Visit site
✟1,728,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
For those who are unaware, FreeinChrist and I are the Advisors over the Discussion & Debate areas. It works out well since I’m more conservative and she is more liberal. It helps us to keep natural biases from creeping in, and helps us to address the issue when folks from both sides accuse staff of bias.

With that said, we are firmly into the next election cycle. Plus, we have the impeachment inquiry happening. And we are starting to see an increase of inflammatory posts. Let me explain how staff sees this.

If you flame another member, it’s seen as flaming or goading. If you flame a well-known public figure, it’s considered goading because while they aren’t members, they have loyal followers, and it’s seen as an attack on them that they feel needs defending. You can be critical of public figures without inflammatory comments.

So here is how this will go in the coming months.

Please keep debating. We aren’t trying to dictate what cannot be posted or discussed as long as it falls within the current rules. But we will be quicker with warnings and thread closures. In other words, whatever we have to do to keep the level of civility as high as possible we will be doing.

We have a small staff which doesn’t need to be overburdened because some of you cannot seem to be able to debate without getting little digs in. We are a little more lax on Discussion & Debate, but we also don’t want things to spin out of control.

For those who are willing to cooperate, thanks.

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Can I just ask for a little clarification of what constitutes flaming when it comes to public figures please? Would calling someone a liar if they lie frequently still be considered flaming?

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Can I just ask for a little clarification of what constitutes flaming when it comes to public figures please? Would calling someone a liar if they lie frequently still be considered flaming?
Yes, it would be flaming.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
What about calling out a particular instance of lying?
You have to be careful on that one. If someone believes it to be true, then they aren’t lying. It’s better to just address the issue and give a counter-argument.

• Useful
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You have to be careful on that one. If someone believes it to be true, then they aren’t lying. It’s better to just address the issue and give a counter-argument.
What if they blatantly contradict themselves?

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
However, we can demonstrate when a public official lies without calling them a liar correct?
Yes. Like I said earlier, the problem with saying someone lies, or is a liar, is that they may not see what they’ve done as lying.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
What I'm getting is that character, as an issue for discussion, is now out of bounds. I remember when character was a big deal in political choices, especially among religious voters.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
What I'm getting is that character, as an issue for discussion, is now out of bounds. I remember when character was a big deal in political choices, especially among religious voters.
I’m sorry if that’s what you’ve taken from this.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,750,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Calling a person a liar is flaming. Stating that what they said was wrong, false, untrue , or a lie is okay, but provide support that it was wrong.

Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Calling a person a liar is flaming. Stating that what they said was wrong, false, untrue , or a lie is okay, but provide support that it was wrong.

So, just to pluck a random example out of the air, saying some theoretical public figure had made over 12,000 false statements over the last 3 years and providing a link to a fact-check site proving it would still be ok?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.