USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't know, but Christians often say animals don't have souls. But what do they mean by this and what is the soul? Surely we all agree that animals have a consciousness. So what do we mean by soul?
Gordon Clark (taught philosophy at Butler University in Indianapolis) said: In one way this is reminiscent of Genesis 2:7. As God breathed into Adam’s nostrils the breath or spirit of life, so too God sent forth his spirit into the animals.

Some people are afraid to say that animals have souls. They not only have souls, they are souls. Some people are afraid to say that animals have spirit. But Genesis 6:17 and 7:15, and Psalm 104:29, as well as Ecclesiastes 3:21 ascribe spirit to animals. Animals are souls. They are not just clay.

Upvote 0

DavidPT

Sep 26, 2016
Texas
✟196,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Gordon Clark (taught philosophy at Butler University in Indianapolis) said: In one way this is reminiscent of Genesis 2:7. As God breathed into Adam’s nostrils the breath or spirit of life, so too God sent forth his spirit into the animals.

Some people are afraid to say that animals have souls. They not only have souls, they are souls. Some people are afraid to say that animals have spirit. But Genesis 6:17 and 7:15, and Psalm 104:29, as well as Ecclesiastes 3:21 ascribe spirit to animals. Animals are souls. They are not just clay.

If animals have souls, yet won't be bodily resurrected like humans will be, thus have no judgment to face in the afterlife regardless what they did or did not do during their lives, such as some of them have murdered humans on occasion, doesn't this at least prove souls can die though some ppl claim souls are immortal and can't die?

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If animals have souls, yet won't be bodily resurrected like humans will be, thus have no judgment to face in the afterlife regardless what they did or did not do during their lives, such as some of them have murdered humans on occasion,doesn't this at least prove souls can die though some ppl claim souls are immortal and can't die?
How could anyone know since scripture does not mention it? Paul suggests a resurrection when they will be placed in the glorious liberty of the children of God.

“Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God.” Romans 8:21 (KJV 1900)

Reactions: zoidar
Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟121,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
Genesis 1:2 to 1:21, God did not create anything again until the 5th day when He created soul life in “great whales and every living creature (chay nephesh) that moveth”…

The word living is the Hebrew word “chay” meaning life or living. And the word translated creature is the Hebrew word “nephesh” meaning soul………….God tells us in Leviticus what/where the soul is.

Lev 17:11a -For the life of the flesh is in the blood…

The word life in this verse is the same word for soul (nephesh)

Blood is what mobilizes (gives life) to humans and animals and this soul life was created by God in Genesis 1:21…and it did not exist before that. …..soul life, which is breath life was created in animals first.

Animals have soul life and they have instinct, but they cannot reason.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not really sure but I'm leaning towards the idea that animals might be just "biological robots" that don't have a soul and don't even have consciousness. They just behave according to their instincts.

Hi BB1611,

Not sure that the term 'biological robots' would be correctly defining the creation of the animals upon the earth, but they are born to live and die and provide for mankind in many ways. Beasts of labor and food. I do agree with what I believe your premise is saying. Animals have no eternal soul and live and die upon the earth and that is the sum of their life. There is no 'Jesus' for animals. Just as there is no 'Jesus' for life that some suppose may be on other planets across the universe. We live upon the earth and according to the Genesis account of creation, life was created only upon the earth. All the myriad stars and other planetary bodies flung far and wide across the universe are merely the proclamation of God's glory and power to our eyes.

God bless,
Ted

• Agree
Reactions: DavidPT
Upvote 0

DavidPT

Sep 26, 2016
Texas
✟196,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Animals have soul life and they have instinct, but they cannot reason.

I'm not certain how you are determining animals can't reason? They for sure can't reason to the degree that man can, yet they can still reason to some degree, the same way, though man can't reason to the degree God can, man can still reason, though.

• Agree
Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟121,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
I'm not certain how you are determining animals can't reason? They for sure can't reason to the degree that man can, yet they can still reason to some degree, the same way, though man can't reason to the degree God can, man can still reason, though.

For instance, if a dog who is afraid of noises hears a gunshot it may run and hide due to instinct. If a person hears a gunshot they may hit the floor until they determine by reason that it is not being fired at them.... in which case curiosity many times will have the human looking for the point of origin….while the dog still hides.

On the same note a dog who is afraid of loud noised generally cannot distinguish between gunshot thunder and fireworks. A human can make that distinction and by way of reason. If it’s gun fire they will take the necessary precautions…if it’s thunder they may get an umbrella ….and if it’s fireworks they may look to the sky and enjoy it.

Cats can do whatever they want…

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't know, but Christians often say animals don't have souls. But what do they mean by this and what is the soul? Surely we all agree that animals have a consciousness. So what do we mean by soul?

Well, the Scriptures say that all life has a soul (Job 12:10) and that animals will enter God’s Kingdom (Romans 8:19-22) (Pay close attention to verse 21).

"In whose hand is the soul of every living thing, and the breath of all mankind." (Job 12:10) (KJV).

