• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

(Answered) Suffering ocd, anxiety Very confused and need help

Some confused dude

May 25, 2021
Holden
✟9,557.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
So lets start at the beginning. Ive always had some ocd. I remember being five and trying to go to go to bed and picturing blocks going together in my head, seeing them fit snugly together was very satisfying, but they would always mess up somehow and I would not be able to relax until I made them right (which was never ) and i would cover my head with my blanket to try to stop the image from happening and get very frustrated. It would also show in my drawings in that whenever I drew a structure or machine (I loved the robot from the incredibles) I would almost always have the fear strike me that the structure could be unstable and collapse or the machine could be overheated and I would try to alleviate these thoughts by adding more beams, more pipes, ect, ect. But it would never calm the fear. Fast forward a few years and you'd find me not doing that anymore but instead developing a habit for every little thing I did in my life with the fear something would go wrong if I stopped the habit would form in minutes and would take months to overcome. Now when I turned 14 I had a major sliding from my faith born out of anger and revenge and I got into all sorts of deviances over the next few years, lusts, extremely sinful thoughts, movies, books, and video games ranging in almost anything you can think of (with a few exceptions) I prayed to God but really didn't care what he thought, I became reclusive and extremely hateful and vengful. This lasted untill I was about 21 when I woke up one morning and felt the most horrible and for me indescribable conviction I had ever felt accompanied with a deep sorrow. And throughout the next few days proceeded to throw away around 90% of my video games and all my other sinful things only keeping the ones I didn't feel compelled to get rid of (some basic strategy games) and turned to God begging for forgiveness. For weeks if I remember correctly I prayed and sought God until one night I was praying for forgiveness for hours when I suddenly felt a strange feeling and it felt like cool water was running through my very soul and I suddenly felt my guilt wash away with it and peace enter me.
I continued to study and listen to the scripture intensely for weeks and then calmed down and read and studied it a bit at the end of every day or so and still do.
Why give all this seemingly unrelated info you may ask? Well you see some weeks ago I got back into video games and movies watching and playing what I dont feel conviction for and not watching or playing what makes me feel bad , thanking God for blessing me with them and all seemed fine and dandy.
However, recently My ocd has been attacking with considerable strength and whats worse, has been mixing with my religion. I have begun doubting my salvation or if my repentance was good enough or real at heart or just out of fear and I haven't truly become a Christian other than in word. The bible says for example Christians will show love, that is one of their fruits right? and while I have stopped for the most part in hating everyone my temper is still easily aroused over silly things (say someone honks at me on the freeway or someone just wont stop talking) I also still have rather bad patience. But thats not all oh nononono. I also have a hard time telling if its the holly spirit or the ocd talking to me. Remember me trusting feeling the holy spirit on things? Well now I feel guilt on almost everything and its not even consistent, some days I'll pick up a game and feel fine others I'll pick up the same game and feel terible. Sometimes I'll even feel a voice tell me I'll going to go to hell if I play some strategy games. I also have voices continually repeating horrible blasphemy and pledges which I am always fighting 24/7 because I feel bad for even letting them be there.I also feel bad for feelling proud for things I built or drew, or helped with because pride is a sin. I wouldn't think it would apply to such things but I don't want to risk being wrong, I also feel guilt for drawing silly things like knights dueling. No blood no gore, just good old swords clashing. But I don't know if it's the holy spirit condeming voilence or ocd going crazy (same applies to some movies and video games) so I've stopped drawing for a bit just to be safe. And thats another thing.I'm terrified of being wrong while thinking I was right! One of the most terrifying things to me is being one of the people who think they're going to heaven but actually aren't! And I can't shake that fear no matter how much I study! When I was a child I had dreams of monsters taking over the world and killing anyone who wouldn't become a monster and out of fear of death I accepted and became a monster and now that I'm older I'm afraid those dreams little me had where about the anti christ and me accepting the mark of the beast (yeah I wasn't the happiest of kids) and as silly as that sounds my ocd has made it a major fear of my life. I'm not even 100% shure of what I'm feeling anymore conviction,anxiety,stress,joy, all seem to be mixed altogether so the only time I'm not worried is when I feel nothing at all. I also doubt what I'm posting, is this me thumbing my nose at God and seeking guidance others rather than his for example? I've heard one of the ways to silence ocd is just expose yourself to it and ignore it, but what if some of its the Holy Spirit and I end up searing it? Or what if this is me trying to ignore Gods advice and just covering it with an excuse? Am i not giving God enough time in my life and is this just me trying to find excuses? What if I don't have salvation and this is just my mind making things up out of desperation?
I doubt when I make a penstroke, I doubt when I use certian numbers ,I doubt and fear when I make decisions. I feel kinda bad for posting this wondering if I'm just trying to find ways around God and might be greiving him. Sorry for the long text but I could really use some advice and I dont have money for counselling or a psychiatrist.

