Visit site
✟531.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I was recently in a discussion with a friend of mine concerning if animals can tell a person is "good" or "bad" before we can. An example was brought up in how some visitors are greeted friendly by some animals and some not-so-friendly, does this have any relevance in an animalistic wisdom?

Please tell me what you think, or your opinion on this matter, as I'm very interested!

wojo1989

Oct 23, 2004
St. Louis
Visit site
✟15,176.00
Faith
Christian
Well as far as 'dogs' go, they are a social animal. Being a social animal ranking is decided by dominance in the family group.

Since this is the case they are very receptive to body language and eye contact. I believe their natural instinct makes them extremely preceptive to an individuals intent and overall outward presence.

The same thing could be said for many different animals I guess.

Steve

Upvote 0

wojo1989

Oct 23, 2004
St. Louis
Visit site
✟15,176.00
Faith
Christian
mingamonster said:
man is not superior to animals. if intelligence is the only factor that is important in any creature, that makes no sense? Why isn't strength the claim of dominance over organisms?
Might be dipping into a subject outside of this forum section. Sounds like you are asking about evolutionary domintation or what not.

Steve

Upvote 0

April_May_mylittleangel

Jul 6, 2004
Qld. Gold Coast
✟15,163.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
I think that they have instincts and can perceive a person's intent by their body movements, heat, smell and eye contact. It is not of supernaturality. It is just the skill of noticing those things. A normal person can pick out the true intents of another if they have the skills. It is just like perseiving anothers emotion by their expression and vocal pitch, but more indepth. If people take the time to practise those skills, we would be able to also. But a dog does not need to develope those skills as that is one of their instincts.

Upvote 0

PegasusOnFire

is currently unsupervised...
Jun 25, 2003
Iowa
✟25,153.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It also depends on the personality of the animal. I had one cat that hated everyone excpt the 5 of us that lived in the house with her, another cat was afraid of people with Gray hair. Animals will single out people or other animals that may have doen them harm in the past and not like the people that may look or act like them. The third cat that I had loved everyone, even people I knew to be not kind.

I had all three of these cats at the same time, so it was easy to find out what their likes and dislikes were.

THe female that hated everyone out side of our family, was abused by another family before we got her, the male scared of gray haired people was abused by people who had gray hair, the cat that loved and trusted everyone came to our home when he was three months old, and we don't know what his past before that was. All three cats came to us not from a shelter or pet store, they were all found on the street, there is only one that we knew of her family, only after she followed my mother home from a walk, she was my sister's Kindergarten Teacher's cat. The teacher did not like the way her husband and daughter were treating the poor thing so she let us keep her, after the fourth or fifth time she ran away from them.

Now dogs, I haven't worked alot with them, but I find that they react in the same way that my cats have reacted. I know several families in the area that own dogs and am a constant observer of them. Some are lovey to everyone they meet others have to build that trust realtionship with someone. So I guess animals, trying not to personify them, may or may not tell us if a person is good or bad, they are going to be like us, and trust only those who look like people we have trusted in the past.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.