Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
@DeaconDean I'm not a JW so I wouldn't know :) I think that those who are saved will have eternal life but the people who are lost will probably cease to exist. (although I think it's pretty hard to interpret the rich symbolism that is in the Bible about that, it wasn't clearly written and I think it's something we can speculate about but that we won't really know until we get there) Deuteronomy 29:29

Well, that is why this topic is the "Controversial Theology" area.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion, and I'm trying to respect yours.

But like I said: If it is true, where is the motivation to be saved?

Live like you want to, sooner or later, you "will probably cease to exist".

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

1 John 4:1

Apr 19, 2018
SILVER SPRING
✟26,481.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
@DeaconDean I answered your question by saying that for me existence is interesting, if that doesn't work for other people then you have a point. However, since we are supposed to love God (without needing to be rewarded by him) then maybe being scared of hell would distract from developing that unconditional love. Just some thoughts and I respect your opinion as well.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
@DeaconDean I answered your question by saying that for me existence is interesting, if that doesn't work for other people then you have a point. However, since we are supposed to love God (without needing to be rewarded by him) then maybe being scared of hell would distract from developing that unconditional love. Just some thoughts and I respect your opinion as well.

As appealing as this topic is, I listed what my problems were with it.

And, by quoting your remark, I left the door open to be corrected.

I just do not see it as consistent with Jesus' teachings.

I just do not see it as consistent with Christian teachings that's all.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

Apr 19, 2018
SILVER SPRING
✟26,481.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
As appealing as this topic is, I listed what my problems were with it.

And, by quoting your remark, I left the door open to be corrected.

God Bless

Till all are one.

I'm not sure I understand but maybe I didn't answer your question very well? If you are expecting me to correct you I might not be able to, I might be wrong :) and it doesn't bother me that you don't share the same idea I have, so I feel no need to argue with you I just want to learn and chat with people by discussing opposing ideas. But if I didn't answer your question very well I'll try again:

My problem with the theory of "Annihilationism" is this: Where is the motivation to be saved?

As an former EMT, I know that no matter the pain, a person can endure anything as long as their is a hope from release from pain.

So, where is the motivation to be saved? No matter what, if I knew , "for a fact" this theory was true, why not just live your life as you please?

If I knew that after a century, or a couple of centuries, or even a few millennia, that after my "sin debt" would be "paid in full", and I'd be allowed to "burn up", and escape the "eternal punishment" that is inherent there, just live your life any way you want. After all, sooner or later, you'll burn up into nothing, and escape.

Annihilationism provides an "escape clause".

God Bless

Till all are one.
So I remember I provided my personal opinion that I didn't require this motivation to want to be saved because I liked existing. I also said that God requires you to love him and love is not love if you need to be rewarded ( Luke 17:10 ) so I don't think it's necessary that God provide motivation to be saved, is there anywhere in the Bible where it says God needs to provide us with motivation to be saved?

I'm not sure what you are wanting, maybe an argument that annihilation would motivate all people? I can't provide that argument because I don't think there is one, sorry :) (because I don't think it's true) I can think of problems with the motivation of eternal conscious torment though (masochists would love it :) ) for example Albert Fish (a serial killer who also liked hurting himself) So I don't think you will find something that is motivating to everyone. For instance it really surprises me that you are not at all motivated to stay away from pain if you know it will eventually end (I would assume almost everyone is motivated to stay away from even short-term pain which is why we don't go around pinching ourselves :) )

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Apr 19, 2018
SILVER SPRING
✟26,481.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian

Sorry I didn't read this whole thread so I missed it if you provided examples of Jesus' teachings that annihilation isn't consistent with. If you want my opinion on a verse and how it might be consistent with annihilation feel free to post it. (I can't argue all the verses at once :) that would take too much time )

Upvote 0

Micah888

Apr 20, 2018
CALGARY
✟21,176.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure what you are wanting, maybe an argument that annihilation would motivate all people?... I can think of problems with the motivation of eternal conscious torment
Perhaps. But there is no denying that the prospect of eternal Hell is a terrifying thought for anyone who hears the biblical doctrine presented thoroughly and scripturally.

The fact of the matter is that the most famous verse in the Bible -- John 3:16 connects the sacrifice of Christ on the Cross with the existence of eternal damnation (represented by that word "perish" -- whose proper meaning has already been presented).

