big sister
Apr 25, 2009
Land Down Under
✟12,875.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I have recently moved to a country district with several churches but none of them are Baptist. I am seriously considering whether to attend the local Anglican church but I don't know what to expect as I haven't ever been to one before.

Can you tell me any similarities/differences these denominations have? E.g style of worship, emphasis more on bible or social issues, theology and so on?

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I have recently moved to a country district with several churches but none of them are Baptist. I am seriously considering whether to attend the local Anglican church but I don't know what to expect as I haven't ever been to one before.

Can you tell me any similarities/differences these denominations have? E.g style of worship, emphasis more on bible or social issues, theology and so on?

No, we can't.

;) That's sort of an Anglican joke, Joey. You'll see what I mean.

Anglicanism will probably strike you as very much like Roman Catholicism, but it comes in several varieties. Because we don't know what local parishes/congregations are in your neighborhood, we will be guessing. However, there's a general rule of thumb that might help somewhat. The two main varieties of Anglicanism are 1) the Catholic type except that we don't have any Pope and are more loosely structured with more local and congregational authority and more room for individual conscience--which a Baptist might appreciate. The other, 2) would be clearly Protestant in approach to the Bible, etc. except that we have retained a lot of the look and feel of Catholicism just the same--the structure of the worship service, the church calendar, the emphasis upon Communion, etc. In short, both may seem Catholic "lite" to you, but there would be a difference from our POV. When it comes to social issues, again some churches are very active and others not so. Any particular issues that you might have--please ask.

Upvote 0

MichaelNZ

Servus Mariae
Nov 10, 2006
Dunedin, New Zealand
Visit site
✟12,170.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The church may look like a "traditional" church with wooden pews. There will be an altar at the front of the church - some churches may have two - a free-standing one nearer the centre of the church and one closer to or even up against the back wall. The back wall may contain a wooden structure containing a crucifix and candles (see this photo). But then again, it may be more modern (like St Paul's Cathedral in Wellington).

With regards to the services, I don't have a lot of experience with Baptist services. I went to one and they had modern music led by a band. The pastor wore shorts and a T-shirt and gave a very long sermon.

In contrast, an Anglican priest will usually wear a cassock, surplice and tippet or a set of Roman Catholic vestments to celebrate services (the latter being reserved to services of the Eucharist and is generally worn by Anglo-Catholic clergy). The service will generally be from A Prayer Book for Australia or the Book of Common Prayer (you can access some of the services from the Australian prayer book here).

Regarding doctrine, Anglicanism differs from the Baptist church in a number of ways. We reject sola scriptura and accept three sources of tradition, which also happen to be the name of this forum: Scripture, Tradition and Reason. We believe that baptism is necessary for salvation and thus we administer the sacrament to infants.

If what I've told you so far makes you feel uncomfortable, then maybe Anglicanism isn't your cup of tea. You could look around for Presbyterian or Methodist churches, which, doctrinally at least, would be closer to what you're used to.

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The Anglican service will be liturgical unlike the Baptist service.
The Anglican service will be sacramental unlike the Baptist service.
The Anglican service will be interactive unlike the Baptist service.
The Anglican service will have far better music unlike the Baptist service.
The Anglican service will have more Scripture read unlike the Baptist service which usually focus on just a few verses or one section.
The Anglican service will include Holy Communion unlike the Baptist service.
The Anglican service will have a priest in Apostolic Succession preside unlike the Baptist service.

Anglicanism you must always remember is Catholic and protestant but not Protestant. We protest the abuses of the Vatican and also what was added later, but not Apostolic Succession, a priesthood, episcopal polity, Deuterocanonical books in the Holy Scripture, sacramental theology and the seven major sacraments, the theology of the Real Presence of Christ in Holy Communion, the official place of Holy Tradition in our theology, relics, Saintly intercessions, etc.