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟149,897.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sorry for the long text but I could really use some advice and I dont have money for counselling or a psychiatrist.
I thought you can get at least some emergency, basic medical care for free in the USA?

Anyway, books and youtube videos are cheap.

Some basic advice I can give is:
a) wake up at the same time every day (so that your bodily chemistry and hormones get in order)
b) clean your room, throw away as many material things you can (mess and visual chaos in your room gives you a lot of stress)
c) excercise regularly
d) find some activity you can fix your mind on when you will have some harder OCD day (can be some manual activity, movie... you will find out what suits you best).
e) healthy diet, without sugar, salt, too much fat etc, give your brain quality sources for a quality functioning.

Never go down the way the OCD is taking you, find some simple counterargument and fix on that. Do not think about "what if". I did not even read what your specific "problems" are, because they are virtual. The more time you spend in them, the stronger the OCD will be. It feeds upon your thoughts you are giving to it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Some confused dude

May 25, 2021
Holden
✟9,557.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I thought you can get at least some emergency, basic medical care for free in the USA?

Anyway, books and youtube videos are cheap.

Some basic advice I can give is:
a) wake up at the same time every day (so that your bodily chemistry and hormones get in order)
b) clean your room, throw away as many material things you can (mess and visual chaos in your room gives you a lot of stress)
c) excercise regularly
d) find some activity you can fix your mind on when you will have some harder OCD day (can be some manual activity, movie... you will find out what suits you best).
e) healthy diet, without sugar, salt, too much fat etc, give your brain quality sources for a quality functioning.

Never go down the way the OCD is taking you, find some simple counterargument and fix on that. Do not think about "what if". I did not even read what your specific "problems" are, because they are virtual. The more time you spend in them, the stronger the OCD will be. It feeds upon your thoughts you are giving to it.
I will follow this advice. Thank you. :)

Reactions: trophy33
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I doubt when I make a penstroke, I doubt when I use certian numbers ,I doubt and fear when I make decisions. I feel kinda bad for posting this wondering if I'm just trying to find ways around God and might be greiving him. Sorry for the long text but I could really use some advice and I dont have money for counselling or a psychiatrist.

free professional advice about ocd is available read:-
International OCD Foundation | 25 Tips for Succeeding in Your OCD Treatment

asicly it says do not argue or ignore ot talk to intrusive thoughts, just acknowledge them.

So you have a thought, ' that action as bad, you will be punished.' or ' Jesus is not God.' or some other thought, all you do is say/think, " Yes that is correct." then pay it no more attention and carry on with your life.

You may need some form of medication to quiten your raging thoughts if you are getting lots of these intrusive thoughts.

Questions and doubts, are they real or the result of intrusive thougths?
Real qustions and doubts one deals with by finding answers to them, try coldcasechristianity, or answersingenesis.

Lastly your salvation does not depend on your feelings, but on the facts about who you are trusting.
Jesus died and rose from the dead to deal with yours and my sins.
Christians are forgiven, praise God for that forgiveness and seek ti show that you are his by how you live.
yes learn to curb your temper, to be patient and caring etc etc.

Do read that article as it will help you.

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So, disclaimer - I'm not a therapist of any sort. I have some mental illness, and my brother Matt has what I would consider to be bad OCD similar to yours along with bad physical pain. (I'd appreciate you saying a prayer for him today, it might help and be heard)

From what I see, OCD feelings like this can be summed up as 'what if I've done something wrong' => I'll get fired, the IRS will complete after me, I'll never be forgiven, I've made the wrong choice, God will damn me etc. and they completely rob peace. Life feels like a choice you make at a corner, and whether you turn left or right, after you turn, you feel horrible like you've made the wrong choice.

Complicating this matter a bit is that there ARE things which are right and wrong, and we are not meant to feel right while doing wrong. Paul said something along the lines of being led by the spirit "all things are lawful for me but not all things are profitable"

1 Corinthians 6: 12
12 "Everything is permissible for me"--but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible for me"--but I will not be mastered by anything.

