australia
✟20,306.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is starting to get to my nerves whenever someone I talk to finds out that I have a dog and how well I treat him - a lot of people will respond with telling me to go have a child. I guess their intention is to tell me that I might as well save my effort and energy to spend on my child since I care so much for my dog.

The problem is I'm not married, I don't intend to have children straight away in the near future and I don't even see why treating my dog well (e.g. spending time with him before / after work, exercising him at parks and going to swim, treating him on his birthday etc) automatically means I should go have children instead. Having children doesn't mean I'm going to treat him less well and it seems like the two are conflicting priorities all the time (it can be difficult but can be managed well too). I don't even know how to respond properly to these well intentioned Christians who seem to assume that I want to have children in the near future - and then some think that my dog is an obstacle because I won't be able to treat my children that well. That is just offensive.

Last edited:

Norbert L

Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
It is starting to get to my nerves whenever someone I talk to finds out that I have a dog and how well I treat him - a lot of people will respond with telling me to go have a child. I guess their intention is to tell me that I might as well save my effort and energy to spend on my child since I care so much for my dog.

The problem is I'm not married, I don't intend to have children straight away in the near future and I don't even see why treating my dog well (e.g. spending time with him before / after work, exercising him at parks and going to swim, treating him on his birthday etc) automatically means I should go have children instead. Having children doesn't mean I'm going to treat him less well and it seems like the two are conflicting priorities all the time (it can be difficult but can be managed well too). I don't even know how to respond properly to these well intentioned Christians who seem to assume that I want to have children in the near future - and then some think that my dog is an obstacle because I won't be able to treat my children that well. That is just offensive.
I think a good part of growing up involves how and when to respond to those other posters here that get on our nerves. The way I see it, pet ownership can be a good hobby to invest time into. Life lessons from animals on the other hand do have mixed results.

It's like a documentary I saw about chimpanzees with Jane Goodall. She supported using observations of their parenting skills as good examples for mankind to follow. That we could learn a lot by chimpanzee behavior. What she observed later after making such a statement was how an elderly female chimp would use her social status to be allowed to nurture infants, take them away from their parent, kill them and then cannibalize them. Animals are not our guiding light in life.

Upvote 0

Faith Alone 1 Cor 15:1-4

Aug 2, 2017
Heaven
✟12,836.00
Country
Zimbabwe
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Next time , when you are near that person just pet your dog for even longer , if that person can't stand when you love to pet your dog then that person must have serious problem with himself , maybe he even does not know Christ himself , just thinks that because he goes to church that he become one :)

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others

Not only unhelpful but rude and none of their business. I love my dog and am so glad to hear others love theirs too. :)

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Trust me, if you do marry, it only gets worse. Thats when the "Do you have kids yet?" and "I can't wait to see a mini version of you two!" and "No baby yet?". Ugh. Its like seriously people, get a life and stop bugging people about their marriage. If you like kids, enjoy yours. Don't be rude and bug people about when they are having kids. I frankly don't even want kids at this point, but I still here about it all the time from other people.

Even after my life got accidentally pregnant and then lost the baby, pretty quickly people were asking about when we were trying again. >.> Which I do thank them for being positive, but still. I'd rather just not talk about the subject for now. However the one group you cannot escape such things is quiverful christians. Hopefully you won't run across any because they seem to look down upon you if you don't have kids instantly when you do marry.

Reactions: Aino and Eryk
Upvote 0

Symph

Jul 6, 2017
NASHVILLE
✟90,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Lol I forget I can't just make jokes in serious threads, bad Symph! Yeah that's annoying, you can love your dog as much as you want just don't make him your life, reserve that spot for Jesus and you good. So keep on loving that dog like this dog loves this strange wire device.
0FBU3b7Tn3.jpg

I don't know if that image works or not, seems to until I post it but whatever, it was supposed to be a dog getting a head massage by one of those wire thingies and it was supposed to be funny but now it's all ruined, just ruined I tell you.

• Haha
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,865.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

Awwww well good for you for treating your precious doggy so well. Next time that happens, just tell that person to look at his precious face and ask 'now how could you not love a face like this? Where's da love?'

0ba9cdf21c8b280d402b2f112a443198--sad-day-dog-humor.jpg

Upvote 0

Poppyseed78

Supporter
Sep 13, 2016
US
✟275,982.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think it's best to not give too much thought to what people have to say. Everyone has an opinion, and it's not worth your time or energy to stress over it. I would try to ignore people's comments and just smile politely. It doesn't matter what anyone thinks of how you live your life.

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
ugh!! Rude people, and dumb--having a pet, esp. if you're single, is a great preparer for having children, or a spouse. They teach you love, patience, caring, responsibility, affection. My husband never had a pet and had no idea how too love, he had a rotten childhood. Our 2 cats and 2 dogs taught him that. Not to mention, how to care for the sick and eventually, the dying and the loss afterwards. Hard, but will happen. The loss of family members and friends did not hurt his heart as much as loosing these animals. (He never had a good relationship with his family and even his friends were more like acquaintances.) Besides, pets are a very good judge of character. If any future girlfriend doesn't like your dog, or the dog her---move on. There is something wrong with them! The only time our dogs really went nuts on people ended up with us finding out later that they were thieves or worse. Most women prefer a man who has a pet, they know he knows how to love and take care of something. If he is a good pet owner, he will make a better husband.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

Ohhh... an open door to sharing the gospel!
Teach them DOG...Depending On God.
You can gather and or glean things from:
Luke 12:22-28
Book of Daniel

Upvote 0