We do reject a required celibate priesthood, required transubstantiationism, required Assumption of St. Mary, required Immaculate Conception of St. Mary, Papacy, cardinals, and are slowly but surely moving away from the filioque in the Creed.

Reactions: Wgw
Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
joey_downunder said:

Depends a bit on where you are. A typical Sydney diocese parish (or Armadale or NW Australia) will be much more like what you are used to than a typical one in the diocese of Ballarat or Murray. Does the parish have a noticeboard or website? How does it describe itself and it's services?

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
joey_downunder said:
Thanks for your replies everyone! I'll have to put some serious thought into this.

Ebia I am in central QLD. I assume a country town church is usually more conservative than capital cities' churches?

Maybe. I don't know country queensland at all - except for knowing a previous bishop of rockhampton.

Upvote 0

AndrewRD

Reformed Catholic
Jan 23, 2012
Jackson, Mississippi
✟15,170.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
First off, I'll begin with the disclaimer that I'm not from AU and have never been, though I would love to go one day. So I can't speak with first hand certainty on the state of the Anglican Church there. However, as everyone above as said, my understanding of Anglicans almost universally is that there is a broad spectrum of styles and theological flavors to them. For example, the very most 'low-church' and protestant-leaning Anglicans (here in the US anyway) are oftentimes kind of like Presbyterians that use the prayer book liturgy! And it goes all the way up to very 'high-church', Catholicity-affirming Anglicans who are essentially Popeless Roman-Catholics.

All this to say, I would simply have a few visits around to see if any of the local Anglican churches strike your fancy.

No matter which one you go to, the most obvious and most all-encompassing difference is probably going to be the presence of a formal liturgy, in the form of the Prayer Book. This will probably take some adjusting to---It did for me; I was raised as Southern Baptist here in the US, but fell away from faith into Agnostic Nihilism for many years. Then, when I was saved and came back to faith, it was in an Anglican church.

My advice would simply be to try it out. I'll keep you in my prayers. :)

Blessings

Reactions: Drax
Upvote 0

R_A

Mar 2, 2011
✟7,865.00
Faith
Anglican
Anglicanism will probably strike you as very much like Roman Catholicism
If we speak about this in superficial terms, basically Anglicanism outwardly is like Roman Catholic, and inwardly like 'five solas'.

In other words, theologically it has a lot of the same foundations as e.g. the Baptist tradition (excepting believer baptism of course); and outwardly is very ornamental, with efforts to try to go back and maintain a Christianity that has a look going back thousands of years. Etc.

Upvote 0

UKChristian

Nov 12, 2006
✟7,762.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Greens
There is no such thing as a typical Anglican. The Anglican church is the most liberal church in the world, and also the most Conservative(and everything in between). As an Anglican who used to worship at a Baptist church, I have experience of both. I think if you find a local evangelical Anglican community you will see a lot of similarities with the Baptist church(more focus on communion though). However getting towards the Anglo-Catholic style of Anglicanism and you will see a world of difference. Anglicanism is a very varied religion as I have said before, but then so is the Baptist faith(and probably the only denomination to rival it in the varied stakes). I wish you well and let us all know how you get on if you do attend an Anglican church :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Great thing about the Anglican Church is that they let you think for yourself. They don't dictate what you should think about women, gays or what colour the windows should be. Of course vicars and Bishops have views on these, but its not converted into Dogma.

Well...not exactly true.

While it is true we are not at dogmatic as the Vatican Catholic Church, we still hold to the Catholicity of the faith, which means we hold things like the Creeds, the Definition of Chalcedon, the Holy Bible as authoritative on matters of faith, doctrine, morals, and salvation, etc. Anti-Trinitarian theology is not Anglican, for example.

Now there is currently debate within the Anglican Communion still on women clergy, the trend is for women's ordination...the CoE is near allowing women bishops and I believe the Episcopal Church in Jerusalem and the Middle East's canons allow for women priests. However, in all of these places, there is available pastoral oversight for those who disagree.

As for stained glass, that is an issue of churchship preference.

Upvote 0

Drax

Dominate
Oct 6, 2010
✟8,531.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Great thing about the Anglican Church is that they let you think for yourself. They don't dictate what you should think about women, gays or what colour the windows should be. Of course vicars and Bishops have views on these, but its not converted into Dogma.
I'd say that's pretty much true. Just about anything goes!

Upvote 0

MichaelNZ

Servus Mariae
Nov 10, 2006
Dunedin, New Zealand
Visit site
✟12,170.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Well...not exactly true.
Now there is currently debate within the Anglican Communion still on women clergy, the trend is for women's ordination...the CoE is near allowing women bishops and I believe the Episcopal Church in Jerusalem and the Middle East's canons allow for women priests. However, in all of these places, there is available pastoral oversight for those who disagree.

As for stained glass, that is an issue of churchship preference.

My hometown's diocese, the Diocese of Dunedin, New Zealand, was the first in the world to have a female diocesan bishop.

Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2011
Brisbane
✟15,493.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
aussieoldcatholic said:
wow that's Awesome. I'm looking forward to the day where every Anglican diocese has had a female Bishop. Good on her!

I think you could be waiting a while for Murray and Sydney.

Upvote 0

MKJ

Contributor
Jul 6, 2009
East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Well...not exactly true.

Canada has women bishops and priests, and no pastoral oversight available.

Upvote 0

Jon Xavier

Feb 7, 2016
Toronto
✟15,111.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
The Anglican service will be liturgical unlike the Baptist service.
The Anglican service will be sacramental unlike the Baptist service.
The Anglican service will be interactive unlike the Baptist service.
The Anglican service will have far better music unlike the Baptist service.
The Anglican service will have more Scripture read unlike the Baptist service which usually focus on just a few verses or one section.
The Anglican service will include Holy Communion unlike the Baptist service.
The Anglican service will have a priest in Apostolic Succession preside unlike the Baptist service.

Anglicanism you must always remember is Catholic and protestant but not Protestant. We protest the abuses of the Vatican and also what was added later, but not Apostolic Succession, a priesthood, episcopal polity, Deuterocanonical books in the Holy Scripture, sacramental theology and the seven major sacraments, the theology of the Real Presence of Christ in Holy Communion, the official place of Holy Tradition in our theology, relics, Saintly intercessions, etc.

We do reject a required celibate priesthood, required transubstantiationism, required Assumption of St. Mary, required Immaculate Conception of St. Mary, Papacy, cardinals, and are slowly but surely moving away from the filioque in the Creed.

I really have to laugh when you say that Anglicans are not Protestant but somehow neither Protestant nor Catholic. The so-called threefold source of authority approach actually is very Protestant rather than Catholic since tradition as a capital T thing has never been part of Anglicanism. Anglicans are not in communion with either the Eastern Church or Rome. Why? Because it's Protestant, and it's theology exhibits that in every way, flowing from mostly Calvin and Luther, and then liberal theology and evangelicalism, with the little patristic theology thrown in. That is no more Catholic than Lutheranism,
Claims to apostolic succession notwithstanding. A claim that's honoured neither by the east or Rome.
You're also being pretty hard on the Baptist Church and pretty one sided in your critique. For some baptist are in fact sacramental, just as the earliest ones were. I would also say that responsiveness in worship is a relative thing, and simply having our people read from books, mostly saying the same things week after week, while good, it's certainly not interactive in any kind of dynamic sense. Better music is also relative, but again mind you, our music is thoroughly Protestant in the main. Oh yeah, your reference to the new row canonical books. Our view of those is in fact Protestant and those books are in many Protestant study Bibles, as well. You may be anglo-catholic for all I know. But even if that's the case, you're still not Catholic in the way most people understand it. Indeed, you're Catholic only in the sense that Protestants understand it.

Upvote 0