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Any preacher worth his salt would have to properly and clearly explain exactly what "should not perish" means (not dance around the issue of the Lake of Fire as many do, thinking they might "offend" someone).

The most loving thing that a preacher can do for a sinner is to present Hell in all its awfulness while presenting Christ and Him crucified in all His perfection, and urge the sinner to repent and believe on the Lord Jesus Christ. That would be a genuine Gospel message.

Upvote 0

Apr 19, 2018
SILVER SPRING
✟26,481.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Perhaps. But there is no denying that the prospect of eternal Hell is a terrifying thought for anyone who hears the biblical doctrine presented thoroughly and scripturally.

The fact of the matter is that the most famous verse in the Bible -- John 3:16 connects the sacrifice of Christ on the Cross with the existence of eternal damnation (represented by that word "perish" -- whose proper meaning has already been presented).

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Any preacher worth his salt would have to properly and clearly explain exactly what "should not perish" means (not dance around the issue of the Lake of Fire as many do, thinking they might "offend" someone).

The most loving thing that a preacher can do for a sinner is to present Hell in all its awfulness while presenting Christ and Him crucified in all His perfection, and urge the sinner to repent and believe on the Lord Jesus Christ. That would be a genuine Gospel message.
I wouldn't come on this thread and argue for annihilation if I was afraid of offending people :) I just read your quote of Thayer's Lexicon that connected the meaning of the word in John 3:16 to eternal torment however Liddell-Scott does not do this: "2. in NT, perish, in theol. sense, John 3:16, al.; οἱ ἀπολλύμενοι, opp. οἱ σῳζόμενοι, 1 Corinthians 1:18." What is the proper theological sense he does not say. There's other lexicons that don't include the meaning of eternal torment: G622 ἀπόλλυμι - Strong's Greek Lexicon As for Vine's argument that the middle voice doesn't mean "extinction but ruin", I'm kind of confused because here's a more restrictive search of the word-form used in John 3:16 (also in the middle voice) and I don't see how a hand could not be "extinct" after it is cut off in matthew 5:30 V-2AMS-3S - Robinson's Morphological Analysis Codes (it's not simply "ruined" it's gone!) I think lexicons sometimes have different theological biases. Thanks for that info though that's really interesting.

Upvote 0

ClementofA

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
Vancouver
✟310,073.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Well, that is why this topic is the "Controversial Theology" area.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion, and I'm trying to respect yours.

But like I said: If it is true, where is the motivation to be saved?

Live like you want to, sooner or later, you "will probably cease to exist".

God Bless

Till all are one.

Who wants to die let alone be dead forever? Even animals & insects fight to survive. I'd rather be tormented for a trillion X a trillion X a trillion milleniums than cease to be for ever and ever and ever.

For the Lord will NOT cast off FOR EVER:

Unique Proof For Christian, Biblical Universalism

Upvote 0

Micah888

Apr 20, 2018
CALGARY
✟21,176.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
...There's other lexicons that don't include the meaning of eternal torment...
It really does not matter, since what we need to do is look at the Scriptures. Of course if you have your mind set on what you wish to believe, rather that what is given for us to believe, none of the Scriptures will convince you.

Jesus said that Hell was created for the devil and his angels, but having the entire Bible before us, we also see that Hell is for the unbelieving, the ungodly, and the wicked.

But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death. (Rev 21:8)

REVELATION 14
9 And the third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark in his forehead, or in his hand,

10 The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb:

11 And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
... As for Vine's argument that the middle voice doesn't mean "extinction but ruin", I'm kind of confused because here's a more restrictive search of the word-form used in John 3:16 (also in the middle voice) and I don't see how a hand could not be "extinct" after it is cut off in matthew 5:30 V-2AMS-3S - Robinson's Morphological Analysis Codes (it's not simply "ruined" it's gone!) I think lexicons sometimes have different theological biases. Thanks for that info though that's really interesting.
A hand or foot that is severed is does not cease to exist.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ClementofA

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
Vancouver
✟310,073.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It really does not matter, since what we need to do is look at the Scriptures. Of course if you have your mind set on what you wish to believe, rather that what is given for us to believe, none of the Scriptures will convince you.

Jesus said that Hell was created for the devil and his angels, but having the entire Bible before us, we also see that Hell is for the unbelieving, the ungodly, and the wicked.

