Anglicans, in which of the 5 Solas of the Protestant Reformation do you believe?

Anglicans, in which of the 5 Solas of the Protestant Reformation do you believe?

• I'm undecided.

• I believe in Sola Fide (by Faith alone).

• I believe in Sola Scriptura (by Scripture alone).

• I believe in Solo Christo/Solus Christus (by Christ alone or through Christ alone).

• I believe in Sola Gratia (by Grace alone).

• I believe in Soli Deo Gloria (Glory to God alone).

• I believe in all 5 Solas.

• I'm not that familiar with the 5 Solas.

Results are only viewable after voting.

mark46

Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟830,515.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Hi Anna,

My comment regarding being patronizing was in response to LexMundi's comment. You had reasonanably summarized that the consensus was that we on this board believed in primacy of Scripture. LexMundi's decided that the reason for our consensus was that we didn't understand the issue as he did as demonstrated by one article. BTW, my view is that of primacy. As I indicated, IMHO, the term "sola scriptura" has changed meaning from the ECF's to the Reformation fathers to its use in the 20th and 21st centuries.

I apologize for an offense or confusion.
--------------------------------------
Lexmundi posted
Probably owing to a misunderstanding of what sola scriptura means. See this.

Mark,
I'm so sorry my response sounded patronizing. I didn't assume you don't understand. I was actually agreeing, not disagreeing. Also, I am an Anglican too; and I'm not a fan of Luther.

The reason I started this thread is because on another forum (AF); I was told, by fellow Anglicans, the Reformers defined Sola Scriptura, especially Luther, the founder of all of our five solas; and that Luther, as the father of it all, must be taken with grave respect and extreme seriousness. I disagreed, which didn't go over very well.

So, I wanted to see what other Anglicans think about the 5 Solas and Sola Scriptura in particular.

I should have made my position more clear. I hope this post clears that up.

Peace,
Anna

Upvote 0

Anna Scott

May 29, 2009
Texas
✟21,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hi Anna,

My comment regarding being patronizing was in response to LexMundi's comment. You had reasonanably summarized that the consensus was that we on this board believed in primacy of Scripture. LexMundi's decided that the reason for our consensus was that we didn't understand the issue as he did as demonstrated by one article. BTW, my view is that of primacy. As I indicated, IMHO, the term "sola scriptura" has changed meaning from the ECF's to the Reformation fathers to its use in the 20th and 21st centuries.

I apologize for an offense or confusion.
--------------------------------------
Lexmundi posted
Probably owing to a misunderstanding of what sola scriptura means. See this.

Mark,

Thanks so much for clarifying.

Peace and blessings,
Anna

Upvote 0
L

LuxMundi

Please don't patronize us by presuming that the only reason we disagree with you (and Luther) is because we don't understand.

The doctrine of sola scriptura is frequently understood by contemporary Christians to refer to the idea of 'Scripture alone' by which there is no role for tradition, rather in actual fact the historic view is that sola scriptura believes that tradition is authoritative but that scripture possesses primacy.

We have a consensus here on the STR Board. As the title should suggest, we include Tradition in our interpetations of Scripture, although Scripture is primary and sufficeint with regard to the gospel of salvation.

This is the historic doctrine of sola scriptura which is exactly my point. Tradition is the normed norm and Scripture is the norming norm. This is clearly set out in Post-Reformation Reformed Dogmatics: Holy Scripture and The Shape of Sola Scriptura.

Upvote 0

mark46

Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟830,515.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I agree with your position. I apologize for any misuderstanding.

HOWEVER, you implied that there was something incorrect about the poll consensus regarding the primacy of Scripture (we had a couple of variations). The usage of the term sola scriptura before the Reformation is very similar to what we now call primacy. It seems more reasonable to use the term "primacy" now. And yes, to be somewhat obstinate, I did indeed vote for "all 5 solas", since the reference seems to be to the original Reformation idea.

The reason for the distinction is that sola is used to mean something entirely different than orginally or as used in the Reformation Many do corrrectly use the Reformation usage. Others have moved to what is often called solo scriptura. Primacy seems more clear.

