Senior Veteran
Jan 27, 2006
DFW Metroplex
✟17,678.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I read that they were developed in the US in the 1980s, but are these commonly used by Anglicans, Episcopalians, etc.? Is this (Wiki) how it's commonly prayed? I have to say, I would like this if it is. The Jesus Prayer ("Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.") is probably my favorite prayer of all time.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I read that they were developed in the US in the 1980s, but are these commonly used by Anglicans, Episcopalians, etc.? Is this (Wiki) how it's commonly prayed? I have to say, I would like this if it is. The Jesus Prayer ("Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.") is probably my favorite prayer of all time.

They're moderately well-known and used, I'd say. There are several suggestions online for how to use them. The wikipedia format is close to the original version developed by Rev. Lynn Bauman. However, there isn't any "official" lineup of prayers. The user is quite free to select his own. The Jesus Prayer, though, is almost universally suggested for the "weeks" prayers (more or less in the location that the Hail Marys would be if you were using the Roman Catholic rosary).

Upvote 0

Sean611

Feb 24, 2012
Missouri
✟20,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

As far as I know, prayer beads of some sort have been a part of Anglicanism since the very early days of the Church. As for the Anglican Rosary, it is relatively new to Anglicanism. That said, praying with beads is nothing new in Anglicanism.

Since we can trace our history back to and through the Roman Catholic Church, it is not uncommon to find Anglicans who pray the Catholic Rosary. It is also not uncommon to find Anglicans who pray using a Catholic Rosary, while using the prayer method devoloped by Luther.

Our small parish used to have an Anglican Rosary prayer group, but it has kind of fell away in recent years. That said, most Anglicans don't really worry about one's private devotions, whether one prays the Rosary or whether one chooses not to.

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

There have been many prayers and petitions that have been published or suggested. I have a leaflet that has four, including the one you've mentioned, printed on it and have made up one for healing which I rather like...or liked until I lost the page (gotta find it).

My parish has a ministry of making Anglican Rosaries them upon request.

Upvote 0

Sean611

Feb 24, 2012
Missouri
✟20,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
There have been many prayers and petitions that have been published or suggested. I have a leaflet that has four, including the one you've mentioned, printed on it and have made up one for healing which I rather like...or liked until I lost the page (gotta find it).

My parish has a ministry of making Anglican Rosaries them upon request.

Indeed, and the strength of the Anglican Rosary is the ability to make your own prayers or "mix and match" your favorite prayers.

That is really cool that your parish has a ministry for making Anglican Rosaries.

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Indeed, and the strength of the Anglican Rosary is the ability to make your own prayers or "mix and match" your favorite prayers.

I rather like that myself. While I do love the Marian rosary and recite it on occasion, I find that the Anglican rosary is adaptive to situations and various devotions, including Marian ones I might add, which makes it, IMHO, a more useful tool, although that isn't of course to suggest that the Marian rosary isn't useful; I always use it for my Marian devotions due to its historic association with them.

That is really cool that your parish has a ministry for making Anglican Rosaries.

We don't make many, but for those who are interested in it, they enjoy the fact that it isn't commercially made and therefore more "personal" for them, like the prayer shawls we make too. The nice thing is that we can customize reasonably well, insofar as the recipient isn't looking for anything truly costly or fancy.

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Not sure I can say much. We haven't made many, to my knowledge, in some time, although I believe they are always specific to a person and perhaps kept private, so they may be more of them being made without my knowledge.

As I understand it currently, anyone who requests one can have one made, specifically for them or an intended recipient, and I believe it is blessed by our priest once made. Prayers for health, healing, and curing are made during their making, often addressing the ill or other infirmity the intended recipient has, be it physical, mental, or spiritual, if I recall correctly.

Upvote 0

Aalia

~away with the faeries~
Jan 23, 2013
United Kingdom
✟7,659.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
I have a thing for Anglican Rosaries - always wanted one, but I already pray the Marian Rosary (not to say you couldn't say both, though, and in fact I have thought about getting one and using it as chaplet).

A while ago, I stumbled across a beautiful site for the Anglican Rosary with lovely prayer ideas, which you might like to look over: stmarymagdalenes(dot)org / prayerformats(dot)htm and this is a good one for learning how to say them, plus more prayers: kingofpeace(dot)org / prayerbeads(dot)htm - obviously you will need to replace the dots and remove the spaces. :)

Upvote 0

everbecoming2007

Dec 4, 2012
wherever I am at any given moment
✟70,470.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'm not sure how common it is, but a fair amount of Anglicans probably use them. A person in my church has made one for many and other members in the parish. I pray the Dominican Rosary, I sometimes pray with the Anglican Rosary, and I pray the Jesus Prayer on an Orthodox chotki.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟837,595.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0