But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death. (Rev 21:8)

REVELATION 14
9 And the third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark in his forehead, or in his hand,

10 The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb:

11 And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.

12 points re forever and ever being finite:

For the Lord will NOT cast off FOR EVER:

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
REVELATION 14
For your information.
In the following twenty two verses αἰών and αἰώνιος are defined/described by other words and phrases as eternal, everlasting etc.: 1 Timothy 1:17, 2 Corinthians 4:17-18, 2 Corinthians 5:1, Hebrews 7:24, 1 Peter 1:23, 1 Timothy 6:16, Galatians 6:8, John 6:58, John 10:20, 1 John 2:17, 1 Peter 5:10, Romans 2:7, Luke 1:33, Revelation 14:11, John 10:28, John 3:15, John 3:16, John 5:24, Ephesians 3:21, Romans 1:20, Romans 16:26

In the NT “aion/aionios” are used to refer to things which are not eternal but are never defined/described as meaning a period of time less than eternal as in the following verses.

[1]Romans 1:20
(20) For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal [ἀΐ́διος/aidios] power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

[2]Romans 16:26
(26) But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting [αἰώνιος/aionios] God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith:
In Romans 1:20 Paul refers to God’s power and Godhead as “aidios.” Scholars agree “aidios” unquestionably means eternal, everlasting, unending etc. In Rom 16:26 Paul refers to God as “aionios,” therefore Paul considers “aidios” and “aionios” to be synonymous.
[3]1 Timothy 1:17.
(17) Now unto the King eternal, [αἰών/aion] immortal, [ ̓́αφθαρτος/aphthartos] invisible, the only wise God, be honour and glory for ever [αἰών/aion] and ever [αἰώνιος/aionios]. Amen.
In this verse “aion” is paired with “immortal.” “Aion” cannot mean “age(s),” a finite period and be immortal at the same time. Thus “aion” by definition here means “eternal.”
[4]2 Corinthians 4:17-18
(17) For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal [αἰώνιος/aionios] weight of glory;
(18) While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal;[πρόσκαιρος/proskairos] but the things which are not seen are eternal [αἰώνιος/aionios]
In this passage “aionios” is contrasted with “for a moment,” vs. 4, and “temporal,” vs. 5. “Age(s)” a finite period, it is not the opposite of “for a moment”/”temporal/temporary.” “Eternal” is. See Robertson below. “Aionios” by definition here means “eternal.”
[5]2 Corinthians 5:1
(1)For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal [αἰώνιος/aionios] in the heavens.
In this verse “aionios house” is contrasted with “earthly house which is destroyed.” If an “aionios” house is at some time destroyed then it is no different than the earthly house. The aionios house is not destroyed, the opposite of “is destroyed.” Thus “aionios” by definition here means “eternal.” If the tabernacle in heaven is destroyed, it is no different than the earthly tabernacle.
[6]Hebrews 7:24 but because Jesus lives forever [αἰών/aion] he has a permanent [ἀπαράβατος/aparabatos] priesthood.
In this verse “aion” is paired with “unchangeable.” If “aion” means “age(s),” Jesus cannot continue “for a finite period” and be “unchangeable” at the same time. Thus “aion” by definition here means “eternal.”
[7]1 Peter 1:23
(23) For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, [ ̓́αφθαρτος/aphthartos] through the living and enduring word of God.
1 Peter 1:25
(25) but the word of the Lord endures forever.[αἰών/aion] " And this is the word that was preached to you.
In verse 23 “word of God” is paired with “imperishable.” In verse 25 the word of God “endures εις τον αιωνα unto eternity. ” Thus by definition “aion” here means “eternity.”
[8]1 Timothy 6:16
(16) Who only hath immortality, [ ̓́αφθαρτος/aphthartos] dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honour and power everlasting[αἰώνιος/aionios]
In this verse “aionios” is paired with “immortality.” If “aionios” is only a finite period, God cannot be “immortal” and only exist for a finite period at the same time. Thus “aionios” by definition means “eternal.”
[9]Galatians 6:8
(8) For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption;[φθορά/fthora] but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting. [αἰώνιος/aionios]
In this verse “aionios” is contrasted with “corruption.” “Fleshly” people reap “corruption” but spiritual people reap “life aionios,” i.e. not “corruption.” “Age(s) is not opposite of “corruption.” Thus “aionios” by definition here means “eternal/everlasting.”
[10]John 6:58
(58) This is the bread that came down from heaven. Your ancestors ate manna and died, but whoever feeds on this bread will live forever.[αἰώνιος/aionios]
In this verse “aionios life” is contrasted with “death.” If “aionios” is only a finite period, a finite period is not opposite “death.” Thus “aionios” by definition here means “eternal.”
