Washington
✟686,477.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Is there something immoral about capturing animals and putting them in the zoo?

It has never truly bothered me. I have enjoyed seeing animals in the zoo. I even enjoy going to the Sea World. (I haven't been to those places in a while, for my disability prevents me). And I did not think about it until recently. I keep hearing from animal rights activist about how wrong that is. So, I was just wondering what your thoughts about it are.

I am thinking that maybe it is wrong. What are your thoughts?

mlepfitjw

May you be blessed!
Jun 23, 2020
Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Heck no! Introverted, why wouldn't people desire to see God's creations in a fair and decently keep facility? As long as the animals are treating well there wouldn't be nothing wrong with that it seems. God created us to be able to have dominion over all birds, reptiles, mammals, even sea creatures.

My mom got to go to seaworld and swim with the dolphins with my niece before the covid stuff happened.

Sorry to hear about your disability, with this covid stuff no one probably been to the zoo in awhile, Introverted.

What are your thoughts on what you see may be wrong with zoos?

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,477.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Heck no! Introverted, why wouldn't people desire to see God's creations in a fair and decently keep facility? As long as the animals are treating well there wouldn't be nothing wrong with that it seems. God created us to be able to have dominion over all birds, reptiles, mammals, even sea creatures.

My mom got to go to seaworld and swim with the dolphins with my niece before the covid stuff happened.

Sorry to hear about your disability, with this covid stuff no one probably been to the zoo in awhile, Introverted.

To be perfectly honest, I would still enjoy seeing animals in the zoo. But animal rights would say they should run wild and free. I don't know, are they right?

So, I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, they are well-fed and taken care of; they don't have to haunt for food and sometimes starve if they don't catch anything. On the other hand, they are locked up and don't have a large piece of land to roam. So, I don't know. I have mixed feelings.

• Friendly
Reactions: mlepfitjw
Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

It has never truly bothered me. I have enjoyed seeing animals in the zoo. I even enjoy going to the Sea World. (I haven't been to those places in a while, for my disability prevents me). And I did not think about it until recently. I keep hearing from animal rights activist about how wrong that is. So, I was just wondering what your thoughts about it are.

No there is nothing immoral about having animals in a zoo. What can be immoral is how conditions are maintained within a zoo. For some animals the only way they will survive into the future is for them to exist in a zoo. The zoos of the past and those zoos of the present that still maintain the poor standards of the past where animals are kept in cages and not allowed to roam free within a limited range are IMO cruel and therefore immoral.

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,477.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
No there is nothing immoral about having animals in a zoo. What can be immoral is how conditions are maintained within a zoo. For some animals the only way they will survive into the future is for them to exist in a zoo. The zoos of the past and those zoos of the present that still maintain the poor standards of the past where animals are kept in cages and not allowed to roam free within a limited range are IMO cruel and therefore immoral.

That is actually true. I did not even think about that. They keep the pandas in sanctuaries to keep them from going extinct, which they are becoming. So that is a good point.

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,477.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

That is so neat that your mom got to swim with the dolphins.

Upvote 0

mlepfitjw

May you be blessed!
Jun 23, 2020
Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

You have a good point there grasping, you are right bout how the conditions may be kept, that crossed my mind when commenting. It reminds me of a nursing home and the best type of care is needed for each person, and as well as properly maintained. Abuse is a serious matter, also neglect, I believe.

Do you have a favorite type of reptile, bird, mammal, and sea animal? When was the last time you went to the zoo?

That is so neat that your mom got to swim with the dolphins.

You know, it was shocking to find out. She enjoyed going with my niece, and grand niece. When was the last time you went to the zoo, Introverted? Do you have favorite type of reptile, bird, mammal and sea animl?

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others

In an ideal world, we wouldn't need zoos, but we are unfortunately living in a world in which humans regularly hunt and kill animals that are going extinct even when it's illegal. And they do so for profit and not generally because people are hungry and need food. They just want the skins or the tails or the teeth or the horns to sell on the black market.

Also, humans have encroached on the homes of all of these animals, tearing down/burning the forests and rain forests, poisoning the land and waters, making millions of animals, birds, and other living creatures homeless due to human destruction.

If it weren't for zoos and national preserves in which land is protected in many countries, many of these animals would already be extinct. Reputable zoos are heavily involved in conservation efforts, working with various countries to protect the animals in the wild and the lands in which they live. Many of the animals that are already in the zoos were born in captivity, not captured and imprisoned there, and these animals act as ambassadors in order to educate the people who get to know and love them about the issues impacting their wild bretheren.

Zoos also have many programs in which they rescue animals that are sick or have lost their parents and not old enough to take care of themselves and get them to a point where they can be released back into the wild once again into their native habitats.

More and more zoos also try to provide their animals with habitats that are as much like their natural environments and provide variety in their diet and enrichment that helps the animals learn the skills they would be learning in the wild.

There are many programs that zoo are involved in that help animals and help to expand the populations of endangered species.

Zoos definitely aren't just places where humans go to look at animals. There is much much more going on.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You have a good point there grasping, you are right bout how the conditions may be kept, that crossed my mind when commenting. It reminds me of a nursing home and the best type of care is needed for each person, and as well as properly maintained. Abuse is a serious matter, also neglect, I believe.

Do you have a favorite type of reptile, bird, mammal, and sea animal? When was the last time you went to the zoo?

I would say it has been at least two decades since I went to a zoo. I believe the last one was the St. Louis Zoo. A very well kept and animal friendly one as I recall. Favorites- Tortoise, Swallow, Prairie Dog , Seal- sea mammal, Salmon- fish( not for eating ) and Frog- Amphibian -one type which you did not mention.

