Anthem protests and Christian values

If you went to an NFL game, would you sit down while the national anthem plays?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

compassion 4 humanity

Oct 24, 2017
Texas
✟49,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
There has been controversy over the NFL anthem protests. Millions of patriotic fans have reacted angrily and quit watching football. In fact, ratings on some networks are down by 10% or higher.

Football isn’t my sport. But if I were to attend a game, I would gladly sit down when the US national anthem plays. For good reason, too.

Consider the prevalence of abortion. Well over 600,000 babies are murdered each year in the United States. Indeed, violence against the unborn is deeply sinful. Because liberals and feminists have too much power and influence, it seems like the massive genocide against the unborn will continue for the foreseeable future.

If I were to go to an NFL game, why on earth should I show respect to a nation where over 50 million unborn babies have been brutally slaughtered since Roe V. Wade? I will never respect or voice support for a country where abortion is seen a so-called choice. Killing the unborn isn’t a choice like choosing which neighborhood to live in; it’s murder. Because the United States has so much blood on its hands due to allowing abortion, I will always sit down whenever the anthem is played.

My fellow Christians, what would you do? If the national anthem were played, would you rightfully sit down instead of show respect to a deeply sinful, ungodly nation?

Reactions: 1213

Shempster

ImJustMe
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Football is a sport and that's all it is. It is meant for entertainment, so it should not matter if someone stands, sits, kneels or even stands on their heads.

As far as the national anthem and the pledge of allegiance, those are "vows" we make to our countries government. Last I checked, Jesus told us not to make vows. A "pledge" is just another form of a vow.

Now that I think about it, the church absolutely demands that we be married before any physical contact (which I agree with) but there is no biblical format to be married. All we have is the traditions of men which includes a vow. After we take the vow, the marriage is said to be legit, but what about Jesus plain command no not take any vows?

Upvote 0

Saucy

King of CF
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟837,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I wouldn't blame the nation for this. There are 300 million people who live here, so the number who get abortions are a vast minority. And I guess we can say there's a majority who live here against abortion, since I know a lot of liberal Christians who are also against it. There are many here in this country who fight against abortion.

The founding fathers said that our freedom was a God-given right by our Creator. Just like Jesus did and every other Christian ever born, we are forced to live in a world full of filth. But we're here for a reason. You'll never find a perfect country with perfect people, but the bible says a lot about submitting to authority and your leaders.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
To take a knee during the anthem is to me a very respectful way of honouring the anthem and the nation while at the same time bringing the publics attention to a societal evil that needs to be addressed.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Taking a knee doesn't do anything. It doesn't bring attention to issues. It just makes people angry and more divided than ever.

When the issue has gone on for centuries, sometimes drastic measures must be taken. If this doesn't work what is next?

Upvote 0

Saucy

King of CF
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟837,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
When the issue has gone on for centuries, sometimes drastic measures must be taken. If this doesn't work what is next?
It hasn't been going on for centuries. The statistics just don't measure up to what the social justice warriors are claiming. Twice as many whites are killed in this country than blacks. It's not a race problem, and the majority of people don't think it is either. That's why they're not rallying behind Kaepernick or any of the kneelers.

It's absurd that Colin gets "man of the year" for kneeling when JJ Watt helped raise millions for flood relief victims in Texas. No one is talking about WHY they kneel, so their message isn't even being heard. It's so disrespectful to a lot of Americans that it does nothing to raise awareness.

Upvote 0

compassion 4 humanity

Oct 24, 2017
Texas
✟49,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
I wouldn't blame the nation for this. There are 300 million people who live here, so the number who get abortions are a vast minority. And I guess we can say there's a majority who live here against abortion, since I know a lot of liberal Christians who are also against it. There are many here in this country who fight against abortion.

The founding fathers said that our freedom was a God-given right by our Creator. Just like Jesus did and every other Christian ever born, we are forced to live in a world full of filth. But we're here for a reason. You'll never find a perfect country with perfect people, but the bible says a lot about submitting to authority and your leaders.

No, the number of women who obtain abortions aren't in the vast minority. If you did a google search for "abortion demographics," you would see that 1 in 5 pregnancies in the US end in abortion. 20% of all pregnancies isn't a vast minority.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Taking a knee doesn't do anything. It doesn't bring attention to issues. It just makes people angry and more divided than ever.

So if peaceful protesting just angers people, and that's a bad thing we shouldn't do; then exactly what course of action should one take to protest injustice? If peaceful protesting is bad, I assume violent protesting is also bad--does that mean all protesting is bad and people should simply be quiet and put up with injustice in order to not upset the status quo?

Perhaps the early Christians should have simply offered a pinch of incense to Caesar and worshiped Jupiter/Zeus in order to appease the status quo instead of rocking the boat by denying the divine lordship of Caesar and declaring that another, Jesus of Nazareth, to be true King and Lord?

