Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
[Perhaps Anti-Catholic is too strong a term, but it was a lot shorter than saying, People who seriously disagree with the Catholic Church on Biblical grounds. But I digress.^_^]

Update: As many people have made fair arguments about my challenge, I have thought this through a little more, on how to make this more reasonable (though to be fair, I do have a user who took me up on this, and at least 1 friend who's doing this in real life). The principle reason for why I choose Catholicism isn't just because I think Dave Armstrong's arguments prove the Church as the most Biblical; I see a lot of very Biblical arguments for a lot of contrary views. I see the Church as an authoritative institution. The Bible is complicated; God knows that. He wouldn't leave us on our own, to figure out a notoriously difficult book by ourselves; it makes sense that He would institute some sort of living authority to teach us (with the infallible guidance of the Spirit) the essential moral & theological information about the faith. I intend to make a post about this in more detail in the near future; for now, I would direct anyone with the book (mentioned below) to Appendix 2: The Visible, Hierarchical, Apostolic Church. Thank you for your recommendations on how to refine my challenge, and may God lead us all to the true Church, wherever that may be!)

Update to the Update: Here it is! Please pray for good things to come as a result!:pray: Why I Choose Catholic Christianity

A very common argument against Catholicism is the idea that the Catholic Church is unbiblical. A valid concern; however, I truly believe that this idea is a misconception. I've spent quite a bit of time arguing theology here & in real life with my Protestant brothers & sisters, and my Protestant brothers and sisters have spent quite a bit of time arguing theology with me. To date, nobody has changed their mind either way.

This is often due to an understandable lack of thoroughness; the Bible is a very detailed, sometimes complicated, and remarkably long book. A proper understanding of all its implications would take extensive time & effort that many of us just don't have.

So I will direct you to a book written by someone who has put in all that time & effort...an evangelical Protestant, who did a year-long in-depth Bible study to disprove Catholicism.

Long story short...he converted.

The author is Dave Armstrong, and the book is titled A Biblical Defense of Catholicism. It's around 350 of very meticulous Biblical analysis, written to explain how the Catholic Church is the most Biblical Christian Church, and even the only truly Biblical Church.

It's detailed enough that it can be hard to read, especially when Armstrong discusses the original languages used in the Bible. But if you really want to convince me against my Catholic Christian faith, this is my challenge: Read the book (all of it), take careful notes if that's how you do things, find out how the concert got it all wrong, and let me know. Give me a thorough enough explanation for how the Catholic Church isn't Biblically & historically valid, and I promise I will convert. You have to read the book first; I can't defend my faith & explain Scripture as well as Armstrong can, so I direct my apologetics to him (sometimes it's good to let someone more educated do the explaining).

You can find it pretty cheap online (remember to use Amazon Smile if that's your avenue; that gives money to a charity of your choice, with no extra fee to you). And if you don't want to, I understand, it's a lot of reading. But if disproving Catholicism is really what you want to do in this life, then a Catholic Theology major just told you what you need to do to convince him.

c5e7dda6e554033c56e4d327bf002af3.jpg

May God continue to bless us all!

Last edited:

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Pray in silence...God speaks softly
Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
The Mystical Lands of Rural Indiana
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Well Alex the only comment I will address is your meme needs some work. :)
First of all, I think & hope you understand that the meme was not the main point of the post. :)

But secondly, do you have a correction you'd like to make?

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
First of all, I think & hope you understand that the meme was not the main point of the post. :)

But secondly, do you have a correction you'd like to make?
Yes the “I don’t need a church and the ‘me and my Bible’ would not apply to Reformed churches.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
The meme also doesn't apply to Methodists or other Wesleyan denominations either.

If you're happy with being a Catholic, then be a Catholic. We are all part of Christ's body and there is no reason we must all function exactly the same.

Upvote 0

Brian Mcnamee

Feb 2, 2017
usa
✟213,965.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi many people have made conversions from and into other faiths and that is not a good argument in and of itself. I left the Catholic church when I began to study the scriptures for myself. You have the pope embracing all the other faiths of the world and yet the list of things that will get you anathema is quite long and telling as is the Jesuit oath. Here is a link to the Jesuit oath and tell me again how this is part of the one true church.