Romans 8:19-22 says,

19 "For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.
20 For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope,
21 Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God.
22 For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now."

It's only logical that if animals have a soul, they have a spirit.

In fact, this is what Scripture says:

"Who knoweth the spirit of man that goeth upward, and the spirit of the beast that goeth downward to the earth?" (Ecclesiastes 3:21).

So the animals in this world are not to be treated as if they are nothing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DavidPT

Sep 26, 2016
Texas
✟196,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For instance, if a dog who is afraid of noises hears a gunshot it may run and hide due to instinct. If a person hears a gunshot they may hit the floor until they determine by reason that it is not being fired at them.... in which case curiosity many times will have the human looking for the point of origin….while the dog still hides.

On the same note a dog who is afraid of loud noised generally cannot distinguish between gunshot thunder and fireworks. A human can make that distinction and by way of reason. If it’s gun fire they will take the necessary precautions…if it’s thunder they may get an umbrella ….and if it’s fireworks they may look to the sky and enjoy it.

Cats can do whatever they want…

I can see your point now. Thanks for clarifying.

Reactions: sandman
Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Every living thing has a soul. Without it, it wouldn't be alive. The human soul is different, because we are made in the image of God. I don't pretend to know all the specifics, but this is the teaching of the Catholic Church.

Upvote 0

DavidPT

Sep 26, 2016
Texas
✟196,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, the Scriptures say that all life has a soul (Job 12:10) and that animals will enter God’s Kingdom (Romans 8:19-22) (Pay close attention to verse 21).

"In whose hand is the soul of every living thing, and the breath of all mankind." (Job 12:10) (KJV).

19 "For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.
20 For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope,
21 Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God.
22 For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now."

"Who knoweth the spirit of man that goeth upward, and the spirit of the beast that goeth downward to the earth?" (Ecclesiastes 3:21).

Since a lot of ppl are pet lovers and have lost pets due to them having died, aren't most applying that to pets rather than all animals, such as cows where one might have made a meal or two out of when one cooked up some hamburgers? I guess not in India, though. Cows are apparently sacred to them.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Since a lot of ppl are pet lovers and have lost pets due to them having died, aren't most applying that to pets rather than all animals, such as cows where one might have made a meal or two out of when one cooked up some hamburgers? I guess not in India, though. Cows are apparently sacred to them.

We can eat cats or any animal meat (if we have to) as long as we give thanks to God (1 Timothy 4:5). That is not the same as being loving with the animal kingdom and in appreciating God’s creation. We eat because we have to do so in order to live. Also, the eating of even unclean animals in the NT is representative of the inclusion of the Gentiles into God’s New Covenant program. But make no mistake, God even shows that he loves his animal kingdom in that he feeds them.

“Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them.” (Matthew 6:26).

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟791,381.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
If animals have souls, yet won't be bodily resurrected like humans will be, thus have no judgment to face in the afterlife regardless what they did or did not do during their lives, such as some of them have murdered humans on occasion, doesn't this at least prove souls can die though some ppl claim souls are immortal and can't die?
Are you saying 'souls' is the same for animals as for those made in the image of God?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟121,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution

Upvote 0

DavidPT

Sep 26, 2016
Texas
✟196,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are you saying 'souls' is the same for animals as for those made in the image of God?

That's what someone else seem to be suggesting, that both man and animals have souls. But I don't think they were suggesting those souls were made in the image of God, or if they were suggesting that, I guess that went over my head. When I asked what I did, that was assuming animals also have souls and that I wasn't factoring in that they too would be in the image of God since that never crossed my mind.

So, no I'm not saying their souls would also be made in the image of God. I'm assuming your point might be this, souls can still be immortal then if they are made in the image of God and that this would not apply to souls not made in the image of God. IOW, the souls of animals can die, the souls of men can't. That's assuming you believe in eternal conscious torment concerning the lost, where I myself don't but used to. Thus in my view the soul can die, further proved by the fact souls of animals die, assuming they have souls.

Upvote 0

CatsRule2020

Site Supporter
Sep 16, 2020
Denver
✟68,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
In Australia there is a zoo that has tiger handlers walking around amongst the zoo visitors with the tiger each handler was assigned at the tiger's birth. It is imperative that the first voice the baby tiger hears be that of it's handler. It is given all the love and discipline it can handle while growing up. This is how the the tiger is able to walk around the zoo with it's handler...off leash, amongst all the visitors. By being exposed to love at the start, it overcomes it's natural ferocious killer instincts.. Therefore, animals would have to possess a soul/spirit in order to even respond to and change because of love.

Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟886,048.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm not really sure but I'm leaning towards the idea that animals might be just "biological robots" that don't have a soul and don't even have consciousness. They just behave according to their instincts.

This sounds like a very low view of animals. I think you should take a look at some movies on gorillas and monkeys.

A WARNING though. This video can be a bit challenging to our faith. So don't see it if you aren't grounded in Jesus. Christ love!

Last edited:
Upvote 0