Make no mistake the Westminster Confession is quite clear. It affirms that Scripture speaks for itself in clear and plain language, which anyone can understand. It is easy to see how solo scriptura came about. Most who use the term now are aghast at our accusations that they ignore the ECF's, or the decisions of central authorities of the various churches.
======================================
With regard to the references, the second does indeed lay out the arguments well. Calling us all creedal Christians seems to accept those councils that are convenient (those giving us the canon and those giving us the Creed). I see now reason for stopping before 787.

The doctrine of sola scriptura is frequently understood by contemporary Christians to refer to the idea of 'Scripture alone' by which there is no role for tradition, rather in actual fact the historic view is that sola scriptura believes that tradition is authoritative but that scripture possesses primacy.

This is the historic doctrine of sola scriptura which is exactly my point. Tradition is the normed norm and Scripture is the norming norm. This is clearly set out in Post-Reformation Reformed Dogmatics: Holy Scripture and The Shape of Sola Scriptura.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
I agree with your position. I apologize for any misuderstanding.

HOWEVER, you implied that there was something incorrect about the poll consensus regarding the primacy of Scripture (we had a couple of variations). The usage of the term sola scriptura before the Reformation is very similar to what we now call primacy. It seems more reasonable to use the term "primacy" now. And yes, to be somewhat obstinate, I did indeed vote for "all 5 solas", since the reference seems to be to the original Reformation idea.

The reason for the distinction is that sola is used to mean something entirely different than orginally or as used in the Reformation Many do corrrectly use the Reformation usage. Others have moved to what is often called solo scriptura. Primacy seems more clear.

Make no mistake the Westminster Confession is quite clear. It affirms that Scripture speaks for itself in clear and plain language, which anyone can understand. It is easy to see how solo scriptura came about. Most who use the term now are aghast at our accusations that they ignore the ECF's, or the decisions of central authorities of the various churches.
======================================
With regard to the references, the second does indeed lay out the arguments well. Calling us all creedal Christians seems to accept those councils that are convenient (those giving us the canon and those giving us the Creed). I see now reason for stopping before 787.
Exactly so. I can be sola scriptura in the Reformation version, not according to the current popular solo scriptura misunderstanding. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Anna Scott

May 29, 2009
Texas
✟21,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I guess I'd go with sola gratia and soli Deo gloria

Thanks Adam,
Do you notice the trend on this forum is more consistent with what you and I believe than the trend at AF? Can't quite figure out why.

Anna

Upvote 0

Adam Warlock

Feb 7, 2011
✟14,279.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Thanks Adam,
Do you notice the trend on this forum is more consistent with what you and I believe than the trend at AF? Can't quite figure out why.

Anna

That's very true. I'd like to know why. I also may need to give the solas more thought and consideration. Some people spend far, far more time on them than I ever have.

Adam,
Your avatar is scaring me again. :eek: lol
Yeah, I definitely need to find something less connected to my much younger days :D

Edit: there we go

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Anna Scott

May 29, 2009
Texas
✟21,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
. . .
Yeah, I definitely need to find something less connected to my much younger days :D

Edit: there we go

Less scarey. You do realize I give you a hard time about your avatar just for fun. :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Anna Scott

May 29, 2009
Texas
✟21,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Anna Scott

May 29, 2009
Texas
✟21,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
. . . .The usage of the term sola scriptura before the Reformation is very similar to what we now call primacy. It seems more reasonable to use the term "primacy" now. . . . .

The reason for the distinction is that sola is used to mean something entirely different than orginally or as used in the Reformation Many do corrrectly use the Reformation usage. . . .

Mark,
Once again, I'd like to draw upon your study. I've been trying to find what Luther actually said about Sola Scriptura in his own words. I've done a number of searches and haven't been able to find this.

Do you know of any links to Luther's actual words regarding Sola Scriptura?

Thanks so much,
Anna

Upvote 0

mark46

Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟830,515.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
There are much better sources than I on the Lutheran board. They have been very open in explaining the teachings of Luther.

Mark,
Once again, I'd like to draw upon your study. I've been trying to find what Luther actually said about Sola Scriptura in his own words. I've done a number of searches and haven't been able to find this.

Do you know of any links to Luther's actual words regarding Sola Scriptura?

Thanks so much,
Anna

Upvote 0

Anna Scott

May 29, 2009
Texas
✟21,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There are much better sources than I on the Lutheran board. They have been very open in explaining the teachings of Luther.

Mark1,
Thanks. I'll search the forums. :)

Peace on this our Lord's day,
Anna

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums