San Diego
✟28,176.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have recently moved to a country district with several churches but none of them are Baptist. I am seriously considering whether to attend the local Anglican church but I don't know what to expect as I haven't ever been to one before.

Can you tell me any similarities/differences these denominations have? E.g style of worship, emphasis more on bible or social issues, theology and so on?
It's funny I should come across this post after this weekend. I'm an Episcopalian (Anglican), and I regularly attend my Episcopal Church but this weekend at the behest of my daughter's soon to be Godparents I also visited their church for a service after I went to my church on Sunday. Their church is "nondenominational" in name currently, but in history and practice it's a Baptist church, albeit an independent one. It was even named as a Baptist church until about 15 years ago.

The two churches could not be more different. Episcopal (Anglican) churches of the higher church variety like what I attend are very close to what most people expect when you walk into a Catholic Church. I go to the "lite" early mass at my Episcopal Church, but even that has the basic structure it inherited from the Catholic Church before the reformation minus the "smells and bells". My church's later in the day services are the full smells and bells variety that appears even closer to a Catholic mass. Both include a pair of old and new testament readings, psalm, gospel reading, sermon, prayers for the people, a confession of sin, the Nicene Creed, and Eucharist being offered (with the real presence of the Lord in there in the bread and wine).

Now there are some Episcopal/Anglican churches that are in the more reformed tradition that may skew more Protestant, but even those wouldn't come close to what is more typical of the Baptist Churches I've been to and seen which tend to be more modern song praise based, with a bible lesson from a specific passage, usually a communion of bread and wine in remembrance of the last supper if offered at all. If you're looking for a place to go as a Baptist that is similar to what you're used to, Anglicanism probably isn't what you're looking for.

Last edited:
Upvote 0