Anti-Christian things in Avengers: Infinity War Movie (A call to stop watching secular movies).

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
First, you must understand that I used to love Marvel comics. I grew up collecting them and my goal was to collect them all (When I was a kid). I wanted to work for Marvel comics as a comic book artist. Needless to say I loved Marvel. A few years back, when Power man the TV series came out on Netflix, I seen how dark things were getting in these shows and films. The sinful things within them were becoming more and more open for me to see as I studied and put God's Word into practice in my life by the power of God.

Second, big budget movies are made by people who are rich. In 1 Timothy 6, we are told not to seek after riches but we are told seek after righteousness instead.

Three, there is always going to be some kind of sinful thing in a big budge movie these days. Just saying it is fantasy does not erase the sinful things that they are promoting on screen. A person can say they can watch inappropriate content and say that it is okay because it is just fantasy. But this would be wrong. The sinful things in a inappropriate content movie can effect you. But big budget Hollywood movies that put subtle sinful things in them is okay and they cannot effect you?

Anyways, based on reading various articles by Christians, here are my reasons why I believe no Christian should watch or continue to watch Avengers: Infinity War the film.

1. Jesus is mocked by a character called Starlord played by an actor who claims to be Christian.
2. Thanos declares himself as God by calling himself the "I AM."
3. Doctor strange is a sorcerer. The Marvel movies try to downplay this from the comics, but he is still a sorcerer. In the OT, sorcerers were killed.
4. Scarlet witch (while a mutant) is called a witch (sorcerer).
5. The stones in the movie have some kind of magical powers. This again is sorcery or power outside of God. So it suggests that dabbling in the dark arts is okay if it is just fantasy. A person does not need God; And they can just seek out some other kind of power besides Him.

My encouragement to all Christians is to think about these things as a Christian. 1 John 2:15-17 says to love not the world and neither things in the world. The Avengers movie is a thing of the world and it is not Christian. It is ethics and values that come from the world and not Christ. Put away secula rmovie watching, and secular music, and other forms of worldly enterntainment (including books, comics etc.). Do not let this world pump you up with sinful ideas. Take a stand in following Jesus Christ. If you do, you will not regret it.

May God's love and peace be upon you all today.

Sincerely,

~ Jason.

Last edited:

Messerve

Sep 30, 2018
hjkhjkh
✟25,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Its only a film. Its just fantasy. Its not harmful or sinful. Reading the Bible has murder etc in it for goodness sake!
Well, but a character calling themselves "I AM" is a little disturbing, to be honest... As entertainment that's not okay... The Bible has stories of people who blasphemed God, but it's not meant to be entertaining.

• Useful
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,011,713.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Well, but a character calling themselves "I AM" is a little disturbing, to be honest... As entertainment that's not okay... The Bible has stories of people who blasphemed God, but it's not meant to be entertaining.

People take some things too seriously. There is only one 'I AM'.

Its just a film

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
First, you must understand that I used to love Marvel comics. I grew up collecting them and my goal was to collect them all (When I was a kid). I wanted to work for Marvel comics as a comic book artist. Needless to say I loved Marvel. A few years back, when Power man the TV series came out on Netflix, I seen how dark things were getting in these films. The sinful things within them were becoming more and more open for me to see as I studied and put God's Word into practice in my life by the power of God.

Second, big budget movies are made by people who are rich. In 1 Timothy 6, we are told not to seek after riches but we are told seek after righteousness instead.

Three, there is always going to be some kind of sinful thing in a big budge movie these days. Just saying it is fantasy does not erase the sinful things that they are promoting on screen. A person can say they can watch inappropriate content and say that it is okay because it is just fantasy. But this would be wrong. The sinful things in a inappropriate content movie can effect you. But big budget Hollywood movies that put subtle sinful things in them is okay and they cannot effect you?

Anyways, based on reading various articles by Christians, here are my reasons why I believe no Christian should watch or continue to watch Avengers: Infinity War the film.