[11]John 10:28
(28) I give them eternal [αἰώνιος/aionios] life, and they shall never [αἰών/aion] perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand.
Here “aionios” and “aion” are paired with “[not] snatch them out of my hand.” If “aion/aionios” means “age(s)” that is not the opposite of “[not] snatch them out of my hand’” “Aionios” by definition here means “eternal.”
[12]1 John 2:17
(17) The world and its desires pass away, but whoever does the will of God lives forever. [αἰών/aion]
In this verse “aionios” is contrasted with “pass away” “aionios” cannot mean a finite period, A “finite period” is not opposite of “pass away.” Thus “aionios” by definition here means “eternal.”
[13]1 Peter 5:10
(10) And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal [αιωνιον/aionion] glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, [ολιγον/oligon] will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast.
In this verse “aionios” is contrasted with “little while” “aionios” cannot mean a finite period, A “finite period” is not opposite of “little while.” Thus by definition “aionios” here means “eternal.”
[14]Romans 2:7
(7) To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, [ἀφθαρσία/apftharsia] he will give eternal [αἰώνιος/aionios] life.
In this verse “aion” is paired with “immortality.” If “aion” is only a finite period, believers cannot seek for “a finite period,” and “immortality” at the same time. But they can seek for “eternal life” and “immortality” at the same time. Thus by definition “aion” here means “eternal.”
[15]Luke 1:33
(33) And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; [αιωνας/aionas] and of his kingdom there shall be no end.[τελος/τελος]
In this verse “aionios” is paired with “without end.” “aionios” cannot be paired with “without end” if it means only “ages” a finite period. “Aionios” by definition here means eternal.
[16]Revelation 14:11
(11) And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever:[εις αιωνας αιωνων/eis aionas aionas] and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.
In this verse “aionas aionon torment” is paired with “no rest day or night.” If “aionas, aionon” means “a finite period” at some time they would rest, “Aionas, aionon” by definition here means “forever and forever.”
[17]John 10:28
(28) And I give unto them eternal [αιωνιον] life; and they shall never [εις τον αιωνα] perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
In this verse “aionion” is paired with “[no man can] “pluck them out of my hand.” If “aionion” is only a finite period then at some time they could be plucked out. “Aionion” by definition here means eternal.
[18]John 3:15
(15) That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal [αιωνιον] life.
In this verse “aionion” is paired with “shall not perish.” They could perish in a finite period, “aionion” by definition here means eternal.
[19]John 3:16
(16) For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting [αιωνιον] life.
In this verse “aionion” is paired with “shall not perish.” They could perish in a finite period, “aionion” by definition here means eternal.
[20]John 5:24
(24) Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting [αἰώνιος] life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.
In this verse “aionios” is paired with “shall not come into condemnation” and “passed from life unto death.” “Aionios” does not mean “a finite period,” by definition here it means “eternal.”
[21]Romans 5:21
(21) That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal [αἰώνιος] life by Jesus Christ our Lord.
In this verse “aionios” is contrasted with death. “A finite period” is not opposite death, “eternal life” is. “Aionios” by definition here means ‘eternal.”
[22]Ephesians 3:21
(21) to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever [του αιωνος/tou aionios] and ever! [των αιωνων/ton aionion] Amen.
In this verse “tou aionios ton aionion” is paired with “throughout all generations.” "Age(s)" a finite period cannot refer to "all generations." By definition “tou aionios ton aionion” means forever.

• Agree
Reactions: Micah888
Upvote 0

Micah888

Apr 20, 2018
CALGARY
✟21,176.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
12 points re forever and ever being finite...
According to your method of interpretation black can be made white, and good can be made evil, depending on a whim. You have taken a verse out of context in Lamentations to prove that Hell is not eternal torment in the Lake of Fire.

So let's look at this verse and see in what context it was said. Jeremiah is lamenting for his people and how they have brought God's judgment upon themselves. But then he goes on to say -- by Divine inspiration -- For the Lord will not cast off for ever: But though he cause grief, yet will he have compassion according to the multitude of his mercies....

But what is the context?

