• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Andy Stanley and Mass Deception

Discussion in 'Christian Scriptures' started by Alpha-Omega, May 18, 2017.

1. Alpha-Omega

Alpha-Omega New Member

+28
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Single
    Andy Stanley is supposed to be a pastor of the 2nd biggest church in the USA, and yet he blatantly contradicts what the Bible teaches as Facts, and has ten's of thousands that attend his church. This is real scary and should be a warning to all Bible believing Christians, of departing from "the Faith, once and for all delivered to the saints" (Jude 3)

2. ToBeLoved

ToBeLoved Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,226
    Non-Denom
    Private
    This is the entire Word of Faith movement. The worst preachers come from its loins and most money based televangelists

3. PropheticTimes

PropheticTimes Work in Progress

+654
    United States
    Christian
    In Relationship
    Wow, that sucks, I used to enjoy listening to his dad's teachings years back.

4. ViaCrucis

ViaCrucis Evangelical Catholic of the Augsburg Confession

+7,458
    Lutheran
    Single
    US-Others
    Who?

-CryptoLutheran

5. hengesthorsa

hengesthorsa Well-Known Member Supporter

+874
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    So, he doesn't "believe" things not specifically recorded as being referenced by Jesus? Or did I miss part of this?

6. PropheticTimes

PropheticTimes Work in Progress

+654
    United States
    Christian
    In Relationship
    Charles Stanley

7. AlexDTX

AlexDTX Well-Known Member

+722
    Christian
    Married
    I have no problem with what he is saying. He is not dismissing the Bible he is saying his faith in the Bible because he knows who Jesus is: i.,e., God incarnate. And because he knows Jesus is Truth he can trust the Bible because Jesus validates the truth of the Bible. The Bible is not God. It is his testimony. Also the Word of God is always the living member of the Godhead who became the man Christ Jesus. Yet we equate the printed page as the same as the living Word. Andy is not denying the infallibility of the Scripture. Instead he is saying that youth need to know Jesus first, then they will understand why the scriptures are infallible. It is clear to me he is talking about evangelism.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • List
  8. ViaCrucis

+7,458
    Lutheran
    Single
    US-Others
    Ah, the televangelist. I remember seeing his name show up flipping through channels back in the day; that's about the limit of my knowledge though. So the dude in the video is his son.

-CryptoLutheran

9. hengesthorsa

+874
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    This guy is not a Peter Popoff but he really rubs me the wrong way. Gives me a bad feeling. So I guess I can't be objective.

10. ViaCrucis

+7,458
    Lutheran
    Single
    US-Others
    So I just watched the video, well most of it. I'm not seeing the big problem. The Bible, and especially the supposed inerrancy or infallibility of the Bible isn't the foundation of our faith; he's quite correct by saying that Jesus is the foundation of our faith and that the Bible's purpose is to point back to Jesus.

This isn't problematic, this is a rather fundamental, basic, traditional approach to the Holy Scriptures. The Bible is about Jesus, the Bible doesn't exist to reference back to itself, but to point us--the Church--continually to Jesus. That's how the Bible came into existence as the received sacred texts of the Church, being read and confessed in the Church's living tradition and worship. St. Augustine, for example, states that Scripture contains one Utterance, that Utterance is Jesus; Jesus Himself is God's Word. The Word of God is a Person, not a book, or a collection of books; the Bible is called God's word not because it is itself God's revelation, but because it points us to Christ, it contains Christ, Christ is the Word found in the pages of Sacred Scripture.

Is there something else he says that's problematic? Or was that pretty much it?

-CryptoLutheran

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. miamited

miamited Ted Supporter

+1,365
    Christian
    Married
    Hi all,

I tend to agree with alexdtx. I don't think that he is making any claim that the bible is fallible. What he says is that because he believes all that Jesus said and did, he believes the bible is infallible. Jesus pretty much said the same thing. He told us that without the Spirit of God there is no understanding of the things of God. We don't receive the Spirit of God because we believe the Scriptures to be infallible. We receive the Spirit of God because we agree with the Son of God. So, he's saying that we should start there. Don't waste so much time trying to argue the infallibility of the Scriptures with those who haven't received the Spirit of God first. They're not going to agree with you.

However, the testimony that he gives of his own trust and faith in the Scriptures is that he believes them because Jesus believed them.

God bless you,
    In Christ, ted

12. hengesthorsa

+874
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    One might easily say, though, that the only evidence for the ministry and resurrection of Jesus is Scripture. So he believes Scripture because of Jesus's words...which he knows through Scripture.

13. Hank77

Hank77 Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,083
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Constitution
    Andy Stanley's church, North Point Community Church, from their website....

What We Believe

• About the Scriptures: We believe the entire Bible is the inspired Word of God and that men were moved by the Spirit of God to write the very words of Scripture. Therefore, we believe the Bible is without error.

Church Overview - North Point

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  14. Calminian

Calminian Senior Veteran

+410
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    I remember seeing this, or something similar a while back. At best it is terribly confusing and a subtle undermining of Scripture. Scripture is the Word of God. It was authoritative before the incarnation. To say it has no authority apart from Christ's endorsement is like saying it had no authority before Christ came. He goes so far as to say we should stop saying "the Bible says."

Should Pastors Stop Saying, 'the Bible Says'?

Yes, you can play with the subtleties, I get that, but it's a confusing nonsensical thing to say, especially for a Pastor.

Also, just look how he handles the word of God elsewhere, like allowing openly gay couples serve in his Church, and counseling a gay man to first divorce his wife before getting into a gay relationship, so he's not guilty of adultery. Al Mohler commented in this.

Is the Megachurch the New Liberalism?

Answer in Genesis also spoke up with concerns: The Bible Says or Paul Says?

I personally think modern pop culture pastors like Andy Stanley are one of the biggest problems in the American Church today. Through marketing schemes they grow their churches quite large, but the number of actual believers in America is dropping catastrophically, especially youth.

15. meconstant3402

meconstant3402 New Member

+15
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    I think Andy Stanley is sincere in his focus on Jesus Christ,our Lord and Savior, without whom the Bible would not exist as a Christian text.

16. Jorge

Jorge New Member

+6
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    This Stanley guy doesn't know what he's talking about or what he's doing. He will have to answer for his words and actions - not to you or me but to the One that will judge him.

17. JoeP222w

JoeP222w Well-Known Member

+677
    Christian
    Married
    Andy Stanely is a false teacher. You throw away the truth of any part of the Bible, then you can't know Jesus Christ. God has revealed Himself through scripture. If you doubt scripture, you are simply not a believer in Jesus Christ, you are not a Christian, because by throwing away the Bible, you have no way to define your faith.

18. meconstant3402

meconstant3402 New Member

+15
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    I don't think he's so bad. Let's look at it this way. All of you are INTERPRETERS of the Word. Whether or not you believe that the Bible is the inerrant word of God or not. You don't know God personally unless you have a relationship with Jesus that goes beyond the text. Christ goes beyond the text. I believe that at the end of time, that text will find its place in a larger library of God.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  19. JayW

JayW Well-Known Member

+522
    Christian
    Married
    Didn't people get over the whole televangelist craze in the 80s with Crying Jimmy Swaggart and Jim and Tammy Faye?

20. JoeP222w

JoeP222w Well-Known Member

+677
    Christian
    Married
    I don't know of any Christian who claims that the Bible is God.

When you compromise on the word of God, it is not evangelism. Unbelievers are not neutral. They hate God.