Anti-racism groups: Investigate anti-Irish abuse in soccer in England, Scotland

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Anti-racism groups: Investigate anti-Irish abuse in soccer in England, Scotland
There are growing calls for soccer officials in England and Scotland to tackle the issue of anti-Irish bias, after a player and manager say they suffered abuse.

The groups Show Racism the Red Card Ireland, Show Racism the Red Card UK, and the Professional Footballers Association of Ireland issued a joint statement calling on the Football Association in England and the Scottish Football Association “to have a more robust approach” to anti-Irish abuse.

MyOwnSockPuppet

Regeneration of myself after computer failure
Feb 22, 2013
Oxford, UK
✟180,729.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

MyOwnSockPuppet

Regeneration of myself after computer failure
Feb 22, 2013
Oxford, UK
✟180,729.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Racism is defined differently in the UK, it is not only based on skin color, much as race Europe was seen as a continent with multiple European races until the 20th century.

The legal expression is "any group of people who are defined by reference to their race, colour, nationality (including citizenship) or ethnic or national origin", if that helps.

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I really don't know why England is mentioned in this. Catholics and Protestants are still acting like thugs towards each other in Scotland and the Irelands, but no one really cares in England.

A lot of people in England remember Catholic terrorism and that won't be forgotten any time soon, but religiosity isn't at the point in England where sectarian violence between the two groups is a thing.

It's a juvenile self-perpetuating problem in the Irelands. If you're born in one area you'll likely dislike/hate the other and vice versa. It's pathetic and has nothing to do with religion and everything to do with labels, identity, and social/peer pressure depending on the postal region you were born in.

All in all, it's laughable and most of the people involved likely can't recite Genesis 1:1. They're about as Christian as hookers and blow.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,925.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
What does racism have to do with this?

In UK's history, the Irish at times have been thought of as another race, similar to African-Americans in the US. Ireland itself was regarded as a colonial possession and Irish were not considered social equals, despite being subjects.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,925.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
The differences between Irish and Protestants in Ireland typically go beyond religion and they go back to ethnicity and politics. Northern Irish Protestants are typically Scots-Irish, they were brought there by English kings to be loyal subjects and displace the native population.

There are some Protestants in southern Ireland that weren't necessarily brought there as transplants, in fact they have a Protestant Church of Ireland there, and it's not just a relic of colonialism but also an expression of the Reformation adopted by converts from the native Irish population. I went to an online Bible study hosted by Anglicans that had a member that is a member of the Protestant Church of Ireland. They definitely aren't like the sort of militantly anti-Catholic Presbyterians you get in Northern Ireland. They are more like Episcopalians in the US.

• Informative
Reactions: SummerMadness
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Par5

Nov 5, 2017
LONDONDERRY
✟69,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I really don't know why England is mentioned in this. Catholics and Protestants are still acting like thugs towards each other in Scotland and the Irelands, but no one really cares in England.

A lot of people in England remember Catholic terrorism and that won't be forgotten any time soon, but religiosity isn't at the point in England where sectarian violence between the two groups is a thing.

It's a juvenile self-perpetuating problem in the Irelands. If you're born in one area you'll likely dislike/hate the other and vice versa. It's pathetic and has nothing to do with religion and everything to do with labels, identity, and social/peer pressure depending on the postal region you were born in.

All in all, it's laughable and most of the people involved likely can't recite Genesis 1:1. They're about as Christian as hookers and blow.
Your rather superior attitude when discussing the people of Scotland and Ireland says a lot about you. That there is sectarianism in Scotland and Ireland cannot be denied, but it is not like it used to be and nowhere near as bad as you make out. I can speak with authority when I say that in Northern Ireland most people get on well with one another. I know that because I live there. Catholics and Protestants mix freely, inter-marry, work together and form friendships which couldn't always be said for those in even quite recent generations. Young people here are also abandoning religion in large numbers, and contrary to what you said, it was the ability to recite Genesis, or indeed any part of the bible that was part of the problem, not the inability to do so. Too many bible thumpers using that book to spout their sectarian venom.
As for violence, Ireland has had more than its fair share during "the troubles" when the paramilitary thugs were wreaking havoc, but those days are gone. And one more thing, what violence we have here now pales to insignificance when compared to the violence and murder presently being experienced in England.

Upvote 0