Let us [the people of Judah since "Judah is gone into captivity because of affliction, and because of great servitude" Lam 1:3] search and try our ways, and turn again to the LORD. Let us lift up our heart with our hands unto God in the heavens. We have transgressed and have rebelled: thou hast not pardoned. Thou hast covered with anger, and persecuted us: thou hast slain, thou hast not pitied...

We know from the history of Judah that God did bring back a remnant to Jerusalem and Judah. They re-established the city, rebuilt the temple, and restored OT worship. But this has nothing whatsoever to do with eternal Hell.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
According to your method of interpretation black can be made white, and good can be made evil, depending on a whim. You have taken a verse out of context in Lamentations to prove that Hell is not eternal torment in the Lake of Fire.
So let's look at this verse and see in what context it was said. Jeremiah is lamenting for his people and how they have brought God's judgment upon themselves. But then he goes on to say -- by Divine inspiration -- For the Lord will not cast off for ever: But though he cause grief, yet will he have compassion according to the multitude of his mercies....
But what is the context?
Let us [the people of Judah since "Judah is gone into captivity because of affliction, and because of great servitude" Lam 1:3] search and try our ways, and turn again to the LORD. Let us lift up our heart with our hands unto God in the heavens. We have transgressed and have rebelled: thou hast not pardoned. Thou hast covered with anger, and persecuted us: thou hast slain, thou hast not pitied...
We know from the history of Judah that God did bring back a remnant to Jerusalem and Judah. They re-established the city, rebuilt the temple, and restored OT worship. But this has nothing whatsoever to do with eternal Hell.
I have explained this more than once but "context" seems to be a foreign concept to some folks.

Reactions: Micah888
Upvote 0

Viren

Contributor
Dec 9, 2010
Seattle
✟46,388.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is a common ploy for all heterodox religious groups. When scripture as written disproves one of their pet doctrines simply dismiss it as what I call SPAM-Fig, symbolic, poetic, allegory, metaphor, figurative. There is an old maxim for interpreting the Bible, "If the plain sense, makes good sense, it is nonsense to seek any other sense." For example, we know that trees don't rejoice and hills don't skip so those references are probably figurative. But we have no personal knowledge about what happens in the afterlife so we cannot dismiss everything we don't understand as figurative.

I have personal knowledge about death and Hades. They can't be literally thrown.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have personal knowledge about death and Hades. They can't be literally thrown.
I agree but there is a scriptural answer which does not require dismissing it as a figure of speech.
Revelation 6:8 And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth.
We first encounter the angel of death in Exo. 12 and again Ezek 9.
Revelation 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
The angel of death and the demon of hell are thrown in to the lake of fire and their power to kill ended.

Upvote 0

Viren

Contributor
Dec 9, 2010
Seattle
✟46,388.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, Death and Hades are personified in Revelation -- even seen riding on a pale horse -- but that does not nullify the eternal reality and torments of the Lake of Fire.

What is means is that death -- the last enemy -- will not exist any longer on earth (seeing that that will be a New Heavens and a New Earth after the Great White Throne judgment.)

Similarly Hades -- the present abode of the unsaved dead (souls and spirit) -- will be abolished, since there will be no more unsaved dead.

Yes the words "destroy", "destruction" and "perished" are certainly used for the ungodly. But they must be properly interpreted in view of the existence of the Lake of Fire.

Vine's Expository Dictionary of NT Words
Destroy, Destroyer, Destruction, Destructive

A — 1: ἀπόλλυμι
(Strong's #622 — Verb — apollumi — ap-ol'-loo-mee )
a strengthened form of ollumi, signifies "to destroy utterly;" in Middle Voice, "to perish." The idea is not extinction but ruin, loss, not of being, but of well-being. This is clear from its use, as, e.g., of the marring of wine skins, Luke 5:37 ; of lost sheep, i.e., lost to the shepherd, metaphorical of spiritual destitution, Luke 15:4,6 , etc.; the lost son, Luke 15:24 ; of the perishing of food, John 6:27 ; of gold, 1 Peter 1:7 . So of persons, Matthew 2:13 , "destroy;" Matthew 8:25 , "perish;" Matthew 22:7 ;27:20 ; of the loss of well-being in the case of the unsaved hereafter, Matthew 10:28 ; Luke 13:3,5 ; John 3:16 (ver. 15 in some mss.); 10:28; 17:12; Romans 2:12 ; 1 Corinthians 15:18 ; 2 Corinthians 2:15 , "are perishing;" 2 Corinthians 4:3 ; 2 Thessalonians 2:10 ; James 4:12 ; 2 Peter 3:9 . Cp. B, II, No. 1. See DIE , LOSE , MARRED ,PERISH.