Jesuit Extreme Oath of Induction

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,167,232.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The author is Dave Armstrong, and the book is titled A Biblical Defense of Catholicism. It's around 350 of very meticulous Biblical analysis, written to explain how the Catholic Church is the most Biblical Christian Church, and even the only truly Biblical Church.
How much time did he put into investigating Eastern Orthodoxy I wonder. Not very much I suspect.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You can find it pretty cheap online (remember to use Amazon Smile if that's your avenue; that gives money to a charity of your choice, with no extra fee to you). And if you don't want to, I understand, it's a lot of reading. But if disproving Catholicism is really what you want to do in this life, then a Catholic Theology major just told you what you need to do to convince him.
It looks like you’re basically saying that people need to buy and then read a book before discussing the matter with you. I’m also Catholic and even I find that a bit unreasonable.

Protestants typically refuse to meet Catholics on our terms. I think that’s one reason why they have so little success in persuasion. By contrast, it’s really not difficult for a Catholic to meet Protestants on their terms.

All in all, seeking to persuade Protestants is a pointless endeavor. I find that it’s better to merely inform Protestants and let the chips fall where they may.

Upvote 0

Athanasius377

Out of the deep I called unto thee O Lord
Supporter
Apr 22, 2017
Cincinnati
✟702,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
[Perhaps Anti-Catholic is too strong a term, but it was a lot shorter than saying, People who seriously disagree with the Catholic Church on Biblical grounds. But I digress.^_^]

A very common argument against Catholicism is the idea that the Catholic Church is unbiblical. A valid concern; however, I truly believe that this idea is a misconception. I've spent quite a bit of time arguing theology here & in real life with my Protestant brothers & sisters, and my Protestant brothers and sisters have spent quite a bit of time arguing theology with me. To date, nobody has changed their mind either way.

This is often due to an understandable lack of thoroughness; the Bible is a very detailed, sometimes complicated, and remarkably long book. A proper understanding of all its implications would take extensive time & effort that many of us just don't have.

So I will direct you to a book written by someone who has put in all that time & effort...an evangelical Protestant, who did a year-long in-depth Bible study to disprove Catholicism.

It's detailed enough that it can be hard to read, especially when Armstrong discusses the original languages used in the Bible. But if you really want to convince me against my Catholic Christian faith, this is my challenge: Read the book (all of it), take careful notes if that's how you do things, find out how the concert got it all wrong, and let me know. Give me a thorough enough explanation for how the Catholic Church isn't Biblically & historically valid, and I promise I will convert. You have to read the book first; I can't defend my faith & explain Scripture as well as Armstrong can, so I direct my apologetics to him (sometimes it's good to let someone more educated do the explaining).

I have this book in my library and I have read it. Challenge accepted. I will respond over the next few days when I have some free time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,609.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

He debated James White, who is Reformed and has written extensively on the Roman Catholic Church.

There are several books if you are interested in reading from Dr. White:

The Roman Catholic Controversy
Answers to Catholic Claims: A Discussion of Biblical Authority
The Fatal Flaw: Do the teachings of Roman Catholicism Deny the Gospel?

Upvote 0

Jord Simcha

Nov 30, 2019
Groningen
✟60,922.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A very common argument against Catholicism is the idea that the Catholic Church is unbiblical. A valid concern; however, I truly believe that this idea is a misconception.
And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven. Matthew 23:9

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath
✟1,002,191.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven. Matthew 23:9

Isaiah 51:2
2 Look to Abraham your father
and to Sarah who bore you;
for when he was but one I called him,
and I blessed him and made him many.

Exodus 20:12
12 “Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long in the land which the Lord your God gives you.

Genesis 45:8
8 So it was not you who sent me here, but God; and he has made me a father to Pharaoh, and lord of all his house and ruler over all the land of Egypt.

Job 29:16
16 I was a father to the poor,
and I searched out the cause of him whom I did not know.

