Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,010,444.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Carry all your sufferings. In the name of Jesus. Offering them up to Jesus, daily. Stay close to Jesus. Stay true. Trust in Him. Believe in Him. Love Him.

Upvote 0

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Bearing your cross is probably not possible these days for the most part unless you live in a country where Christianity is punishable by death.

That said, we are to proclaim the Gospel despite persecutions: Matthew 10:32

And then we get filled with the Holy Spirit :)

Upvote 0

MariaJLM

Crazy Cat Lady
Aug 1, 2018
Calgary
✟50,815.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
CA-Others
Bearing your cross is probably not possible these days for the most part unless you live in a country where Christianity is punishable by death.

Not true. We all have our own unique cross to bear. Our cross to bear is our own individual passions and sins that make it difficult to be a good Christian. The risk of being killed for the faith is not the only hardship Christians face.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Physical death is not the big deal anyone thinks it is.

Upvote 0

devin553344

Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Not true. We all have our own unique cross to bear. Our cross to bear is our own individual passions and sins that make it difficult to be a good Christian. The risk of being killed for the faith is not the only hardship Christians face.

I was reflecting on what led to Jesus being crucified. Which was spreading the gospel of the New Testament I thought. Yes also our sins led Him to the crucifixion. Good point.

Upvote 0

MariaJLM

Crazy Cat Lady
Aug 1, 2018
Calgary
✟50,815.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
CA-Others
I was reflecting on what led to Jesus being crucified. Which was spreading the gospel of the New Testament I thought. Yes also our sins led Him to the crucifixion. Good point.

Christ suffered because of our sins and we also suffer because of our sins, hence we're bearing our crosses.

Reactions: devin553344
Upvote 0

Ttalkkugjil

Social Pastor
Mar 6, 2019
Suwon
✟34,572.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
As Jesus continued his journey, there followed him a crowd, going with him out of curiosity.

To these Jesus taught discipleship's requirements. If anyone comes to him, with a view to discipleship, sacrifices are necessary from this world's standpoint. Christ's love must precede all other love, even that of close friends and family. Devotion to him requires that love to one's family be relegated to the background, that life itself be denied, that the heart be ripped away from possessions, that Jesus' cross be shouldered, though it hurt. All rivals must be put away that Christ's love may be supreme.

If this devotion and work should demand life's sacrifice, even that must be given for love's sake.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,925,440.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
How do I deny myself - bear my own cross daily - and follow Jesus to stay saved?
Hi iLove, nothing that "we" do can or will save us, ~OR~ keep us saved. Rather, we are saved by "grace" (apart from anything that we do .. e.g. John 5:24; Romans 4:5; Ephesians 2:8-10; Titus 3:5) which means that our salvation is based on/merited by Jesus, and what ‘He’ did for us .. e.g. 2 Corinthians 5:21 .. and that, from first to last :preach:

Therefore, Jesus is our only innocence, our only righteousness, and the only atonement and satisfaction for our sins. IOW, we don't merit any part of our salvation!

That said, the very same One who saved us in the first place also promised to grow us up in His Son, in Christlikeness, and to see us safely through this life to be with Him in Glory .. e.g. John 6:37-40, 10:27-28; Philippians 1:6, 2:13; Hebrews 7:25; 1 John 5:13 :amen:

Finally, our salvation ~results~ in the things that accompany salvation, in good works, in holy living, in the desire to please God 24/7, etc., and in our denying ourselves of the things that we might have otherwise wanted for ourselves (particularly in the flesh) by choosing to do His will instead. If it never does, then our "claim" of being a Christian should be regarded (by ourselves and by others) as nothing more than that (please take note of the Calvin quote in my signature line below).

--David

Romans 11
6 If it is by grace, then it is no longer on the basis of works; otherwise grace would no longer be grace.

quote-my-hope-lives-not-because-i-am-not-a-sinner-but-because-i-am-a-sinner-for-whom-christ-charles-spurgeon-57-36-33.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just kinda interested, but how do you know that? Have you had a near death experience or something?

I've been to the funeral services of people around 100
and babies stillborn. God seems to have no particular preference for how long people live. All scripture fails to suggest that a long life is preferable to the father.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How do I deny myself - bear my own cross daily - and follow Jesus to stay saved?

The only way to Hell is to forcibly reject the Holy Spirit and persevere in that.
Just having a bad day and cursing God is not enough.

Upvote 0

devin553344

Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I've been to the funeral services of people around 100
and babies stillborn. God seems to have no particular preference for how long people live. All scripture fails to suggest that a long life is preferable to the father.

I've witnessed 3 year olds dying and 90 year olds dying. And I tend to feel terrible when they are young and less tragic when they are old and need peace from their aging bodies. But that's just how I feel probably.

I think there is scripture though that suggests that God's spirit does allow man to live longer: Genesis 6:3

Did I interpret that correctly?

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

A very main way is the ways Christ commanded us at the end of Matthew chapter 5 --

38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ 39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. 40 And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. 41 If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. 42 Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

--------
An enemy is someone who wrongs us, even serious wrongs like false accusations or insults. Disrespect.

Disregard. Ignoring. All the different ways people can wrong others.

It's not easy to respond to that with love, and we cannot unless we look to Christ, focusing on Him, and what He has done for us. Because He did this for us. To love an enemy is a perfect response.

"6 You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. 7 Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous person, though for a good person someone might possibly dare to die. 8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

9 Since we have now been justified by his blood, how much more shall we be saved from God’s wrath through him! 10 For if, while we were God’s enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life!" (Romans ch 5)

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've witnessed 3 year olds dying and 90 year olds dying. And I tend to feel terrible when they are young and less tragic when they are old and need peace from their aging bodies. But that's just how I feel probably.

I think there is scripture though that suggests that God's spirit does allow man to live longer: Genesis 6:3

Did I interpret that correctly?

The 120 year passage has no medical support.
Perhaps literalness gets in the way of understanding.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

usexpat97

kewlness
Aug 1, 2012
Ecuador
✟76,839.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I grew up Baptist. All I would say is, look around you. There is suffering, there is injustice, there are lost. There is more out there than any of us could possibly take on. Even so, if you're having trouble finding your calling, and taking up your cross seems a bit too much, try out Matthew 11:30 for size:

Matthew 11:30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.

So there is a yoke for you to take on--it's just a light one. Start small. Even volunteering with ushering, greeting, or children's Sunday School will do.

Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,925,440.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
God seems to have no particular preference for how long people live. All scripture fails to suggest that a long life is preferable to the father.
Hi Sky, a "long life" may not be preferable to the Father, but He certainly knows that it is preferable to us, yes .. e.g. Exodus 20:12? That said, the Lord seems very concerned with us, and with all of our days, no matter how many or how few of them He blesses us with .. e.g. Luke 12:6-7; Psalm 139.

Thanks!

--David

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I grew up Baptist. All I would say is, look around you. There is suffering, there is injustice, there are lost. There is more out there than any of us could possibly take on. Even so, if you're having trouble finding your calling, and taking up your cross seems a bit too much, try out Matthew 11:30 for size:

Matthew 11:30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.

So there is a yoke for you to take on--it's just a light one. Start small. Even volunteering with ushering, greeting, or children's Sunday School will do.

Love.

He loves us. And His command -- to love one another -- is easy if we abide in Him, remain in Him, and keep the greatest commandment, because so much love is then put into us.

Upvote 0