Perish
ἀπόλλυμι

"to destroy," signifies, in the Middle Voice, "to perish," and is thus used (a) of things, e.g., Matthew 5:29,30 ; Luke 5:37 ; Acts 27:34 , RV, "perish" (in some texts pipto, "to fall," as AV); Hebrews 1:11 ; 2 Peter 3:6 ; Revelation 18:14 (2nd part), RV, "perished" (in some texts aperchomai, "to depart," as AV); (b) of persons, e.g., Matthew 8:25 ; John 3:15,16 ; 10:28 ; 17:12 , RV, "perished" (AV, "is lost"); Romans 2:12 ; 1 Corinthians 1:18 , lit., "the perishing," where the perfective force of the verb implies the completion of the process of destruction (Moulton, Proleg., p. 114); 1 Corinthians 8:11 ; 15:18 ; 2 Peter 3:9 ; Jude 1:11 . For the meaning of the word see DESTROY , No. 1.

Annihilationism is false doctrine.
Yes, Death and Hades are personified in Revelation -- even seen riding on a pale horse -- but that does not nullify the eternal reality and torments of the Lake of Fire.

What is means is that death -- the last enemy -- will not exist any longer on earth (seeing that that will be a New Heavens and a New Earth after the Great White Throne judgment.)

Similarly Hades -- the present abode of the unsaved dead (souls and spirit) -- will be abolished, since there will be no more unsaved dead.

Yes the words "destroy", "destruction" and "perished" are certainly used for the ungodly. But they must be properly interpreted in view of the existence of the Lake of Fire.

Vine's Expository Dictionary of NT Words
Destroy, Destroyer, Destruction, Destructive

A — 1: ἀπόλλυμι
a strengthened form of ollumi, signifies "to destroy utterly;" in Middle Voice, "to perish." The idea is not extinction but ruin, loss, not of being, but of well-being. This is clear from its use, as, e.g., of the marring of wine skins, Luke 5:37 ; of lost sheep, i.e., lost to the shepherd, metaphorical of spiritual destitution, Luke 15:4,6 , etc.; the lost son, Luke 15:24 ; of the perishing of food, John 6:27 ; of gold, 1 Peter 1:7 . So of persons, Matthew 2:13 , "destroy;" Matthew 8:25 , "perish;" Matthew 22:7 ;27:20 ; of the loss of well-being in the case of the unsaved hereafter, Matthew 10:28 ; Luke 13:3,5 ; John 3:16 (ver. 15 in some mss.); 10:28; 17:12; Romans 2:12 ; 1 Corinthians 15:18 ; 2 Corinthians 2:15 , "are perishing;" 2 Corinthians 4:3 ; 2 Thessalonians 2:10 ; James 4:12 ; 2 Peter 3:9 . Cp. B, II, No. 1. See DIE , LOSE , MARRED ,PERISH.

Perish
ἀπόλλυμι

"to destroy," signifies, in the Middle Voice, "to perish," and is thus used (a) of things, e.g., Matthew 5:29,30 ; Luke 5:37 ; Acts 27:34 , RV, "perish" (in some texts pipto, "to fall," as AV); Hebrews 1:11 ; 2 Peter 3:6 ; Revelation 18:14 (2nd part), RV, "perished" (in some texts aperchomai, "to depart," as AV); (b) of persons, e.g., Matthew 8:25 ; John 3:15,16 ; 10:28 ; 17:12 , RV, "perished" (AV, "is lost"); Romans 2:12 ; 1 Corinthians 1:18 , lit., "the perishing," where the perfective force of the verb implies the completion of the process of destruction (Moulton, Proleg., p. 114); 1 Corinthians 8:11 ; 15:18 ; 2 Peter 3:9 ; Jude 1:11 . For the meaning of the word see DESTROY , No. 1.

Annihilationism is false doctrine.

Apollumi is one greek word used for destroy. There is also another Greek word along with numerous Hebrew words in the Old Testament. Appollumi is used to mean kill in many instances. To kill is to render something lifeless or inert. The opposite of that would be eternal life which means a full flowing of life.

In Genesis it is understood that humans were created from dust and to dust they will return. This lines up with Issaih 33 which states,

"You conceive chaff,
you give birth to straw;
your breath is a fire that consumes you.
12 The peoples will be burned to ashes"

Consume means to use up.