Acts 7:2
2 And Stephen said:
“Brethren and fathers, hear me. The God of glory appeared to our father Abraham, when he was in Mesopota′mia, before he lived in Haran,

1 Corinthians 4:14-15
14 I do not write this to make you ashamed, but to admonish you as my beloved children. 15 For though you have countless guides in Christ, you do not have many fathers. For I became your father in Christ Jesus through the gospel.

There are more!

Its understanding what Jesus meant in your quote my friend. Its not what you 'think' it meant!

God bless you

Upvote 0

tz620q

Supporter
Apr 19, 2007
Carmel, IN
✟567,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi many people have made conversions from and into other faiths and that is not a good argument in and of itself. I left the Catholic church when I began to study the scriptures for myself. You have the pope embracing all the other faiths of the world and yet the list of things that will get you anathema is quite long and telling as is the Jesuit oath. Here is a link to the Jesuit oath and tell me again how this is part of the one true church.

Jesuit Extreme Oath of Induction
Wow. Way to prove his point. This oath has been shown to be another Anti-Catholic piece of propaganda.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

What do you say to the fact that far more Catholics convert to Protestantism than the other way around?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Brian Mcnamee

Feb 2, 2017
usa
✟213,965.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Wow. Way to prove his point. This oath has been shown to be another Anti-Catholic piece of propaganda.
here is a well researched historical account that is long and accurate. The scriptures say without faith it is impossible to please God and faith comes by hearing, hearing the word of God. The scriptures note that the Bareans were more noble minded and heard Paul and then searched the scriptures to see if the things Paul said were so. The Bible tells us to Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. So the Catholic church keeps the Bible in Latin where the common people do not know the language and then persecutes those who translate the Bible into English. The Bible says there is only one mediator between man and God and that is Christ Jesus. The whole structure of the Catholic church was to be the mediator and this is contrary to the word. Today the RCC is working under the cause of world peace and trying to unify the worlds religions and holds hands with Islam saying the they have the same God as we do and their tradition is ok. This is not true. This is the platform of the NWO one world government that will give way to the 7 year tribulation and rise of the antichrist. One of the main tenants of Islam is Allah never has or ever will beget a son. John says who ever denies the son that is the spirit of antichrist.

A Lamp in the Dark: The Untold History of the Bible - Top Documentary Films

Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0

tz620q

Supporter
Apr 19, 2007
Carmel, IN
✟567,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Brian, I am sorry but I could not get to the film from where I am right now. I assume that it is more of what you placed in your post. With the number of posts that you have on here, I assume you have crossed paths with threads that have discussed most of what you posted. This is a good site to learn of the apologetics used by others and I hope that you will find it as edifying as I have.

God be with you today,
Byron

Upvote 0

Brian Mcnamee

Feb 2, 2017
usa
✟213,965.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Hi rereading your initial post it is funny how you tab the quote of bishops rule the church of God as somehow pointing that the RCC is Biblical. What is the qualification of a bishop according to scripture?
1 This is a faithful saying: If a man desires the position of a bishop,[fn] he desires a good work. 2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, temperate, sober-minded, of good behavior, hospitable, able to teach; 3 not given to wine, not violent, not greedy for money,[fn] but gentle, not quarrelsome, not covetous; 4 one who rules his own house well, having his children in submission with all reverence 5 (for if a man does not know how to rule his own house, how will he take care of the church of God?); 6 not a novice, lest being puffed up with pride he fall into the same condemnation as the devil. 7 Moreover he must have a good testimony among those who are outside, lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil. The scriptures have married men with children as the model for who the bishops should be. All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, The doctrine is from scripture. How many married men you got with kids running your church?

Upvote 0

Brian Mcnamee

Feb 2, 2017
usa
✟213,965.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Brian, I am sorry but I could not get to the film from where I am right now. I assume that it is more of what you placed in your post. With the number of posts that you have on here, I assume you have crossed paths with threads that have discussed most of what you posted. This is a good site to learn of the apologetics used by others and I hope that you will find it as edifying as I have.

God be with you today,
Byron
you can google the title and perhaps find another link that will play it

Upvote 0