1. Jesus is mocked by a character called Starlord played by an actor who claims to be Christian.
2. Thanos declares himself as God by calling himself the "I AM."
3. Doctor strange is a sorcerer. The Marvel movies try to downplay this from the comics, but he is still a sorcerer. In the OT, sorcerers were killed.
4. Scarlet witch (while a mutan) has the name that she is a sorcerer.
5. The stones in the movie have some kind of magical powers. This again is sorcery or power outside of God. So it suggests that dabbling in the dark arts is okay if it is just fantasy. A person does not need God; And they can just seek out some other kind of power besides Him.

My encouragement to all Christians is to think about these things as a Christian. 1 John 2:15-17 says to love not the world and neither things in the world. The Avengers movie is a thing of the world and it is not Christian. It is ethics and values that come from the world and not Christ. Put away secula rmovie watching, and secular music, and other forms of worldly enterntainment (including books, comics etc.). Do not let this world pump you up with sinful ideas. Take a stand in following Jesus Christ. If you do, you will not regret it.

Sincerely,

~ Jason.

I think you will find yourself returning to the same forms of entertainment at a later date, based on my own experiences, past and present convictions, and understanding human nature better than I did in the past. Enjoy the victories while they last and pray for those struggling, for those who have struggled for many many years, experiencing both victories and losses and maybe wondering if there is much use in trying, knowing the likelihood of being caught up in the same mess. You'll see, life happens.

Upvote 0

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

What about Daredevil? Can we watch Daredevil, or does the fact that it's Marvel trump the whole practicing Catholic aspect of the show?

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What about Daredevil? Can we watch Daredevil, or does the fact that it's Marvel trump the whole practicing Catholic aspect of the show?

Is Daredevil more of a "secret sin".

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

He dresses like a devil. Paul says do not have any appearance of evil. Actually, all secular movies promote some form of sin usually.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: ChristinaH
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think you will find yourself returning to the same forms of entertainment at a later date, based on my own experiences, past and present convictions, and understanding human nature better than I did in the past. Enjoy the victories while they last and pray for those struggling, for those who have struggled for many many years, experiencing both victories and losses and maybe wondering if there is much use in trying, knowing the likelihood of being caught up in the same mess. You'll see, life happens.

Not likely. When you are repulsed by the promotion of sinful things, you don’t want to have anything to do with it.

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Not likely. When you are repulsed by the promotion of sinful things, you don’t want to have anything to do with it.

Enjoy living with the Amish or like a monk in a monastery, otherwise you'll find when stepping into a muddy ditch to help a person, you end up getting mud on you. Enough talk though, you'll see if you are not carrying secret sins already, which you may find repulsive in the Spirit, but also have weakness for in the flesh and drawn by strong impulses. We're not virtually invincible like the 50's and 60's Superman. Make mine DC over Marvel. ;)

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Sincerely,

~ Jason.

I do believe people were just as sinful before all of the entertainment available with easy access today. It's almost embarrassing to mention but I once put away all secular entertainment, early in my walk as a baby Christian. Over a period of years I learned that the problem is not so much the entertainment but in human nature, a heart problem. I learned that putting away pleasure does not make a person not want pleasures any the lesser. In other words, practicing these outward motions cannot maintain a pure heart. Purity in heart, can only come from God the Holy Spirit, otherwise we're just going through the motions. Thank you for the good encouragement, purity should be our aim at all times, unfortunately though it is not always the case.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Enjoy living with the Amish or like a monk in a monastery,

Hebrews 12:1-2
“Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.”

1 Thessalonians 4:11
“…make it your ambition to lead a quiet life: You should mind your own business and work with your hands, just as we told you,”

Philippians 4:8
“Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.”

Matthew 10:39
"Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it."

Colossians 3:2
"Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things.“

1 Timothy 6:6-7
"But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it.”

You said:
otherwise you'll find when stepping into a muddy ditch to help a person, you end up getting mud on you. Enough talk though, you'll see if you are not carrying secret sins already, which you may find repulsive in the Spirit, but also have weakness for in the flesh and drawn by strong impulses. We're not virtually invincible like the 50's and 60's Superman.

There are different ways to overcome sin by God's Word and with the help of Jesus.

1. Remove yourself from sinful environments (if possible) and or get rid of things that cause you to sin. In Genesis: Joseph had literally ran away from the temptation of sexual sin and it worked (Genesis 39:12). Paul says we are flee fornication (1 Corinthians 6:18).

