✟15,554.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey guys!
I am doing some research/bible study about certain topics and stuff, and there is one thing that I am left with, of which I am unsure about.

In Genesis 1:27 NIV: "So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them."

My question is - would it be a sin to create anthropomorphic art? I mean, especially considering this verse, I am wondering about this subject - I know that giving humans animal characteristics would be a distortion of the way God intended us as humans to be, but would giving human characteristics to animals in art be wrong? It seems ok to me, but I want to make extra sure, just to be safe :-D

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hey guys!
I am doing some research/bible study about certain topics and stuff, and there is one thing that I am left with, of which I am unsure about.

In Genesis 1:27 NIV: "So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them."

My question is - would it be a sin to create anthropomorphic art? I mean, especially considering this verse, I am wondering about this subject - I know that giving humans animal characteristics would be a distortion of the way God intended us as humans to be, but would giving human characteristics to animals in art be wrong? It seems ok to me, but I want to make extra sure, just to be safe :-D
Show us what you have in mind and I will tell you what it means to me .. then we will both know! :)

.. and welcome to CF! :wave:

• Useful
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Mixing kinds seems like a bit of an abomination to me, to be honest..
Why would anyone even want to do that, is my question.

But hey, as long as you don't put any spiritual value on what you make, like worshipping or meditating on it (making it vivid in your mind), why not?

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hey guys!

ok .. so what is that? in the image of God? Hmmm .. we don't know what He physically looks like ... what do we know? We know His loving character. So ... pick something that represents/symbolizes His loving character.

"giving human characteristics to animals in art be wrong?" How about a Lamb with a big heart with a rainbow over it? That would be Jesus ;o)

John 1

29 The next day he saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, “Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!

The Lord uses symbolism all the time.

God Bless.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hey guys!

As Heironomous said the mixing of kinds is an abomination to God and his creation. You are saying about giving human characteristics to animals, such as? four footed animals walking upright?, eating food with a fork and knife? doing manual labor?

What are you looking for your message to be?

In the beginning when God created everything He as the creator proclaimed it as 'good' in other words perfect, not to be improved upon. Today as in ancient times man thinks he knows better than the creator and is doing abdominal things in the name of 'science'. Even just perpetuated in art still would emulate the same thing.

As far as presenting Adam and eve in one body it would all be speculation and could very well lead others that observe it to form the wrong ideas.

BTW I am an artist to and have struggled with these things myself. :)

• Friendly
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You are saying about giving human characteristics to animals, such as? four footed animals walking upright?, eating food with a fork and knife? doing manual labor?
Isn’t this essentially what C.S. Lewis did in his generally praised Narnia series? Not a pictorial image, but his word images are as powerful, and his use of anthropomorphic animals certainly had a positive and Christian message...

Upvote 0

Serving Zion

May 7, 2016
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hey guys!

I think there is a certain artistic value in the characteristics of other species:

.. where do you draw the line though?

Upvote 0

Aero17

Dec 23, 2018
South Africa
✟15,554.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Dang, so many replies already xD

@Serving Zion Thanks for the welcome! I will include an example picture at the end of this post :-Dhttps://www.christianforums.com/members/serving-zion.387004/

@Hieronymus It is not mixing breeds, but rather having animals have human characteristics - like standing on two paws, etc (as mentioned in a later post)

@eleos1954 I see what you mean.... Thanks for the feedback! :-D

@Lulav I mean it as four-pawed animals walking on two
It is not that I want to improve god's creation or so, it is just that I have seen this art before and made one myself and enjoyed it. The goal of the art would be to simply enjoy making it. I would never want to change God's work:-D

@Sketcher It is a shame that people make such art and take some of it as far as to worship it :-(

Here is the reference pic I talked about (one that I made):

My greatest fear is making such art now and then, only for it to be wrong or sinful :-( I would rather leave it if it is wrong
Otherwise, it is fun to make this now and then! :-D My next piece of art will be my effort to do an art of Jesus sitting on his throne; as I saw it in my head in church one day:-D

Attachments

• Aero2.jpg
    Aero2.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: Serving Zion
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, a picture says more than a thousand words.
It is reminiscent of pagan religions and / or artwork, like African and Indian (native American) though, and somewhat reminds (me) of ancient Egyptian art too.
So i can't escape the religious associations.
But that's just my opinion.
It looks kind of cool though.
I kind of like it.

Upvote 0

Serving Zion

May 7, 2016
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Dang, so many replies already xD

@Serving Zion Thanks for the welcome! I will include an example picture at the end of this post :-D

@Hieronymus It is not mixing breeds, but rather having animals have human characteristics - like standing on two paws, etc (as mentioned in a later post)

@eleos1954 I see what you mean.... Thanks for the feedback! :-D

@Lulav I mean it as four-pawed animals walking on two
It is not that I want to improve god's creation or so, it is just that I have seen this art before and made one myself and enjoyed it. The goal of the art would be to simply enjoy making it. I would never want to change God's work:-D

@Sketcher It is a shame that people make such art and take some of it as far as to worship it :-(

Here is the reference pic I talked about (one that I made):

My greatest fear is making such art now and then, only for it to be wrong or sinful :-( I would rather leave it if it is wrong
Otherwise, it is fun to make this now and then! :-D My next piece of art will be my effort to do an art of Jesus sitting on his throne; as I saw it in my head in church one day:-D
Hey, I quite like that! .. there's a friendliness in his face that looks like a laid-back and decent sort of character that we might see in a cartoon :oldthumbsup:

So I say keep at it, because "A healing tongue is a tree of life, but a deceitful one crushes the spirit. (Proverbs 15)

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Isn’t this essentially what C.S. Lewis did in his generally praised Narnia series? Not a pictorial image, but his word images are as powerful, and his use of anthropomorphic animals certainly had a positive and Christian message...
Not a fan, sorry

Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Hey guys!

I guess to me it isn't problematic.

I assume you are familiar with the visions of Ezekiel, which included some rather
Anthropomorphic beasts.

I think the best advice is that you should abide by whatever standards of practice are, for the Christian congregation you belong to. Ask your elders, if they have a problem with it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Serving Zion

May 7, 2016
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I would add that if it were truly wrong, then there would be no place in our lives for 90% of classic cartoons, fables, sports or school mascots, puppets...the list goes on and on. I think it's fine in proper perspective.
That is why Christianity is so chaotic. Most do not discern the spiritual food they eat (1 Corinthians 10:21, 2 Timothy 3:4-7, Romans 12).

Upvote 0