I don't think one highly symbolic verse in Revelation should upend some of the most foundational teachings in the Old Testament. Especially, when it can easily be interpreted another way.

Upvote 0

Micah888

Apr 20, 2018
CALGARY
✟21,176.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A
I don't think one highly symbolic verse in Revelation should upend some of the foundational teachings in the old testament.
One verse was used merely to illustrate the fundamental doctrine. There is a whole body of verses which can be put together to confirm that the Bible teaches eternal damnation for the unsaved in the Lake of Fire.

Pointing to humans returning to dust is only a half-truth. Souls and spirits are immaterial and imperishable (not *immortal* which only applies to bodies). But it would seem that you wish to ignore the soul and spirit and their eternal destinies.

As to apollumi, it has been explained very clearly in the concordances and lexicons, and it means much more than annihilation --
  1. metaph. to devote or give over to eternal misery in hell

Upvote 0

Apr 19, 2018
SILVER SPRING
✟26,481.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian

I said: There's other lexicons that don't connect the word perish to enternal torment

You said in response:

REVELATION 14

1 So something is "the fact of the matter" and then "doesn't really matter?"
2 We are talking about scripture, the meaning of the word in John 3:16 is part of the meaning of the verse.
3 Do you think the views opposing yours are just people that have their mind set on things? If so, why are you arguing with us?
4 Saying a hand that is cut off does not "perish" because it still exists is like saying people don't die because the decay of their bodies doesn't violate the law of conservation of energy.
5 Here's my view on Rev 14, note the beast (if we go by Daniel is symbol for an empire or a worldly system of some sort it can't be literally tormented, as death (an process) and hades (a place in greek mythology) can't be literally burned. Also hades in the bible just means the grave (but it is what is usually translated as hell) take a look at when the new testament quotes the old testament:
ESV
Act 2:27 For you will not abandon my soul to Hades, or let your Holy One see corruption.
Psa 16:10 For you will not abandon my soul to Sheol, or let your holy one see corruption.

Also note the Jews consider Revelation to be Jewish apocalyptic literature (and they don't believe in hell) "but the apocalypse has become especially important to Jewish students since it has been discovered by Vischer (see bibliography) that the main apocalypse actually belongs to Jewish apocalyptic literature." REVELATION (BOOK OF) - JewishEncyclopedia.com
. . .

Revelation 14
9 Then a third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, “If anyone worships the beast and his image, and receives his mark on his forehead or on his hand, 10 he himself shall also drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out full strength into the cup of His indignation. He shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb. 11 And the smoke of their torment ascends forever and ever; and they have no rest day or night, who worship the beast and his image, and whoever receives the mark of his name.”

While their torment is continual here, it does not specify how long a duration it is. The smoke rises forever, but that is metaphorical language also used elsewhere. See for example the parallel description in Revelation 18:18 and Revelation 19:3, the smoke of Babylon is described in both places to be rising forever even though Babylon is ultimately destroyed, and doesn't burn forever. The smoke could symbolize a hyperbole that the destruction was so great that the smoke rises forever or that it symbolizes an eternal remembrance of the destruction by the smoke being an eternal memorial. The lake of fire (which this may refer to) along with Gehenna is probably a real place. (Gehenna is the place outside of Jerusalem where they burned their trash)
And the lake of fire is also probably a real place on earth near the dead sea. (see: Where Is the Lake of Fire? ) With these three concepts, none on their own characterize eternal torment.

In fact Revelation 14 is a quote from Isaiah 34:9-10 about the judgement of Edom:

Isaiah 34
9Its streams shall be turned into pitch,
And its dust into brimstone;
Its land shall become burning pitch.
10 It shall not be quenched night or day;
Its smoke shall ascend forever.
From generation to generation it shall lie waste;
No one shall pass through it forever and ever.

And this verse relates this future Judgement of Edom to the overthrow of sodom and Gomorah:

Jeremiah 49
17 “Edom also shall be an astonishment;
Everyone who goes by it will be astonished
And will hiss at all its plagues.
18 As in the overthrow of Sodom and Gomorrah
And their neighbors,” says the Lord,
“No one shall remain there,
Nor shall a son of man dwell in it.

Deuteronomy 29
23 ‘The whole land is brimstone, salt, and burning; it is not sown, nor does it bear, nor does any grass grow there, like the overthrow of Sodom and Gomorrah, Admah, and Zeboiim, which the Lord overthrew in His anger and His wrath.’