I love strategy games too, but looking back, I've literally been consumed by them at some times in my life. There's noting wrong with playing Civ 3, 4, 5 etc. They are quite beautiful games. But... for me, I play and then don't stop. And then I got annoyed when I have to stop to attend to work, life, relationships, etc. Which tells me they are mastering me. So, I stopped playing them for a bit, completely when I saw Steam calculating how much time I'd been on them.

Now, I do have a very tactical mind as a result of these things, and I love to micro-manage. But, I always say I will play for "60 minutes" and this becomes 90 and then becomes 3am. Which impacts everything and renders me close to useless the next day, aside from whatever profitable things I could have let God lead me into during the time that was wasted the previous day. Funny to be able to micro manage a Galactic Empire, but not be able to manage my own life!

Mostly what I would say to you is OCD tends to have a very negative view of God - seek positive. Make good prayers that a good God answers. Because He is a good God and a good Father. Faith is not just a belief that "something" is there - faith is a belief in the CHARACTER of that something. That it is a good character. "Father, grant me a humble, holy, helpful heart today. Help me to be a blessing to others today. Show me how to be a blessing to you today. Show me how to live my life today"

I think you made good decisions by evaluating and putting away violent or obviously sin strengthening games, videos and things. But the Spirit is more than just a negative - there are things that it loves, appreciation of a sunlit day, being helpful being kind. And living within you, what it loves, it will want you to love too. And it will show you how to love too. I don't particularly think it's offended at drawings of knights crossing swords, and while it is Perfect, I don't think it is a Perfectionist either, in the harsh condemning sense of the word.

But maybe God just wants you to spend some time with Him? There's a classic poem called "the Hound of Heaven" and it's about someone who found no peace until he turned to God. I used to call it "the Hound of Hell" because I felt like my inability to find peace (which I blamed God for) was driving me to Hell. I don't call it that anymore, nor do I think God was Hounding me (or you) or wants to Hound anyone.

I think He might just be lonely, like a neglected parent whose child has moved away and never calls or visits. The child feels guilt, because they know whatever they are doing, (even if it's not a particularly bad thing), it isn't the right thing, it isn't the thing they SHOULD be doing, first, before doing other things. And then the guilt instead of moving them to fix the situation, moves them further away. I know, because I have been this child, both to my earthly mother, and to my heavenly Father.

So, spend some time in prayer with him in the morning from this perspective, it may help. It has helped me, and He has helped me.

