Miami
✟39,620.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks to you who read or read and responded to my previous post, "The terrible thing."

Here is another aspect of my problem:

I have what are to me interesting and worthwhile plans for my life. These are perfectly legal, moral and ethical plans. But I only plan to begin to carry out those plans if I think I am saved.

Interesting plans for my life come down to interesting plans for the day, each day, including today. I have interesting plans for today. But as long as the possibility remains that I am not yet saved, I do not work on those plans. Instead, I concentrate on obtaining salvation.

I try to sincerely give my life to Christ. But then, I wonder if I was/am really sincere enough to actually get saved. One matter is this: do I give my life to Christ, then go about those plans? What if those plans are not what He wants for me? In fact, what if those plans are idols? What if busying myself with those plans would actually keep me from Him and His will?

I can "give my life to Christ" and then start on those planned activities. If I think those plans are within God's will for me, then, how convenient! I may fool myself into thinking my will is His will, and so, no problem! Just cruise!

Do I "give my life to Christ" with the subconscious intent to just go my own way, afterward?

Wondering about the above is part of my problem as to whether I am sincere with God, and whether I am really saved.

Bob8102

Nov 9, 2019
Miami
✟39,620.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
BTW: RocknAnchor wrote something relevant in his reply to "The terrible thing." He said:

Each person should remain in the situation they were in when God called them.

I could go by that to decide to continue with my plans for today and for my life. But if I'm not saved, never mind those plans.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟247,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Thanks to you who read or read and responded to my previous post, "The terrible thing."

Here is another aspect of my problem:

I have what are to me interesting and worthwhile plans for my life. These are perfectly legal, moral and ethical plans. But I only plan to begin to carry out those plans if I think I am saved.

Interesting plans for my life come down to interesting plans for the day, each day, including today. I have interesting plans for today. But as long as the possibility remains that I am not yet saved, I do not work on those plans. Instead, I concentrate on obtaining salvation.

I try to sincerely give my life to Christ. But then, I wonder if I was/am really sincere enough to actually get saved. One matter is this: do I give my life to Christ, then go about those plans? What if those plans are not what He wants for me? In fact, what if those plans are idols? What if busying myself with those plans would actually keep me from Him and His will?

I can "give my life to Christ" and then start on those planned activities. If I think those plans are within God's will for me, then, how convenient! I may fool myself into thinking my will is His will, and so, no problem! Just cruise!

Do I "give my life to Christ" with the subconscious intent to just go my own way, afterward?

Wondering about the above is part of my problem as to whether I am sincere with God, and whether I am really saved.

Getting saved as you say, is not about giving your life to Christ (that is a man made idea). It is placing your trust in the correct object and there is only one object. Giving your life to Christ is a discipleship area not a receiving eternal life area.

The Bible states if you want Eternal Life (salvation as many call it).
The only way to receive Eternal Life (salvation) as stated by the Bible. Is to believe that Jesus is the promised Messiah from the prophecies of The Tanakh and trust in The Messiah for the free gift of Gods Eternal Life.
The way (to eternal life) is narrow only through the Messiah.

And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life.

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me. But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life.

Then they said to Him, “What shall we do, that we may work the works of God?”
Jesus answered and said to them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent.”

Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me has everlasting life.

Upvote 0

UVSATURATED2020

May 4, 2020
The Kingdom Of Heaven
✟8,991.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The previous posters have said it already. Let me give you my spin on it. I always wondered if what I was doing was serving the Lord in my daily life and if I could be doing better. I once had a house, home, good income, lots of man toys to play with, but I did not have guidance from God just yet. This was when I was in my twenties. Later in life, the Lord allowed me to be tested by Satan, and I was impoverished, homeless, and without family other than the Lord, for he sustained me.

In this contrast he showed me that it was his will that allowed me to live and gave me life. I was too worldly in my younger days. When he taught me the latter things, I rejoiced because I had no need for material wealth at all. He cleansed me of all of that.

Now I know whatever I do, I do so with the intent of loving one another as Jesus loved those who were his disciples. When you practice this, it does not matter the works you do on the side.

Upvote 0

Bob8102

Nov 9, 2019
Miami
✟39,620.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Getting saved as you say, is not about giving your life to Christ (that is a man made idea). It is placing your trust in the correct object and there is only one object. Giving your life to Christ is a discipleship area not a receiving eternal life area.

The Bible states if you want Eternal Life (salvation as many call it).
The only way to receive Eternal Life (salvation) as stated by the Bible. Is to believe that Jesus is the promised Messiah from the prophecies of The Tanakh and trust in The Messiah for the free gift of Gods Eternal Life.
The way (to eternal life) is narrow only through the Messiah.

And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life.

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me. But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life.