Genesis 19
24 Then the Lord rained brimstone and fire on Sodom and Gomorrah, from the Lord out of the heavens. 25 So He overthrew those cities, all the plain, all the inhabitants of the cities, and what grew on the ground.

The reason I point this out, is that Sodom and Gomorah is said to be destroyed by eternal fire:

Jude 1
7 as Sodom and Gomorrah, and the cities around them in a similar manner to these, having given themselves over to sexual immorality and gone after strange flesh, are set forth as an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.

One way to resolve this problem of "why aren't the fires of Sodom still burning?" is to say that the fire is not actually eternal, but infact a metaphor for eternal consumption. Sodom and Gomorah were destroyed, and that destruction was eternal (the people never came back or were revived), it was consumed, and that consumption wasn't reversed (eternal consumption). That is why I think it is said to be destroyed by eternal metaphorical fire or... eternal consumption.

There are other examples of hyperbolic or metaphorical language in scripture such as this. When the word "hated" is used in the old testament it often means "loved less."

Also This passage from Daniel needs also to be considered:

NKJV
2 And many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake,
Some to everlasting life,
Some to shame and everlasting contempt.<H01860>
3 Those who are wise shall shine
Like the brightness of the firmament,
And those who turn many to righteousness
Like the stars forever and ever.

So yet anouther punishment is mentioned, that of contempt. The only other time this word is used is in this passage.

KJV
Isa 66:24
And they shall go forth, and look upon the carcases of the men that have transgressed against me: for their worm shall not die, neither shall their fire be quenched; and they shall be an abhorring H1860 unto all flesh.

Now here we have two types of consuming forces mentioned. "Fire" and "worm." One should notice that both of these things together are not possible: worms cannot survive in fire. When we have incompatible statements we can resolve the statements by taking them metaphorically and see what is common between. The thing in common seems to be consumption, both worm and fire consume and destroy. The shame can be read as eternally shamed or that their memory is looked on with contempt, so this can coincide with their consumption. Although I find it quite interesting that the Bible would even bother mentioning shame and not mention eternal torment, since the latter is of so much more import than the former. I see a tension there that can be resolved by a metaphorical reading.

Upvote 0

Apr 19, 2018
SILVER SPRING
✟26,481.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I agree but there is a scriptural answer which does not require dismissing it as a figure of speech.
Revelation 6:8 And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth.
We first encounter the angel of death in Exo. 12 and again Ezek 9.
Revelation 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
The angel of death and the demon of hell are thrown in to the lake of fire and their power to kill ended.

I just read this. I'm confused by why you think these things are angels. For instance this rider is called "the word of God" and he has a sword coming out of his month (sword of the spirit which is the word of God, also the word of God is is sharp than a double edged sword etc . . .) and birds eat their flesh which (the birds) might be a symbol from the parable of the sower of those who hear the gospel without following it, why isn't this just a symbol for the word of God? Why aren't the other riders symbols for what they are called?

11And I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse, and He who sat on it is called Faithful and True, and in righteousness He judges and wages war. 12His eyes are a flame of fire, and on His head are many diadems; and He has a name written on Him which no one knows except Himself. 13He isclothed with a robe dipped in blood, and His name is called The Word of God. 14And the armies which are in heaven, clothed in fine linen, white and clean, were following Him on white horses. 15From His mouth comes a sharp sword, so that with it He may strike down the nations, and He will rule them with a rod of iron; and He treads the wine press of the fierce wrath of God, the Almighty. 16And on His robe and on His thigh He has a name written, “KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS.”

17Then I saw an angel standing in the sun, and he cried out with a loud voice, saying to all the birds which fly in midheaven, “Come, assemble for the great supper of God, 18so that you may eat the flesh of kings and the flesh of commanders and the flesh of mighty men and the flesh of horses and of those who sit on them and the flesh of all men, both free men and slaves, and small and great.”

19And I saw the beast and the kings of the earth and their armies assembled to make war against Him who sat on the horse and against His army.

20And the beast was seized, and with him the false prophet who performed the signs in his presence, by which he deceived those who had received the mark of the beast and those who worshiped his image; these two were thrown alive into the lake of fire which burns with brimstone.21And the rest were killed with the sword which came from the mouth of Him who sat on the horse, and all the birds were filled with their flesh.

Last edited:
Upvote 0