2. Pray to God so as not to be tempted. It is part of the Lord’s prayer for you to pray so as not to be tempted into sin (Matthew 6:13). Jesus repeats this to his disciples that they are to pray so as not to be tempted into sin (See Matthew 26:41). God will guide and protect you if you are serious in praying for this. In fact, fasting will help you with this, as well. For a certain demon was only able to come out by both prayer and fasting (Matthew 17:21).

3. Obey God’s righteous ways. The more you love God and love others and obey His Word and stay in His Word and pray, the more you will not even have a chance to sin or do the wrong thing. For the more you walk in God's Word by the Spirit you will not fulfill the lusts of flesh (See Galatians 5:16). Paul says, "But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof." (Romans 13:14).

4. When you are tempted, repeatedly quote Scripture. When Jesus was tempted by the devil, He repeatedly quoted Scripture to defeat the devil (See Matthew 4:4, Matthew 4:6, Matthew 4:7, and Matthew 4;10). So when some specific sin is bothering you, find all the verses you can that are victory verses over that particular sin. A good general verse is, “The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.” (Psalms 23:1). You can say these verses to yourself silently under your breath (with nobody hearing).

5. Ask for prayer from other God fearing Christians or Godly Christians to help you to overcome certain sins. The Scriptures say, bear ye one another's burdens and thus fulfill the Law of Christ. So seek true fellowship and ask for their help. James says, "Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him. Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much." (James 5:14-16). "If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death..." (1 John 5:16).

6. Hide God’s Word in your heart. Memorize Scripture. David said he hid God’s Word within his heart so that he may not sin against the Lord (See Psalms 119:11).

7. Confess of your sins. 1 John 1:9 says if we confess our sins he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

You said:
Make mine DC over Marvel.

"...where your treasure is, there will your heart be also."
(Matthew 6:21).

Reactions: Messerve
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I do believe people were just as sinful before all of the entertainment available with easy access today. It's almost embarrassing to mention but I once put away all secular entertainment, early in my walk as a baby Christian. Over a period of years I learned that the problem is not so much the entertainment but in human nature, a heart problem. I learned that putting away pleasure does not make a person not want pleasures any the lesser. In other words, practicing these outward motions cannot maintain a pure heart. Purity in heart, can only come from God the Holy Spirit, otherwise we're just going through the motions. Thank you for the good encouragement, purity should be our aim at all times, unfortunately though it is not always the case.

It is my encouragement to all Christians that they do not end their life with a possible 2 Peter 2:22 type scenario for themselves.

"For God hath not called us unto uncleanness, but unto holiness." (1 Thessalonians 4:7).

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Enjoy living with the Amish or like a monk in a monastery, otherwise you'll find when stepping into a muddy ditch to help a person, you end up getting mud on you. Enough talk though, you'll see if you are not carrying secret sins already, which you may find repulsive in the Spirit, but also have weakness for in the flesh and drawn by strong impulses. We're not virtually invincible like the 50's and 60's Superman. Make mine DC over Marvel. ;)

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Its only a film. Its just fantasy. Its not harmful or sinful. Reading the Bible has murder etc in it for goodness sake!

God's Story (the Bible) as a whole does not promote sin like secular movies do. The Bible may at time records sin, but it also condemns it at another part of it's chapter. All Scripture is profitable for doctrine, and instruction in righteousness so that the man of God may be perfect. It does not place sinful things it alone and then remains silent like a secular movie does. The Bible actually tells us how to get our hearts right with God by seeking forgiveness with Jesus Christ and then walking uprightly in them. Secular movies do not do that.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
People take some things too seriously. There is only one 'I AM'.

Its just a film

The fantasy card does not really work. Just because you say it is fantasy does not mean that the sinful things within the film being pushed upon you are not real. Do you not think that the sinful things within movies today can effect a person's spiritual life or walk with God? What about inappropriate content? Should we just write that off as fantasy, too? Is it okay to watch inappropriate content for a Christian? Have you never turned off a movie before because it had something in it that repulsed you in regards to a particular sin?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0