Anti-catholic; an emotion laden term meant to incite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joachim

The flag is a protest for state flags
Jan 14, 2009
Bob Riley is my governor
✟10,203.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I have to laugh about it.

I share the Gospel with people at the beach all the time and nobody's ever called me "anti-swimmer".

I share the Gospel with people at the mall all the time and nobody's ever called me "anti-shopper".

I share the Gospel in Battery Park, but nobody calls me "anti-New Yorker".

I share the Gospel at Phillies' games and nobody ever calls me "anti-baseball".

I share the Gospel at NASCAR races and nobody ever calls me "anti-whatever you call those people".

But share the Gospel with one Catholic and, all of a sudden, you're ANTI-CATHOLIC!
'

We already have the gospel. All of what you mentioned are things that are inherently secular in nature except for the Catholic. We Catholics believe that we have the Gospel and that we have the true Gospel. We also know that most Protestants use an improperly truncated scripture that treats certain parts of the inspired word of God as the work of men with no inspiration involved and they do it by using a term that had a specific meaning in the Douay-Rheims version.

When you preach to someone who is a Christian by coming in with the mindset that "you don't have the Gospel" and they believe that they do they are going to rightfully be offended that you have said this about them.

Upvote 0
J

JohnDeereFan

'

We already have the gospel.

And yet, none of the Catholics could even tell me what the Gospel is.

All of what you mentioned are things that are inherently secular in nature except for the Catholic. We Catholics believe that we have the Gospel and that we have the true Gospel.

So, we have a false Gospel?

When you preach to someone who is a Christian

How do you know they're Christians?

Belonging to a denomination doesn't make anyone a Christian.

by coming in with the mindset that "you don't have the Gospel" and they believe that they do they are going to rightfully be offended that you have said this about them.

And that's why we talk to them and explain to them what the Gospel is.

The Catholics we talk to don't see things the way you do. We talk to so many Catholics who believe they're going to Heaven because they're good people. We talk to many Catholics who believe they're born again just because somebody sprinkled some water on their head when they were a baby.

We share the Gospel with people of all sorts of denominations and the only ones who are ever offended are Catholics.

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
We christians are all God's children. Calvinist, Lutherans, Catholics, Orthodox, Baptists, etc... God is in each of us and we need to see that.

God Bless,
Yarddog
I like that. What about Jehovah's witnesses? ;)

Shoot dang (been round sunlover to much)
Aw shucks. :blush:

I have to laugh about it.

I share the Gospel with people at the beach all the time and nobody's ever called me "anti-swimmer".

I share the Gospel with people at the mall all the time and nobody's ever called me "anti-shopper".

I share the Gospel in Battery Park, but nobody calls me "anti-New Yorker".

I share the Gospel at Phillies' games and nobody ever calls me "anti-baseball".

I share the Gospel at NASCAR races and nobody ever calls me "anti-whatever you call those people".

But share the Gospel with one Catholic and, all of a sudden, you're ANTI-CATHOLIC!
Do you really share the gospel at all of those places?
:clap:

In fact, I was once accused of being a Catholic priest in disguise. That, I found quite amusing.
:D
Why did someone call you a priest in disguise!?

Upvote 0

Rdr Iakovos

Nov 4, 2004
Funkytown
✟8,010.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
Liberal tactic # 3: "When the argument fails, compare your opponent to white supremacists".
Knee-jerk Fundamentalist tactic #1- all who oppose me are "Liberals."
You are barking up the wrong tree there, Holmes. Firstly, it was not my intent to compare you to a white supremacist, but rather to make a very stark analogy. Point being David Duke is anti-allthingsbeigeanddarker, and you sir are anti-Catholic.

But if I were at a Yankee's game sharing the Gospel, I wouldn't be considered anti-Yankees.
Not unless you were calling the Yankee coaching staff a synaxis of devils

Just to clarify, I did not compare Catholicism to a sporting event. I pointed out that presenting the Gospel to a group of people, in this case, Phillies' fans, does not make you "anti" that group.
But that is the point: the Phillies are in the business of baseball, the Catholic Church in the enterprise of faith.

Extolling the virtues of Phillies baseball in a Catholic church in LA would not be deemed as controversial. Targeting a Christian group for prosletyzation IS.