Then they said to Him, “What shall we do, that we may work the works of God?”
Jesus answered and said to them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent.”

Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me has everlasting life.

If one doesn't have to give one's life to Christ to be saved, then what did Jesus mean by "count the cost?" What did He mean by "whoever of you does not forsake all that he has cannot be my disciple?"

Reactions: Nova2216
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟583,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But I only plan to begin to carry out those plans if I think I am saved.
Yes, we need to be with Jesus, in order to do what is good.

"without Me you can do nothing," Jesus says in John 15:5.

Plus >

"God resists the proud" (in James 4:6 and in 1 Peter 5:5).

"Good understanding gains favor,
But the way of the unfaithful is hard."
. . . . . . . . . . . . (Proverbs 13:15)

So, invest in prayer so we are submissive to God in His peace. And in His peace we have His personal guiding, all the time, to coordinate us with all He is doing.

"And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful." (Colossians 3:15)

So, I would say it is wise not to plan too much, the way you are now; because God knows how you will become with Him, and how you will see things then! He knows what He wants to do with you; plus, what you will appreciate with Him will develop as you grow and develop.

You know you would not want yourself at age three to make plans for yourself when you are a full-grown mature adult. And often enough people in later age discover what they can be doing, that they did not know about while younger. Even each day, God is able to open our eyes to see what He has for us . . . in sharing with Him . . . better than what we might have imagined earlier, even during prayer of preparation for the day.

So, I think what is a good investment is to know God's word, and develop in how to pray and submit to how God personally rules us in His peace.

And Jesus gives us "rest for your souls," we have in Matthew 11:28-30. There are people who claim to be Christians, but they do not make sure they stay with Jesus in His rest while they do what they insist is God's will. But a calling of Christ includes being with Jesus in His goodness of love and rest for our souls, while He personally guides us to do what He really wants.

And this we will find in sharing with others who so submit to and share with Jesus. Because our Father is about family.

But, instead, there are people who have gotten a hold of impressive causes and big opportunities, but these things have torn them apart, because God was not guiding them and keeping them in the safety of His peace > "the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus," we have in Philippians 4:6-7. Plus, in this peace we have our Creator's creativity to do what is loving, in any situation, turning any trouble into a time for God's all-loving good. God is all-loving; so how He helps us at any time will not be only for our own good. You might read how this worked for Joseph > Genesis 37-50.

So, make sure you are with God, and not only theorizing what is God's will.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟247,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
If one doesn't have to give one's life to Christ to be saved, then what did Jesus mean by "count the cost?" What did He mean by "whoever of you does not forsake all that he has cannot be my disciple?"

Read what you just posted cannot be my disciple.

Being a disciple is not the same as an unbeliever becoming a believer and receiving the one time free gift of God's Eternal Life.

Being a disciple is an action that a believer will have to work on in their life. Some believers become disciples some believers never become a disciple, they have eternal life but not much after that they stay as they are and never grow.

• Agree
Reactions: ldonjohn
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟583,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Com7fy8 wrote:

"So, make sure you are with God, and not only theorizing what is God's will."

Easier said than done.
Jesus says "impossible with men" > Luke 18:27.

It is not only hard, then, but "impossible". And there are no superior people who can get themselves to do better than anyone else. All of us need how only God is able to change us and have us succeed. All start the same, as humans, and only God has made the difference, so we have succeeded if we have.

And, about making sure with God > we have >

"Test all things; hold fast what is good." (1 Thessalonians 5:21)

So, from this I see that God wants us to test every thing, in sharing with Him making us able to test. So, God does not want us to only at certain times try to reach Him through prayer when we think we are stuck. But all the time, be sharing with Him in what we do with Him.

So, now it is wise to get into submitting to God, all the time . . . giving every thing to Him so we do what He has us doing with it. And then, when something much harder comes along, we already know what to do > give it to Him the way we have been trusting our easier things to Him, and simply do what He has us do with Him in His peace.

But there are people who think God wants them to handle things on their own except if they get stuck. But God is not distant and impersonal and theoretical like that. God is not conceited like we are not worth His attention or He is too superior to personally communicate with us and personally guide us all the time.

But God is our Father.

Even earthly fathers - - though they are so more capable than their children - - do not desire to stay at a distance from their own children. But if they love their children, they are not conceited about having more ability than their children; but instead they can feed their example and ways to their children, so their children can grow and develop well.

And of course our Heavenly Father is even better at this, than human fathers can be. And He is interested in blessing us about any concern and need we have. So He desires for us to share every thing with Him >

"casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you." (1 Peter 5:7)

So, if you feel it is "hard" to do what God desires, actually it is "impossible". And our Father desires for us to trust Him with every problem and concern we have. But He is not only for taking care of problems; He desires to share with us in everything, including how He in His love has us relating with one another as His family.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums