US
✟90,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have a new job that pays 19/hr. That's the best I've ever made. It's an office job in another pharmacy call center though. I hate office jobs in call centers and developed a bad wheeze from my last job it was so bad I was wearing mask at work and still have chest pains.

I'm still studying programming trying desperately to make up for my wasted science degree and still can't get a entry level laboratory job and it's been 3 years.

I was talking to a dental assistant at my dental office and she used to work in an office call center for $21/hr and she even told me they pay good but it destroys your health and isn't worth it and I have to agree. I even started desperately searching trades i could do, but there's nothing I like or have the money or time to learn after spending 5 years in University.

I'm nearly in tears thinking about this. I've worked so hard all my life and I feel like I can't get anywhere. So jealous of my mechanic boyfriend. He has a career not a job and on his days off he doesn't have to spend all his time studying or career searching trying to figure out how to get ahead.

I even tried starting a business and failed. I don't want to be stuck in pharmacy technician call center jobs forever.

I'm distraught.

Last edited:

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Have you tried a lower position than a lab job to get more experience? Sometimes it's necessary to step down a few rungs on the ladder to bolster your resume because experience is king, especially on a pile of profiles where academically there are little to no differences.

If it means taking a step back for a few years then that's not the end of the world :)

Upvote 0

Angeleyes7715

Dec 13, 2015
US
✟90,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
In Relationship
If you have a science degree, then it would seem that you are more employable than the average liberal arts grad, at least in the States. Have you looked at government jobs?

Yeah and I got interviewed and didn't get them. And I live in the states and no a science degree is not much now days. Most employers don't even know what biochemistry means....

Upvote 0

Angeleyes7715

Dec 13, 2015
US
✟90,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Have you tried a lower position than a lab job to get more experience? Sometimes it's necessary to step down a few rungs on the ladder to bolster your resume because experience is king, especially on a pile of profiles where academically there are little to no differences.

If it means taking a step back for a few years then that's not the end of the world :)

There's nothing lower in that field working as a lab assistant or tech is as low as I can go. And I have experience I did research for professors for free for years and even have a publication. There's literally nothing for me outside of pharmacy call centers. Sometimes there are 3-4 science positions in labs that require PHDs and maybe 3-4 tech level positions which are interviewing 100 people for one spot.

Upvote 0

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah and I got interviewed and didn't get them. And I live in the states and no a science degree is not much now days. Most employers don't even know what biochemistry means....
I think you are selling yourself short. You are far more qualified than you might think. Try a head hunter or try the FBI.

Upvote 0

Angeleyes7715

Dec 13, 2015
US
✟90,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
In Relationship
So I've been really brainstorming, I mean really. I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with me, or at least what I'm missing that everyone else gets when it comes to work.

It seems like and I could be wrong, but it seems like people who like being at work or are even able to tolerate it to the point of keeping a steady full-time job for years have other motivators. There's no way a tiny bit of money or even fear is enough to keep someone faithfully giving up their time everyday for 8 hours a day. This logically doesn't sound right to me.

My theory is that people that don't have a problem with this fit into one of these categories.

a) Actually enjoy office politics and small talk( I don't know how these people exist but I'm sure they're extroverts).
b) Have co-workers or a boss they think is their friend b/c they haven't learned how to separate personal from business.
c) Avoiding family that they don't feel like being around and work is their only escape.
d) They are having and affair or there is a love interest at work so they enjoy being there cause it's their only chance to see this person.
e) Enjoy bragging about how hard they work, the company they work for, and what they do.
f) They hate their job but they lie cause they don't want people to know.

I mean obviously money is a big factor but I still don't think it's what makes people put up with this lifestyle day after day. There are other ways to make money other than giving up time so that's why I think people have other motivators.

I'd appreciate thoughts on this. I'm just trying to understand myself and why I'm not like others/ why it seems others have a higher tolerance for this lifestyle than I do.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I don't mind my work. There are times when I find it fulfilling. But I'm thankful for the income it provides.

I don't enjoy the office politics or time spent at work that I could be spending reading and drinking coffee.

If you can find a way to earn money without having to having to go a physical job site each day, then do that. I've heard of
people with programming jobs working from home. It can be done. That sounds appealing to me also.

• Informative
Reactions: vinsight4u
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Until recently (about the past year) I actually enjoyed my work. I'm a computer programmer and got satisfaction from creating programs out of thin air and seeing them work. I also enjoyed the little socialization I took part in (even though I'm an introvert).

I've had opportunities to work from home, but I've found it doesn't work for me. I'm less focused, more distracted, and don't get the socialization that I would get if I were in the office.

This last year has changed all that, and I really don't want to work anymore (but I'm too young to retire). But that's a whole 'nuther topic.

• Optimistic
Reactions: vinsight4u
Upvote 0

Angeleyes7715

Dec 13, 2015
US
✟90,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
In Relationship
My statements don't really apply to work from home people or programmers since this is what I'm working on getting into.

Entrepreneurial, freelance, and remote programmers don't really count. Since you at least have some sort of ownership over your projects and control over your environment.

This mostly applies to call center, blue collar laborers, daily desk job employees, and those who are stuck spending more time with work then anything else. These people spend all their time building someone else's dream and so I don't understand it. Like this one lady I worked in a call center with. She was actually really trying very hard to be the perfect employee. It wasn't just for promotion or anything she was like really into her job even though I found the job completely infantile and nothing to be proud of or engaged in. It's as if she had a job sharpening pencils for 8 hours and was excited about it.

I also learned some employees took medications (drugs) to function at work. I've started to wonder if the American way is to medicate yourself because work life is depressing for the poor and middle class. I mean I read somewhere near 75% of Americans hate their jobs. It's really weird how money could be the only motivators for 75% of people who hate their jobs to do them everyday for years and years. I'm not buying it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think our jobs should define us. And there probably is some management psychology involved in manipulating employees into compliance. Maybe if people could just focus on work for what it provides them outside of work.

One thing to note though, as a freelance programmer, you'll probably have to devote a lot of time to the work. You'll escape the downsides of an office environment, but not the time commitment.

Upvote 0