Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I was playing doom and I came across a strange meme which claimed that the protagonist of Doom is a faithful, yet long-suffering Catholic with a strong belief in God, having attended four years of Catholic school. The point of the game is to battle demons, defeat the forces of evil even invading hell to obliterate the army of darkness. Albeit it is gory so can some bible passages such as Is. 34:2-3. Of course, games and books are different. I don't know I am mentally disabled.

-

sometimesthewolf

Aug 24, 2017
The Desert
✟17,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was curious about playing Doom Eternal myself, and had played the one they released a few years ago for PS4.

I heard a testimony from a brother who played the older Doom as a teen, and he began to see the same demonic eyes from the game in his dreams, and one way or another, became possessed, and converted to satanism.

By the grace of God, he was saved and gave his life to Christ, but his testimony still sticks with me, and I try to avoid things with overtly demonic themes.

Sometimes you can just sense something isn’t right. The claim that the protagonist is a catholic might be a stretch. Even if it were true narrative-wise, I wouldn’t doubt that there were harmful elements by indulging the game.

Reactions: Nick Moser
Upvote 0

JohnClay

Married Mouth-Breather
Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2006
Australia
Visit site
✟447,819.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
The ending of Doom II:
Ending screens for Classic Doom / Doom II games (all platforms)
YOU'VE DONE IT. THE INVASION IS OVER.
EARTH IS SAVED. HELL IS A WRECK. YOU
WONDER WHERE BAD FOLKS WILL GO WHEN THEY
DIE,
That doesn't really fit Catholic theology.... it's as if the Doom guy is Jesus....

In Doom Eternal there is an angel-like being called Khan Maykr and I think her home is a kind of heaven... though she is evil... (I might be mistaken)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I was curious about playing Doom Eternal myself, and had played the one they released a few years ago for PS4.

I heard a testimony from a brother who played the older Doom as a teen, and he began to see the same demonic eyes from the game in his dreams, and one way or another, became possessed, and converted to satanism.

By the grace of God, he was saved and gave his life to Christ, but his testimony still sticks with me, and I try to avoid things with overtly demonic themes.

Sometimes you can just sense something isn’t right. The claim that the protagonist is a catholic might be a stretch. Even if it were true narrative-wise, I wouldn’t doubt that there were harmful elements by indulging the game.

This sounds to be a coincidence to me. I played Doom 1, 2, Ultimate Doom, Doom 3, etc etc all throughout the years, and I've had no troubles. We also don't hear of Doom players going, and converting to Satanism in droves.

Be careful of looking for evil in places that it doesn't need to exist. This gives the evil one much more power than he has, or deserves. Remember to think of the Light, and not dwell on the darkness.

Upvote 0

sometimesthewolf

Aug 24, 2017
The Desert
✟17,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This sounds to be a coincidence to me. I played Doom 1, 2, Ultimate Doom, Doom 3, etc etc all throughout the years, and I've had no troubles. We also don't hear of Doom players going, and converting to Satanism in droves.

Be careful of looking for evil in places that it doesn't need to exist. This gives the evil one much more power than he has, or deserves. Remember to think of the Light, and not dwell on the darkness.

Maybe. Fair enough. I’m just wary of a lot of modern media because it’s chock full of occultism.

I’d like to respectfully counter with: also be careful of allowing complacency, or a desire to appease the flesh to cause us to indulge evil.

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Watching and Praying Always
Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,196.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
It's weird how you can, even in secular worldly media.. find yourself seeing Illustrations of Jesus everywhere. They're not perfect illustrations of Jesus by any means, but 1 singular hero sent from above to deliver the world from demons? In the game it's a guy in powered body army with a shotgun. In reality it's Jesus. I always knew I'd be able to see the enemy's attempts at deception in all worldly media, but I never expected to find Christ everywhere I looked.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
It's weird how you can, even in secular worldly media.. find yourself seeing Illustrations of Jesus everywhere. They're not perfect illustrations of Jesus by any means, but 1 singular hero sent from above to deliver the world from demons? In the game it's a guy in powered body army with a shotgun. In reality it's Jesus. I always knew I'd be able to see the enemy's attempts at deception in all worldly media, but I never expected to find Christ everywhere I looked.

It doesn't surprise me at all. There are common tropes through which we make sense of the world on a pre-rational level. James Campbell's Hero with a Thousand Faces comes to mind.

Anyways, I'm more of a Doom 3 fan. I prefer the survival horror atmosphere.

Upvote 0

BrAndreyu

Jun 1, 2020
Florida
✟30,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I still play Ultimate Doom and Doom II on PC all these years later. I was not terribly interested in the reboot or Doom Eternal, as they lacked something that the original games had and seemed much too complex for me.

Upvote 0

CHRI5

Jul 27, 2021
Montgomery
✟8,423.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Doom is a great game if you enjoy the general fast-paced gameplay. I personally am more of someone who loves taking their time and enjoying the environment around me so DOOM is not my forte however I have considered playing DOOM Eternal, now as for it I'm not gonna do it. Anyways I'd never suggested looking at media/games as a way for actual good theology. Most writers who have no theological background never look into grasping one for writing Christianity into their works which makes it ever so frustrating...

Reactions: BrAndreyu
Upvote 0

BrAndreyu

Jun 1, 2020
Florida
✟30,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have these ideas for RPGs that could have a Christian theme and be pretty well done. For a while I was making one with RPGMaker, but that laptop died and I lost everything I had.

I don't think that you could really execute a Christian FPS game. Yes, I know about Super Noah's Ark 3D but that's not what I'm talking about, as that was about as cornpone as it gets.

Reactions: CHRI5
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CHRI5

Jul 27, 2021
Montgomery
✟8,423.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have these ideas for RPGs that could have a Christian theme and be pretty well done. For a while I was making one with RPGMaker, but that laptop died and I lost everything I had.

I don't think that you could really execute a Christian FPS game. Yes, I know about Super Noah's Ark 3D but that's not what I'm talking about, as that was about as cornpone as it gets.
You should consider pitching some ideas here and hopefully, some game developers would find them and actually make them. Or you could go the route and try and make it yourself, document it on yt, grow the project into actually something.

Reactions: BrAndreyu
Upvote 0

BrAndreyu

Jun 1, 2020
Florida
✟30,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You should consider pitching some ideas here and hopefully, some game developers would find them and actually make them. Or you could go the route and try and make it yourself, document it on yt, grow the project into actually something.

They already did games like Crusader Kings, one of my ideas was kind of similar to that but make it an action-RPG like the Tales series and you have to uncover a conspiracy in the church. I didn't have the whole plotline sketched out, but it was basically that high ranking bishops and cardinals were involved with the occult and were plotting to assassinate a sitting pope in order to start what would have been a "world war" at the time. It was based on a fantasy version of Europe and the middle east. Where there was actual magic and priests had divine magic abilities (think clerics in D&D/Pathfinder). Some of these priests, bishops, etc were using black magic and you had to uncover the plot and prevent the assassination of the pope so that Europe wouldn't plunge into an all-out war. It was going to be like a Dragon Quest game in that the combat was really simple initially, only later did I think it would be cool to make it into an action-RPG but I lack any sort of programming knowledge so it will likely just remain a pipe dream at least until I write the whole thing out, which let's be honest, probably won't happen lol.

I spent way too much of my youth writing out extensive D&D campaigns that were never played.

• Friendly
Reactions: CHRI5
Upvote 0