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟818,915.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I like that. What about Jehovah's witnesses?
Hello sun,
I don't know much about the JW's doctrine but there is a family across the street that are JW's. Their son does some running with mine and they are very nice people. I don't do much worrying about the name of the Church as much as the person. There are good and bad people in every Church. Nobody has a free pass unless they truely have faith and God has revealed the cross to them and they have embraced it.

I did have some Mormons who were going door to door many years ago. I invited them in. I wasn't worried about their beliefs but began to witness to them, telling them of how Jesus had poured out his love into my life. The Holy Spirit was really flowing and the women were praising God.

They asked what Church I belonged to and when I told them that I belonged to the RCC they said that they thought that all Catholics were going to hell. They left with a different view.

I am always curious to what other Churches teach and they left the Book of Mormon with me. As I began to read it I began to shake. I put it down and in a few minutes all had returned to normal. I started reading it again and the shaking returned. This time I realized that the Holy Spirit didn't want me reading it so I threw the book away.

That said, I still will not judge the people. The HS allowed me to witness to them so I think there was a purpose to the event.

Look for the love which comes from God within people and not the name of their Church.

God Bless,
Yarddog

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
J

JohnDeereFan

I did have some Mormons who were going door to door many years ago. I invited them in. I wasn't worried about their beliefs but began to witness to them, telling them of how Jesus had poured out his love into my life. The Holy Spirit was really flowing and the women were praising God.

But did you share the Gospel with them?

They asked what Church I belonged to and when I told them that I belonged to the RCC they said that they thought that all Catholics were going to hell. They left with a different view.

How?

Upvote 0

Rdr Iakovos

Nov 4, 2004
Funkytown
✟8,010.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
Hello sun,
I don't know much about the JW's doctrine but there is a family across the street that are JW's. Their son does some running with mine and they are very nice people. I don't do much worrying about the name of the Church as much as the person. There are good and bad people in every Church. Nobody has a free pass unless they truely have faith and God has revealed the cross to them and they have embraced it.

I am always curious to what other Churches teach and they left the Book of Mormon with me. As I began to read it I began to shake. I put it down and in a few minutes all had returned to normal. I started reading it again and the shaking returned. This time I realized that the Holy Spirit didn't want me reading it so I threw the book away.

That said, I still will not judge the people. The HS allowed me to witness to them so I think there was a purpose to the event.

Look for the love which comes from God within people and not the name of their Church.

God Bless,
Yarddog
Excellent post.
Close Captioned for the Gospel-Impaired.
(see the bolded areas)

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟818,915.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
J

JohnDeereFan

But did you share the Gospel with them?
Jesus' message through the Holy Spirit is the Gospel.

Let's say that I'm a Mormon. How would you share the Gospel with me?

The Holy Spirit was moving and they felt that. Them being able to see God's Spirit in a Catholic allowed them to see that they had been misinformed.

So then, it wasn't through sharing the Gospel with them or showing where Catholic doctrines are found in the Bible, but through subjective and esoteric experiences?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

lionroar0

Coffee drinker
Jul 10, 2004
✟20,401.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The Holy Spirit was moving and they felt that. Them being able to see God's Spirit in a Catholic allowed them to see that they had been misinformed.

I think that this is a very important point. It is not us that evangilize(sp?) but the Holy Spirit through us.

Peace

Upvote 0
J

JohnDeereFan

I might be wrong, but it seems the term "Gospel" here has taken on the characteristics of a "trick question" ...

I don't see why. It's the most basic of Christian doctrines.

What do you say the "Gospel" is, JohnDeereFan ?

I'll be happy to answer that question as soon as Yarddog answers mine.

I want to know what Yarddog believes. I don't just want him to look at my answer and say, "Yeah, that's what I meant".

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟818,915.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Let's say that I'm a Mormon. How would you share the Gospel with me?
That would depend on the Holy Spirit and you. The ones that came to my home (2 women) were very nice and receptive to the message. I don't know how you would respond or how the Spirit would move me to speak.
So then, it wasn't through sharing the Gospel with them or showing where Catholic doctrines are found in the Bible, but through subjective and esoteric experiences?
Jesus Christ coming into this world and making us into something new is the Gospel. Jesus is alive in christians today just as he was 2000 years ago. There is no need to read scripture for the Gospel to be alive and present in our words.

Live for Christ and live the Gospel.
Yarddog

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.