Anti-universalism hostility

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrewd Manager

Through him, in all things, more than conquerors.
Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2019
Melbourne
✟364,409.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In this short video, David Bentley Hart suggests that the emotionally-driven objection of many Christians to universal salvation/ restorationism is motivated by a childish view that 'For me to win, someone has to lose'. This is a sin that we all suffer from time to time. But is God's grace not higher than that?

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
In this short video, David Bentley Hart suggests that the emotionally-driven objection of many Christians to universal salvation/ restorationism is motivated by a childish view that 'For me to win, someone has to lose'. This is a sin that we all suffer from time to time. But is God's grace not higher than that?

It's a fallacious argument. My objection to universalism is that it is not a teaching of Christianity.

Upvote 0

Shrewd Manager

Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2019
Melbourne
✟364,409.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's a fallacious argument. My objection to universalism is that it is not a teaching of Christianity.

Now is that a little bit knee-jerkish?

St Gregory of Nyssa, for example, a church father and saint in both Eastern and Western traditions, was an ardent universalist.

Reactions: martymonster
Upvote 0

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

If you're wrong about UR, and I'm certain you are, there is a false hope sent to millions that no matter what they do, they will eventually make it to heaven.

Expanding the mercy and grace of God to this degree is called heresy, that is, if you are wrong, and again, I'm certain you are wrong.

Upvote 0

Shrewd Manager

Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2019
Melbourne
✟364,409.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you're wrong about UR, and I'm certain you are, there is a false hope sent to millions that no matter what they do, they will eventually make it to heaven.

Expanding the mercy and grace of God to this degree is called heresy, that is, if you are wrong, and again, I'm certain you are wrong.

Charlie, just the man DBH was thinking of! Welcome in my man. But what if restricting the mercy and grace of God to anything less than the perfect and absolute is a sin, Charlie?

The gospel of good news for all doesn't suddenly turn into terrible news for many. Jesus didn't die in vain.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Now is that a little bit knee-jerkish?

St Gregory of Nyssa, for example, a church father and saint in both Eastern and Western traditions, was an ardent universalist.

Origen also advocated universalism. But universalism was rejected by Christianity long ago.

Upvote 0

Shrewd Manager

Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2019
Melbourne
✟364,409.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Origen also advocated universalism. But universalism was rejected by Christianity long ago.

If you're referring to the 5th Ecumenical Council, I think you'll find on close inspection that the condemnations against universalism were never confirmed by the Pope and many other bishops, and the devil's uxorious minion Justinian was the political force behind trying to make the condemnations stick. So may I caution you against blithely accepting the monstrous fable that UR was ever held to be heretical.

Upvote 0

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Charlie, just the man DBH was thinking of! Welcome in my man. But what if restricting the mercy and grace of God to anything less than the perfect and absolute is a sin, Charlie?

The gospel of good news for all doesn't suddenly turn into terrible news for many. Jesus didn't die in vain.

Preach this heresy at your own peril my friend.

Charlie will have no part of it!

Upvote 0

Shrewd Manager

Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2019
Melbourne
✟364,409.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Preach this heresy at your own peril my friend.

Charlie will have no part of it!

Charlie needs to find faith in God's great promises to restore all creation. For as all things proceed from Him, so too shall all return unto Him.

Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
The Kingdom of His dear Son
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom

Dear HT: Perhaps you have missed the restitution of all things spoken from the earliest ages by the prophets of the Lord?

“It is in Him, and through the shedding of His blood, that we have our deliverance–the forgiveness of our offences–so abundant was God’s grace, the grace which He, the possessor of all wisdom and understanding, lavished upon us, when He made known to us the mystery of His will. And this is in harmony with God’s merciful purpose for the government of the world when the times are ripe for it-- the purpose which He has cherished in His own mind of restoring the whole creation to find its one Head in Christ; yes, things in Heaven and things on earth, to find their one Head in Him. And you…”

ragamuffin-gospel-quotes.png

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
If you're referring to the 5th Ecumenical Council, I think you'll find on close inspection that the condemnations against universalism were never confirmed by the Pope and many other bishops, and the devil's uxorious minion Justinian was the political force behind trying to make the condemnations stick. So may I caution you against blithely accepting the monstrous fable that UR was ever held to be heretical.

Universalism is not taught by any of the original apostolic Churches. It is not a teaching of Christianity.

Upvote 0

Shrewd Manager

Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2019
Melbourne
✟364,409.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
when the times are ripe for it

And those times are only after a great falling-away. Look at the advent of Christ, where the burdens of false religion and imperial chains had been clamped on the people.

Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Upvote 0

Shrewd Manager

Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2019
Melbourne
✟364,409.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Universalism is not taught by any of the original apostolic Churches. It is not a teaching of Christianity.

Think you are misinformed, my friend. There are many early church fathers who were universalists. St Paul was an ardent universalist. Jesus is a universalist - he came to save the world. God is a universalist - He will be all in all.

Why not consider the OP which calls for introspection.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Dear H.T.: My suggestion for you is to pay attention. Read, pray, read pray >>>repeat.

If I read and pray how likely am I to suddenly discover something all of the millions before me didn't?

Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
David Bentley Hart suggests that the emotionally-driven objection of many Christians to universal salvation/ restorationism is motivated by a childish view that 'For me to win, someone has to lose'.

Then he's wrong. Politics and religion drive emotional reaction no matter what side you're on or what aspect is being discussed. That's the nature of the beast. To accuse the other side of being childish for being emotionally attached to their religious views is an ad hominem argument, and an objectively false one at that.

Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
If I read and pray how likely am I to suddenly discover something all of the millions before me didn't?

Dear HT: I know of only one way to discover the unsearchable realms of our Heavenly Father. It comes by way of union and communion in His glorious Presence.

Reactions: martymonster
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Dear HT: I know of only one way to discover the unsearchable realms of our Heavenly Father. It comes by way of union and communion in His glorious Presence.

And by doing that I'm going to discover something no one else ever has?

What benefit am I likely to get from following your advice?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.