And you thought the Moon is our only satellite…

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟373,369.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Recent studies with the Large Binocular and Lowell Discovery Telescopes at the Univ. of Arizona on Kamo’oalewa have been reported. She is the the smallest of the 5 known quasi-satellites that orbit Earth along with Moon—only about 41m long. About the size of a ferris wheel. Spectrum analysis indicates Kamo’s composed of similar silicates as the Moon. So she’s likely a piece of the Moon that was ejected by a collision. Kinda cool. Our moon is not our only satellite.

Lunar-like silicate material forms the Earth quasi-satellite (469219) 2016 HO3 Kamoʻoalewa | Communications Earth & Environment

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟988,187.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Recent studies with the Large Binocular and Lowell Discovery Telescopes at the Univ. of Arizona on Kamo’oalewa have been reported. She is the the smallest of the 5 known quasi-satellites that orbit Earth along with Moon—only about 41m long. About the size of a ferris wheel. Spectrum analysis indicates Kamo’s composed of similar silicates as the Moon. So she’s likely a piece of the Moon that was ejected by a collision. Kinda cool. Our moon is not our only satellite.

Lunar-like silicate material forms the Earth quasi-satellite (469219) 2016 HO3 Kamoʻoalewa | Communications Earth & Environment

I admit to being confused about the orbital characteristics of this lump of rock. Although it orbits the Sun it also makes 'retrograde loops around Earth with a 1 year period'.

I'm having real trouble visualising its orbit (and what is 'Earth's Hill sphere'?)

From the linked paper:
As it orbits the Sun with a ~1 year orbital period, it takes a quasi-satellite path relative to Earth, that is, it makes retrograde loops around Earth with a ~1 year period but well beyond Earth’s Hill sphere6.
OB

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,844.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I admit to being confused about the orbital characteristics of this lump of rock. Although it orbits the Sun it also makes 'retrograde loops around Earth with a 1 year period'.

I'm having real trouble visualising its orbit (and what is 'Earth's Hill sphere'?)

From the linked paper:
As it orbits the Sun with a ~1 year orbital period, it takes a quasi-satellite path relative to Earth, that is, it makes retrograde loops around Earth with a ~1 year period but well beyond Earth’s Hill sphere6.
OB

Google and Wiki are your friends!

Hill sphere - Wikipedia

And something spends a lot of time well beyond the Hill Sphere of another object can hardly be said to be orbiting it. Definately not a stable orbit, which is likely why it was net described in detial.

• Informative
Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟988,187.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Google and Wiki are your friends!

Hill sphere - Wikipedia

And something spends a lot of time well beyond the Hill Sphere of another object can hardly be said to be orbiting it. Definately not a stable orbit, which is likely why it was net described in detial.

Thanks Keith. I usually look things up for myself but it's early in the morning here. I just got up and I'm feeling lazy. :sleep:

OB

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟988,187.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
I’d like to know how a space rock got a Hawaiian name.

From 469219 Kamoʻoalewa - Wikipedia

Discovery and naming[edit]
Kamoʻoalewa was first spotted on 27 April 2016, by the Pan-STARRS 1 asteroid survey telescope on Haleakalā, Hawaii, operated by the University of Hawaii's Institute for Astronomy and funded by NASA's Planetary Defense Coordination Office.[1][4] The name Kamoʻoalewa is derived from the Hawaiian words ka 'the', moʻo 'fragment', referring to it being a piece broken off a larger object, a 'of', and lewa 'to oscillate', referring to its motion in the sky as viewed from Earth.[7][8] The official naming citation was published by the Minor Planet Center on 6 April 2019 (M.P.C. 112435).[9]

OB

Upvote 0