Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm currently reading through the bible and I'm confused about all of the animal sacrifices and burnt offerings in Leviticus. I haven't finished reading the bible yet so I was wondering what you guys can tell me about why that stopped. Is there any part of the bible that explains why many of the old testament commands are not followed anymore?

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm currently reading through the bible and I'm confused about all of the animal sacrifices and burnt offerings in Leviticus. I haven't finished reading the bible yet so I was wondering what you guys can tell me about why that stopped. Is there any part of the bible that explains why many of the old testament commands are not followed anymore?
There is no Temple.

Reactions: Hieronymus
Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Because the apostle Paul said so. Nobody really knows why he said so despite the fact that Jesus clearly mentions that nothing from the old laws will change until Heaven and Earth pass.
I think the context around which the apostle speaks is skewed. This same apostle makes a sacrifice (Acts 21:26) and I don't accept for a second that Paul only did this to appease people out of fear. I think when we read Paul only in English and from a perspective where we tend to spiritualize anything we can't answer otherwise... then we come away with one version of Paul. But when we read him through more Hebraic eyes... and begin to recognize certain Hebraic idioms and other linguistic nuances that he uses not to mention the context affecting rules of Hillel that he uses over 30 times in his writings... then we see another version of Paul. One who clearly states that grace can't exist without Law.

• Agree
Reactions: Soyeong
Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
You can get a lot of insight on it from the NT book of Hebrews. The animal sacrifices were a placekeeper, a foreshadow of the True sacrifice that would come and once and for all remove sin and slavery to sin consciousness. When the perfect came, there was no need to continue with the sign, and indeed, to do so would be to profane the True. The sign was a mere shadow, the reality is Christ.

The Jews have a problem, though. Not only were their sacrifices taken away, the temple itself was, and also the genealogical records by which they could prove their messiah's legitimacy.

Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why did it stop? Because Christ fulfilled the reason for the sacrifices. He became the ultimate, perfect sacrifice to atone for our sins. As paul1149 stated, Hebrews offers excellent insight into this.

As a side note, kudos to you for sticking with Leviticus. It can be a very challenging thing to get through. Stay with it and ask lots of questions. That book is very fundamental to Christian faith.

Reactions: Sarah G
Upvote 0

TheFriendlyAtheist

Oct 19, 2017
Midwest
✟21,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Why did it stop? Because Christ fulfilled the reason for the sacrifices. He became the ultimate, perfect sacrifice to atone for our sins. As paul1149 stated, Hebrews offers excellent insight into this.

As a side note, kudos to you for sticking with Leviticus. It can be a very challenging thing to get through. Stay with it and ask lots of questions. That book is very fundamental to Christian faith.

Ok, I can understand that. I'm glad that's the case because as an animal lover I'm not too sure how I'd react to that practice if it was still going on. Lol.

Upvote 0

TheFriendlyAtheist

Oct 19, 2017
Midwest
✟21,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
And yeah Leviticus was a pretty dense chapter, but I'll keep reading. Because even if I don't become a Christian it will help me understand the Christians I know and the ones I'll meet later. I plan on doing this with the Quran as well but I'm going to take it one at a time.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

If you've read through the law, you'll find that all the animal sacrifices were able to provide was a good life on the earth. You'll see that there is a portion of the law where God lays out the consequences of both obedience and disobedience. Notice that all the things that God promises for obedience are merely earthly things. That they would be healthy and well and be provided for in food, clothing, shelter and protection. The sacrifices of the old covenant were not sufficient for eternal life, which is what Jesus' sacrifice allowed.

However, it was a present reality of a future eventuality. It's all about blood with God. It required blood for any Hebrew to be saved from the final death plague of Egypt. It required blood for God to overlook their sin temporarily and save them from the struggles and torments of this life. It required blood for the ultimate salvation of eternal life.

Now, why God requires blood, we can't really be sure, except to understand that God says that life is in the blood. Somehow, blood is the cornerstone and foundation of human life. There can be no life without blood. So, blood plays an integral part in human life. For whatever reason, animal blood cannot make the ultimate atonement for sin that washes it away completely. Only human blood, and only untainted human blood can do that. Jesus was the only acceptable person to provide that unsullied blood for the forgiveness of our sin.

I hope that helps and I would encourage you to pray for the wisdom and guidance of the Holy Spirit as you read through the Scriptures.

God bless,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
And yeah Leviticus was a pretty dense chapter, but I'll keep reading. Because even if I don't become a Christian it will help me understand the Christians I know and the ones I'll meet later. I plan on doing this with the Quran as well but I'm going to take it one at a time.

You should be aware that most of the Koran is cobbled together from Biblical texts, non-canonical early Christian writings, and the Jewish Talmud.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tayla

Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2017
USA
✟147,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Sacrifices stopped long before Christianity. If you notice carefully, there is a progression in the religious beliefs and practices of the Israelites, even starting with Abraham and before. Old Testament religion was not a monolithic unchanging static set of stuff that dropped out of heaven one day.

And neither is Christianity. Modern Christianity (in any of its diverse forms) is radically different than apostolic Christianity.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

Well the Jews don't sacrifice animals anymore because there hasn't been a Temple in nearly two thousand years, currently the Dome of the Rock sits atop the Temple Mount in Jerusalem. No Temple, no sacrifices.