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,477.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
You know, it was shocking to find out. She enjoyed going with my niece, and grand niece. When was the last time you went to the zoo, Introverted? Do you have favorite type of reptile, bird, mammal and sea animl?

I think lions are my favorite. I would never try owning a lion or anything for I respect the fact that they can be deadly. But I find them interesting. I watch documentaries on lions all the time.

The last zoo I went to was in 1993. The San Diego Zoo.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,477.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
In an ideal world, we wouldn't need zoos, but we are unfortunately living in a world in which humans regularly hunt and kill animals that are going extinct even when it's illegal. And they do so for profit and not generally because people are hungry and need food. They just want the skins or the tails or the teeth or the horns to sell on the black market.

Also, humans have encroached on the homes of all of these animals, tearing down/burning the forests and rain forests, poisoning the land and waters, making millions of animals, birds, and other living creatures homeless due to human destruction.

If it weren't for zoos and national preserves in which land is protected in many countries, many of these animals would already be extinct. Reputable zoos are heavily involved in conservation efforts, working with various countries to protect the animals in the wild and the lands in which they live. Many of the animals that are already in the zoos were born in captivity, not captured and imprisoned there, and these animals act as ambassadors in order to educate the people who get to know and love them about the issues impacting their wild bretheren.

Zoos also have many programs in which they rescue animals that are sick or have lost their parents and not old enough to take care of themselves and get them to a point where they can be released back into the wild once again into their native habitats.

More and more zoos also try to provide their animals with habitats that are as much like their natural environments and provide variety in their diet and enrichment that helps the animals learn the skills they would be learning in the wild.

There are many programs that zoo are involved in that help animals and help to expand the populations of endangered species.

Zoos definitely aren't just places where humans go to look at animals. There is much much more going on.

Thank you very much. That was very informative. :)

I am happy to hear that they are doing what they can to keep the species alive.

• Friendly
Reactions: bekkilyn
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Thank you very much. That was very informative. :)

I am happy to hear that they are doing what they can to keep the species alive.

You might be interested in a documentary series that National Geographic has been doing called "Secrets of the Zoo".

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟837,587.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I was just talking to a good friend about this. I'm sure there are benefits that zoos offer animals, but I'm not a fan. I don't like putting dogs in a pen or birds in a cage. I simply extend that sentiment to all animals. Let them roam and fly in their natural habitat.

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,477.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
You might be interested in a documentary series that National Geographic has been doing called "Secrets of the Zoo".

I'll look into that. Thank you.

Upvote 0

mlepfitjw

May you be blessed!
Jun 23, 2020
Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Bekkylin, thank you for sharing this information it is very useful! Do you have a favorite type of mammal, amphibian, fish, reptile? Notice you were part of giraffe watch 2017, what was that like? Did you go out in the Afircan safari?

I would say it has been at least two decades since I went to a zoo. I believe the last one was the St. Louis Zoo. A very well kept and animal friendly one as I recall. Favorites- Tortoise, Swallow, Prairie Dog , Seal- sea mammal, Salmon- fish( not for eating ) and Frog- Amphibian -one type which you did not mention.

It has been 20 years nearly since you been to a zoo. Wow that is a very long time ago. Praire dogs are funny creatures, tortoise are very awesome creatures, especially if you have friendly pet owned one. Seals are so cute! Salmons? Do you ever like to go fishing any for them and throw them back in? You are right I forgot about the amphibian.

I think lions are my favorite. I would never try owning a lion or anything for I respect the fact that they can be deadly. But I find them interesting. I watch documentaries on lions all the time.

The last zoo I went to was in 1993. The San Diego Zoo.

You made me laugh my friend, when you say I would never try owning a lion or anything. They are very beautiful creatures. 1993, that seems to be about 27 years ago. Do you have any other favorite animals too? Fish, reptile, or amphian?

I was just talking to a good friend about this. I'm sure there are benefits that zoos offer animals, but I'm not a fan. I don't like putting dogs in a pen or birds in a cage. I simply extend that sentiment to all animals. Let them roam and fly in their natural habitat.

Can respect that public hermit, Do you have a favorite type of reptile, bird, mammal, and sea animal? When was the last time you went to the zoo?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,161,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think for some animals with higher intelligence I would say yes. Although animals that are more prey.. well if you have ever watched a nature documentary without quick cuts.. a life in a zoo might be boring but it is more merciful.. lol.

Nature is pretty brutal.. and for the most part it's not simple snap of the neck..

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Bekkylin, thank you for sharing this information it is very useful! Do you have a favorite type of mammal, amphibian, fish, reptile? Notice you were part of giraffe watch 2017, what was that like? Did you go out in the Afircan safari?

Well I love giraffes and so many would believe that they are my favorite, but I love so many animal species and birds and reptiles and...well the list goes on!

Giraffe Watch was actually about a pregnant giraffe named April at Animal Adventure Park and they had set up a live giraffe cam so that they could observe her after closing hours, but the whole world started watching too! She was supposed to have the baby at any moment, but it wasn't until 2 to 3 months later that she actually had little Tajiri. :)

I'm a local zoo volunteer in my state and before COVID restrictions, I was at the zoo for a 6 hour shift at least once a week working with wildlife rehabilitation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,477.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Here is an example of a conservation project that Cheyenne Mountain Zoo in Colorado has been involved in in Ugunda.

Thank you for sharing that @bekkilyn. I will look at that.

Upvote 0