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Twice as many whites are killed in this country than blacks. It's not a race problem, and the majority of people don't think it is either
Saucy, there are approx. 4.5 as many whites in this country as there are blacks, not including Hispanic/Latino whites. So if it were an equivalent numbers of killed as blacks, then there should be 4.5 times as many whites killed as blacks, not 2 times/twice as you say.

As of July 2016, white Americans are the racial majority. African Americans are the largest racial minority, amounting to 13.3% of the population. Hispanic and Latino Americans amount to 17.8% of the total U.S. population, making up the largest ethnic minority. The White, non-Hispanic or Latino population make up 61.3% of the nation's total, with the total White population (including White Hispanics and Latinos) being 76.9%.[7]
Race and ethnicity in the United States - Wikipedia

EDITED for typos and sticky keys

Last edited:
Reactions: ViaCrucis
Upvote 0

jmldn2

Site Supporter
Nov 20, 2013
✟85,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Taking a knee during the national anthem to me is like trampling on the grass of a dead soldier who made it possible for this "land of the free and home of the brave."

I have nothing against protesting injustice but there is a place to do it. The NFL needs to understand that.

Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Protest only has any remote chance of being effective if the people witnessing it know the reason behind it. To simply sit during the anthem with no explanation could tell those around you that you are upset about racial prejudice, the cost of a hotdog, or are having severe gas cramps and need to let out a good toot.

Last edited:
Reactions: jmldn2
Upvote 0

jmldn2

Site Supporter
Nov 20, 2013
✟85,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Protest only has any remote chance of being effecting if the people witnessing it know the reason behind it. To simply sit during the anthem with no explanation could tell those around you that you are upset about racial prejudice, the cost of a hotdog, or are having severe gas cramps and need to let out a good toot.

LOLOL. I agree.

Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

compassion 4 humanity

Oct 24, 2017
Texas
✟49,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Taking a knee during the national anthem to me is like trampling on the grass of a dead soldier who made it possible for this "land of the free and home of the brave."

I have nothing against protesting injustice but there is a place to do it. The NFL needs to understand that.

Why do you think sitting down while the US anthem plays is extremely disrespectful to our soldiers? One of my grandfathers served in the Air Force during the Korean War as a supply sergeant. I have great respect for his service and the service of all troops. By no means is it a sort of “sacrilege,” to use that word loosely, against the soldiers to take a stand against abortion and refuse to participate in singing of the national anthem.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jmldn2

Site Supporter
Nov 20, 2013
✟85,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Why do you think sitting down while the US anthem plays is extremely disrespectful to our soldiers? One of my grandfathers served in the Air Force during the Korean War as a supply sergeant. I have great respect for his service and the service of all troops. By no means is it a sort of “sacrilege,” to use that word loosely, against the soldiers to take a stand against abortion and refuse to participate in singing of the national anthem.

Do you understand the national anthem? Do you understand its meaning? It's what America is all about. As I said, if one wants to protest for whatever reason, do it on their own personal time and give their reasons for protesting. Yes, it is a sacrilege against that anthem and for those who fought and are still fighting for it and for the privilege to protest.

Upvote 0

compassion 4 humanity

Oct 24, 2017
Texas
✟49,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Do you understand the national anthem? Do you understand its meaning? It's what America is all about. As I said, if one wants to protest for whatever reason, do it on their own personal time and give their reasons for protesting. Yes, it is a sacrilege against that anthem and for those who fought and are still fighting for it and for the privilege to protest.

Hey, I’m sorry if you feel that way. In all honesty, I don’t intend disrespect. It’s just that my anger towards legal abortion in the US has made me angry at the government for allowing and tolerating it. Maybe things will change in the future, but I don’t know.

Reactions: jmldn2
Upvote 0

jmldn2

Site Supporter
Nov 20, 2013
✟85,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Hey, I’m sorry if you feel that way. In all honesty, I don’t intend disrespect. It’s just that my anger towards legal abortion in the US has made me angry at the government for allowing and tolerating it. Maybe things will change in the future, but I don’t know.

I'm as angry about legal abortion as you are. Personally, that is the greatest sin in America and I believe legalizing abortion has undermined our nation to a great extent. You and I can certainly agree on this one.

Upvote 0

compassion 4 humanity

Oct 24, 2017
Texas
✟49,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
I'm as angry about legal abortion as you are. Personally, that is the greatest sin in America and I believe legalizing abortion has undermined our nation to a great extent. You and I can certainly agree on this one.

Thanks, I appreciate your kind words.

I’ve been thinking through my post and now want to admit I was wrong about disrespecting the anthem and flag to protest abortion. I thought, if I were to ask any soldier who fought for my freedom during WWI, WWII, or any other war in US history, how many of them would say they’re fighting for abortion “rights”? They were much more conservative in those generations, and very few of them would say they’re willing to put their lives on the line to support and enable abortion for American women. They fought for my freedom, and indeed the freedom of all Americans, and just because liberals and feminists have a lot of power now to enact pro-abortion laws doesn’t mean their sacrifice was meaningless.

Upvote 0