From the Christian perspective:

The Torah (the instructions given to Israel on Mt. Horeb in Sinai) was given exclusively to the Children of Israel (the Jewish people) as part of a covenant God made with them. It was a specific covenant that said specific things and was for a specific people. That means non-Jews have never been part of that covenant, or under any obligation to observe the commandments of Torah. Consider Deuteronomy 5:1-3 and Psalm 147:19-20.

With the coming of the Messiah (Jesus) God brought all His previous promises to fullness, Jesus says, "I did not come to destroy the Law and the Prophets, but to make them full". Jesus is God's ultimate "Yes" to all which He promised and said before--to Abraham, to Israel, to David, etc. At the Last Supper Jesus refers to the cup as being the "cup of the new covenant in My blood". Thus all the previous covenants ultimately point to Jesus, and His new covenant.

In the Acts of the Apostles St. Peter receives a vision while in prayer, telling him that there is no longer any unclean food, immediately he receives word of a Roman centurion asking for him. Peter visits the centurion's house and preaches the Gospel, and the entire household receives the message, is baptized and converted. This raised a major question in the early Church: What to do with non-Jewish converts? The question reaches its climax in Acts ch. 15, where a council is held in Jerusalem among the early leaders of the Church, which concludes that Gentiles are under no obligation to become Jewish and observe the Torah. And throughout the writings of St. Paul we consistently see him talk about how both Jew and Gentile, together, are a new people in Jesus. Paul writes, "There is neither Jew nor Greek, male nor female, slave nor free, for you are all one in Christ Jesus."

Christians are therefore not under the old covenant of Moses, but the new covenant of Jesus Christ. The former things point, ultimately, to Jesus. We don't sacrifice lambs and bulls, because we believe the sacrificial system was itself a shadow which points to Christ's own self-offering of Himself in His death on the cross; thus for us the only sacrifice that matters is the sacrifice of Christ's own life poured out for us in His crucifixion. St. John the Baptist, for example, calls Him "the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world". St. Paul in Colossians puts this most clearly when he writes, "Therefore do not let anyone condemn you in matters of food and drink or of observing festivals, new moons, or sabbaths. These are only a shadow of what is to come, but the substance belongs to Christ."

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: Sketcher
Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2016
Burlington VT
✟15,420.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think a lot of people have already hit on good points about this topic, but I was also thinking, that historically and prehistorically, many different peoples from different areas (not just jews) sacrificed animals and sometimes even humans to their gods...I am not an expert on religion itself, but their is often something that draws humans to need to give to their Lord or lords. I do agree that Christ called himself the true offering though and changed all of the laws of the old temple, something you will find in the bible...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Given that most Christians today don't follow the rules in Leviticus and often break those rules, in what way is it fundamental?

One can't break a rule that doesn't apply to you. For example, there are many laws which the Saudi government has on the books which I don't abide by, but I'm not a citizen of Saudi Arabia and so those rules and laws don't apply to me. The Torah consists of 613 mitzvot or "commandments" which were given to a specific people and nation, many of those commandments aren't applicable to Jews today because they are context-dependent. The commandments which deal with the handing down of certain executions of judgment only apply with a Sanhedrin, and there hasn't been a Sanhedrin since the 5th century.

Christians, being as we aren't Jews (that is, our religion isn't Judaism), aren't subject to the particular commandments given exclusively to the Jews. We aren't breaking those rules, because they aren't rules which are in anyway applicable to anyone who isn't Jewish.

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: Strathos
Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟301,997.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
One can't break a rule that doesn't apply to you. For example, there are many laws which the Saudi government has on the books which I don't abide by, but I'm not a citizen of Saudi Arabia and so those rules and laws don't apply to me. The Torah consists of 613 mitzvot or "commandments" which were given to a specific people and nation, many of those commandments aren't applicable to Jews today because they are context-dependent. The commandments which deal with the handing down of certain executions of judgment only apply with a Sanhedrin, and there hasn't been a Sanhedrin since the 5th century.

Christians, being as we aren't Jews (that is, our religion isn't Judaism), aren't subject to the particular commandments given exclusively to the Jews. We aren't breaking those rules, because they aren't rules which are in anyway applicable to anyone who isn't Jewish.

-CryptoLutheran

I agree with this, but it doesn't answer my question to Phil 1:21. If anything, it makes it more confusing. If Leviticus doesn't even apply to Christians, how can it be fundamental to Christian faith?

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

Hello, I highly recommend this study on finding Messiah in Leviticus:

The Book of Leviticus- Torah audio teaching Rabbi Stan Farr

In Acts 18:18, Paul took a Nazarite vow, which involves making offerings (Numbers 6), and in Acts 21:20-24, Paul was on his way to pay for others who had taken a similar vow in order to disprove the false rumor that he was teaching against the Law and to show that he continued to live in obedience to it. So offerings did not stop with the death or resurrection of Messiah, but only stopped with the destruction of the temple. However, the Bible prophecies a time when offerings will resume (Ezekiel 40-46).

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

I recently went through this book, which I think did an excellent job of comparing and contrasting the teachings of Christianity and Islam:

https://www.amazon.com/God-but-One-Investigates-Christianity/dp/0310522552

Upvote 0