unto us a Child is born,
Unto us a Son is given;
And the government will be upon His shoulder.
And His name will be called
Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
7 Of the increase of His government and peace
There will be no end,
Upon the throne of David and over His kingdom,
To order it and establish it with judgment and justice
From that time forward, even forever.
The zeal of the Lord of hosts will perform this.

Do we see judgment and justice established now? No

Psalm 72 speaks of the days of this king and notes He reigns from the rive to the sea and this cannot be new Jerusalem as there will be no more sea. The righteousness that comes when the LORD is king will be amazing and nothing like the last 2000 years of history.

He shall have dominion also from sea to sea,
And from the River to the ends of the earth.
9 Those who dwell in the wilderness will bow before Him,
And His enemies will lick the dust.
10 The kings of Tarshish and of the isles
Will bring presents;
The kings of Sheba and Seba
Will offer gifts.
11 Yes, all kings shall fall down before Him;
All nations shall serve Him.
12 For He will deliver the needy when he cries,
The poor also, and him who has no helper.
13 He will spare the poor and needy,
And will save the souls of the needy.
14 He will redeem their life from oppression and violence;
And precious shall be their blood in His sight.

Upvote 0

DavidPT

Sep 26, 2016
Texas
✟196,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In Zech 14 we see the LORD comes when Jerusalem is being overrun. The LORD fights that day and it is noted that this is the day the LORD is king over all the earth. Life is seen continuing after the LORD is king. The nation which are left must come and keep the feast of tabernacles or they get no rain. Even Egypt is singled out for this so we can be sure at some point in the millennium Egypt will be in a drought and this passage will be pointed out. The LORD is king on a day Israel is saved and the Mt of Olives splits in two forming a new river that flows year round (again life continues after the LORD comes) and new valleys with specific boundaries are formed. It happens on a day when it is dark in the day and light at night. This is consistent with Jer 31. Lastly lets look at Luke 1 and see what is Jesus mission described by Gabriel the angel and Zacharias.

Since you brought up Egypt here, the following is an argument I recall Amils making in the past.

Joel 3:18 And it shall come to pass in that day, that the mountains shall drop down new wine, and the hills shall flow with milk, and all the rivers of Judah shall flow with waters, and a fountain shall come forth of the house of the LORD, and shall water the valley of Shi**im.
19 Egypt shall be a desolation, and Edom shall be a desolate wilderness, for the violence against the children of Judah, because they have shed innocent blood in their land.
20 But Judah shall dwell for ever, and Jerusalem from generation to generation.
21 For I will cleanse their blood that I have not cleansed: for the LORD dwelleth in Zion.

Verse 19 indicates---Egypt shall be a desolation.

What I can somewhat recall about the Amil argument goes like this. If Joel 3:19 is meaning post the 2nd coming, and that if Zechariah 14:16-19 is also meaning post the 2nd coming, how can there even be anyone coming up from Egypt when Joel 3:19 is indicating Egypt will be a desolation?

As to me, I didn't have a good explanation nor do I as of yet. Do you perhaps have a good explanation where it solves this alleged contradiction?

Upvote 0