• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

.....and we are electing Muslims in the USA who swear on the Koran.

Discussion in 'Current News & Events' started by Winken, Jan 15, 2017.

1. We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Tull

Tull Well-Known Member

+881
    Christian
    Single
    Those who God would destroy he first makes stupid.

3. Cimorene

Cimorene Ciao! Supporter

+4,515
    Canada
    Methodist
    Private
    The mayor the article is about is the mayor of London.

4. Tull

Tull Well-Known Member

+881
    Christian
    Single
    The same still applies,loving your enemies is one think,giving them power over you and every advantage and opportunity to destroy you is just plain stupid.

5. Cimorene

Cimorene Ciao! Supporter

+4,515
    Canada
    Methodist
    Private
    Which politicians elected in the US have sworn in on the Quran? I looked it up & the only ones I could find are Keith Ellison who was sworn into Congress during the Bush era using a Quran owned by Thomas Jefferson & 1 civil court judge.

6. seeking.IAM

seeking.IAM Episcopalian Supporter

+2,022
    Anglican
    Married
    Indiana has a Muslim congressman, Andre Carson

7. Cimorene

Cimorene Ciao! Supporter

+4,515
    Canada
    Methodist
    Private
    Was he sworn in using the Quran? Looks like he kept getting reelected in a pretty conservative state.

8. CGL1023

CGL1023 citizen of heaven

+259
    Word of Faith
    Single
    US-Republican
    I read this week, about a Muslim woman being elected to the Minnesota House of Representatives and she was sworn in using a Quran. First Somali-American Legislator Begins Work in Minnesota

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  9. seeking.IAM

seeking.IAM Episcopalian Supporter

+2,022
    Anglican
    Married
    I do not know.

10. Ringo84

Ringo84 Separation of Church and State expert

+4,372
    United States
    Baptist
    Single
    US-Others
    So what?
    Ringo

11. Cimorene

Cimorene Ciao! Supporter

+4,515
    Canada
    Methodist
    Private
    She's really inspiring. (Not bc of her religion, but for what she's accomplished with all the adversity she's gone through) Thanks for that link!

12. Winken

Winken Heimat Supporter

+3,455
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    See posts 2 & 4.

13. High Fidelity

High Fidelity Well-Known Member Supporter

+7,643
    United Kingdom
    Baptist
    Private
    Swearing on the Koran? So what?

Is freedom of religion suddenly unconstitutional now?

I wonder what Israel would have said if Trump vowed to ban all Jews. Probably something similar yet more descriptive.

14. Ringo84

Ringo84 Separation of Church and State expert

+4,372
    United States
    Baptist
    Single
    US-Others
    Right, but we have freedom of religion in this country. If it doesn't apply equally, then the Constitution's promise of not "prohibiting the free exercise" of religion is just words on paper.
    Ringo

15. tulc

tulc loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!

+13,839
    Christian
    Married
  16. Sketcher

Sketcher Born Imperishable

+5,164
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Republican
    Which congressional Representatives or Senators have power over anyone other than their own staffers?

17. Archivist

Archivist Senior Veteran Supporter

+4,228
    Lutheran
    Single
    US-Republican
    The is nothing in the US Constitution that requires the use of a Bible. Three US Presidents--John Quincy Adams. Franklin Pierce. and Theodore Roosevelt--did not swear on Bibles. And not every President has said the words "so help me God." Those words are not part of the official oath. Further, for many years Presidents did not repeat the oath. The Chief Justice began the oath with the words "do you _______ solemnly swear" and after he said the oath they simply replied "I do" or "I affirm."

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  18. FormerTweaker

FormerTweaker New Member

+20
    Christian
    Single
    I am no fan of Islam. I think it was a religion inspired by a demon in a cave.

However, if you start banning religions in America, you'll risk one day getting to the point Christianity will be banned.

I don't want to be persecuted myself.

19. Armoured

Armoured So is America great again yet? Supporter

+13,799
    Catholic
    Married
    Muslims=/=enemies

20. Armoured

Armoured So is America great again yet? Supporter

+13,799
    Catholic
    Married
    That's my ultimate reason for religious tolerance. Just because Christians are the big kid on the block now doesn't mean we always will be. If we discriminate against non-Christians in our period of strength, what right to complain will we have if discriminated against in our period of weakness?