Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Actually, your first statment is false. It is a heavily debated subject.

In terms of other things however...

1. We don't usually see a problem with birth control.
2. Abortion is, again, a big debate, although it being used as a form of birth control is ahbored by all.
3. Pre-marital sex is highly discouraged
4. Sex education in schools is an important tool

Upvote 0

Evilcrog

Jun 5, 2005
✟118.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
PaladinValer said:
Actually, your first statment is false. It is a heavily debated subject.

It is debated subject based on Gene Robinson and his consecration as bishop, but as the theology of the church itself, Homosexuality is considered disordered. All reports that I have read about the subject say that is the official view. Are the other subjects the official view?

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Excuse me, it is not considered "disordered." Disordered implies it being some sort of maligne condition, which it is clearly not (and the Anglican Communion officially recognizes this fact).

In addition, you need to start reading just the reports from, say the AAC or those statements from the African and Asian provinces; they are in just as much hot water (if not hotter) and are utter hypocrites the way they are acting.

However, as I feared, we are diverging. I answered your actual question. Do you have any others?

Upvote 0

Evilcrog

Jun 5, 2005
✟118.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Paladin,
My understanding is that something from the Windsor Report was sufficient as a citation as the theology of the church. I would also think something posted on Episcopalian.org would have accurate information. (Being a newbie I had to edit out the citation for the actual paper)

I may be wrong. I understand that they are very conservative and anglo-cath. Do you have more maintream sites to check? There is not much I have noted that contains the catechism of the Anglican/Episcopal church.

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The Windsor Report is a special document not to be taken lightly. It is true that, according to 1998 Lambth 1:10, there are clear certain guidelines about non-heterosexual "behaviors" (not being non-heterosexual by itself).

However, what is also true about Lambeth is that any decision is more like a guideline than a hard rule. There is not one province in the Anglican Communion that doesn't reject a certain Lambeth canon. The structure of the Anglican Communion is autocephalous; each province is, in essense, a self-governing body with its own canons.

The problem? The Anglican Communion isn't made of independent province but interdependent provinces. The fact that the ECUSA and the ACoC performed certain actions as they did in "question" of Lambeth wasn't so much the problem as the fact that my ECUSA and the ACoC provinces did so without acknowledging the interdependence of the Anglican Communion. Two other provinces, the Province of Rwanda and the Province in Southeast Asia, were also repremanded both by the Windsor Report and quite firmly by the Archbishop of Canterbury himself for actions that, quite frankly, are worse.

While Lambeth is arguably more like guidelines, there are certain core doctrines and dogmas that cannot be argued. One of these is the sanctity of provinces and diocese; no bishop has the right to interfere in another bishop's diocese. Same goes with one primate interferring in the affairs of another primate's province. The primates of those two provinces have been interferring in the affairs of the ECUSA province.

This has nothing to do with Lambeth; it has to do with Ecumenical Council, which our Anglican Communion holds in great esteem. They were when the Church wasn't divided; it was literally One. It goes against Holy Tradition, which is a part of the "three-legged stool" that makes up the credo of Anglicanism: Scripture, Tradition, Reason.

I invite you to join us in STR if you wish to understand the Anglican Communion better. A number of us are extremely knowledgeable about the structure of the AC and would be more than happy to answer your questions and guide you in learning more.

Upvote 0

constance

The littlest billy goat gruff
Apr 3, 2005
Indiana
✟29,764.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was a member of an ECUSA "Low Anglican" church (very "Victorian" in practice, was getting in trouble because they wouldn't give up the 1920's missal) which threatened about 6 years ago to pull all funding to the region because there were rumors that priests were marrying (or could or might marry) homosexuals.

I was in the process of marrying my current husband. We went through six months of intensive premarital counseling, and were instructed not to have premarital sex.

Additionally, I had been married previously (and I've got several great biblical reason to not be - if you want to jab me, feel free to PM me), and our priest had to get some sort of Episcopal dispensation (i.e. a permission slip signed by the Bishop) for him to marry us...

Constance

Upvote 0

Colabomb

I seek sin like a moth towards flame, save me God.
Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
✟19,125.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This particular Anglican Believes....

1. Homosexuality is a Sin.
2. Pre-Marrital sex is not merely "discouraged" but is indeed a SIN.
3. Abortion is sinful unless both mother and Child were to die, in which case it is better to save one life than have two die.
4. Pre-conceptual Contraception is acceptable.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Naomi4Christ

not a nutter
Site Supporter
Sep 15, 2005
✟269,195.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Evilcrog said:
I understand that the anglicans/Episcopals believe that homosexuality is disordered similar to how the catholics believe, but what about other sexuality? Birth control... Abortion... etc ;)

In the Church of England (which is the mother church of the Anglican Communion), the official line is that sexual relations should only take place within a marriage. We recognise that there are homosexual people, and we are called to love them as much as anyone else.

Birth control is a matter for those using it - the church does not have a view, although it is concerned in that it permits extra-marital relations with fewer consequences. Abortion should not be used as birth control.

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Naomi4Christ said:
In the Church of England (which is the mother church of the Anglican Communion),

Depends on how you define "mother."

While all other provinces owe their existence to the Church of England's evangelism, they are not in any sense lesser or unequal. This includes the Archbishop of Canterbury, who is First Among Equals among the other Primatea of the Church.

the official line is that sexual relations should only take place within a marriage. We recognise that there are homosexual people, and we are called to love them as much as anyone else.

Which is hotly contested, you forget to mention.

Abortion should not be used as birth control.

Also hotly contested.

Can't get more mainstream that these ones:

CofE Marriage
CofE Abortion
CofE Contraception

Naomi, the CoE isn't the end-all-and-be-all of Anglicanism. That's YOUR province, not the whole of Anglicanism. STR has gone over this many, many times.

Since two of the topics mentioned are in great debate, and the fact that difference provinces have different provincial canons, it is only right and honest to provide sources so readers can get the full and more honest breadth of Anglicanism.

Upvote 0

Naomi4Christ

not a nutter
Site Supporter
Sep 15, 2005
✟269,195.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
PaladinValer said:
Depends on how you define "mother."

spawned

Which is hotly contested, you forget to mention.
I didn't realise that some church teaching is not to love one another. That goes against Christ's commands to us.

Also hotly contested.

What? Serial abortion is OK by some standards? Well, I never!

Naomi, the CoE isn't the end-all-and-be-all of Anglicanism. That's YOUR province, not the whole of Anglicanism.

Actually, it's two provinces...

Since two of the topics mentioned are in great debate, and the fact that difference provinces have different provincial canons, it is only right and honest to provide sources so readers can get the full and more honest breadth of Anglicanism.

Yes - click and read.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.