Hope this helps you, God bless you

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So lets start at the beginning. Ive always had some ocd. I remember being five and trying to go to go to bed and picturing blocks going together in my head, seeing them fit snugly together was very satisfying, but they would always mess up somehow and I would not be able to relax until I made them right (which was never ) and i would cover my head with my blanket to try to stop the image from happening and get very frustrated. It would also show in my drawings in that whenever I drew a structure or machine (I loved the robot from the incredibles) I would almost always have the fear strike me that the structure could be unstable and collapse or the machine could be overheated and I would try to alleviate these thoughts by adding more beams, more pipes, ect, ect. But it would never calm the fear. Fast forward a few years and you'd find me not doing that anymore but instead developing a habit for every little thing I did in my life with the fear something would go wrong if I stopped the habit would form in minutes and would take months to overcome. Now when I turned 14 I had a major sliding from my faith born out of anger and revenge and I got into all sorts of deviances over the next few years, lusts, extremely sinful thoughts, movies, books, and video games ranging in almost anything you can think of (with a few exceptions) I prayed to God but really didn't care what he thought, I became reclusive and extremely hateful and vengful. This lasted untill I was about 21 when I woke up one morning and felt the most horrible and for me indescribable conviction I had ever felt accompanied with a deep sorrow. And throughout the next few days proceeded to throw away around 90% of my video games and all my other sinful things only keeping the ones I didn't feel compelled to get rid of (some basic strategy games) and turned to God begging for forgiveness. For weeks if I remember correctly I prayed and sought God until one night I was praying for forgiveness for hours when I suddenly felt a strange feeling and it felt like cool water was running through my very soul and I suddenly felt my guilt wash away with it and peace enter me.
I continued to study and listen to the scripture intensely for weeks and then calmed down and read and studied it a bit at the end of every day or so and still do.
Why give all this seemingly unrelated info you may ask? Well you see some weeks ago I got back into video games and movies watching and playing what I dont feel conviction for and not watching or playing what makes me feel bad , thanking God for blessing me with them and all seemed fine and dandy.
However, recently My ocd has been attacking with considerable strength and whats worse, has been mixing with my religion. I have begun doubting my salvation or if my repentance was good enough or real at heart or just out of fear and I haven't truly become a Christian other than in word. The bible says for example Christians will show love, that is one of their fruits right? and while I have stopped for the most part in hating everyone my temper is still easily aroused over silly things (say someone honks at me on the freeway or someone just wont stop talking) I also still have rather bad patience. But thats not all oh nononono. I also have a hard time telling if its the holly spirit or the ocd talking to me. Remember me trusting feeling the holy spirit on things? Well now I feel guilt on almost everything and its not even consistent, some days I'll pick up a game and feel fine others I'll pick up the same game and feel terible. Sometimes I'll even feel a voice tell me I'll going to go to hell if I play some strategy games. I also have voices continually repeating horrible blasphemy and pledges which I am always fighting 24/7 because I feel bad for even letting them be there.I also feel bad for feelling proud for things I built or drew, or helped with because pride is a sin. I wouldn't think it would apply to such things but I don't want to risk being wrong, I also feel guilt for drawing silly things like knights dueling. No blood no gore, just good old swords clashing. But I don't know if it's the holy spirit condeming voilence or ocd going crazy (same applies to some movies and video games) so I've stopped drawing for a bit just to be safe. And thats another thing.I'm terrified of being wrong while thinking I was right! One of the most terrifying things to me is being one of the people who think they're going to heaven but actually aren't! And I can't shake that fear no matter how much I study! When I was a child I had dreams of monsters taking over the world and killing anyone who wouldn't become a monster and out of fear of death I accepted and became a monster and now that I'm older I'm afraid those dreams little me had where about the anti christ and me accepting the mark of the beast (yeah I wasn't the happiest of kids) and as silly as that sounds my ocd has made it a major fear of my life. I'm not even 100% shure of what I'm feeling anymore conviction,anxiety,stress,joy, all seem to be mixed altogether so the only time I'm not worried is when I feel nothing at all. I also doubt what I'm posting, is this me thumbing my nose at God and seeking guidance others rather than his for example? I've heard one of the ways to silence ocd is just expose yourself to it and ignore it, but what if some of its the Holy Spirit and I end up searing it? Or what if this is me trying to ignore Gods advice and just covering it with an excuse? Am i not giving God enough time in my life and is this just me trying to find excuses? What if I don't have salvation and this is just my mind making things up out of desperation?
Oh, this sounds so typical of OCD! It loves to feed off whatever is most important to us. It makes sense, then, that it would jump onto your faith. You have a beautiful redemption story, but of course OCD will try to suck the joy from that any way it can.

I've struggled with OCD for many years, so there's much I could say about it. But first I'd like to know, what do you already know about treating OCD? Have you ever gotten professional help? If you're interested in educating yourself more about it, I can give you links to some of the resources I've found most helpful. May God bless you as you continue your search for wisdom and freedom!

Upvote 0

Nicole Roberson

Jan 18, 2019
Cypress
✟20,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
now I feel guilt on almost everything and its not even consistent, some days I'll pick up a game and feel fine others I'll pick up the same game and feel terible. Sometimes I'll even feel a voice tell me I'll going to go to hell if I play some strategy games. I also have voices continually repeating horrible blasphemy and pledges which I am always fighting 24/7 because I feel bad for even letting them be there.I also feel bad for feelling proud for things I built or drew, or helped with because pride is a sin. I wouldn't think it would apply to such things but I don't want to risk being wrong, I also feel guilt for drawing silly things like knights dueling. No blood no gore, just good old swords clashing. But I don't know if it's the holy spirit condeming voilence or ocd going crazy (same applies to some movies and video games) so I've stopped drawing for a bit just to be safe. And thats another thing.I'm terrified of being wrong while thinking I was right! One of the most terrifying things to me is being one of the people who think they're going to heaven but actually aren't! And I can't shake that fear no matter how much I study!

Yes! That's the exact issue I'm having. I struggle to know what the Holy Spirit is convicting me of or if I'm just overthinking it. Like I've become paranoid or feeling condemned, worried that if watching horror movies with any gore or violence (even just some, not a lot) or watching any show or movie with some ungodly things is convicting me or if I'm just making things hard on myself. I get so afraid and feel condemned, just under anxiety about the whole thing which I know is not of God. Then yeah, like you I'm afraid of what I don't know or what I don't recognize the Lord telling me and get these thoughts that 'oh you're gonna be left behind if you're still doing this or that..." I've just gotten so upset over this.

Upvote 0