And They Will Know We Are Christians... (Ecumenical Conservatives)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BelindaP

Senior Contributor
Sep 21, 2006
Indianapolis
✟20,888.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Saving this post for the club rules and for the membership list.

For now, let me specifiy that the purpose of this club is for conservative Christians who welcome ecumenical fellowship to get together and talk about stuff.

Da Rulz
Love the Lord with your heart, soul and mind.
Love your neighbor as yourself
Membership is by invitation, but guests are welcome to come by any time.

Members
3Girls2Dogs
AdJesumPerMariam
BelindaP
Criada
free2be
Freitag
Howard Dean
IXOYE5
Izdaari
Jim47
Lisa0315
Michie
Moriah_Conquering_Wind
PreachersWife2004
rmw8855
TheCalledOutOne

Tenebrae

A follower of The Way
Sep 30, 2005
floating in the ether, never been happier
Visit site
✟33,648.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Yes, we have, unfortunately.

No barbed-wire. In fact, we'll let everyone who behaves post in the thread. However, members will have to be ecumenical in their beliefs. I guess we'll need to define that, too.
Awww darn, I wanted the barb wire

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lisa0315

Respect Catholics and the Mother Church!
Jul 17, 2005
At The Feet of Jesus
✟37,577.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, let's start from the beginning.

How bible-believing are conservatives?
Completely literal?
In which language?
Allow for cultural understanding in interpretation?
Some parts metaphorical?
Wholly inspired of God?

Well, Belinda, let's see just how well "I" fit here. I mean, I know you talked to me about doing this, but I don't know how well I fit either.

I am completely against abortion although in the cases of incest and rape, I can understand it. I also believe that homosexuality is against Scripture. I do not believe that it is a worse sin than any other sexual sin, but I do believe that it is "a" sexual sin. I think when Christians stop getting divorced, then, maybe, we would have a leg to stand on. I just think it is hypocrisy to get our panties in a wad over one but not the other.

Lisa

Upvote 0

BelindaP

Senior Contributor
Sep 21, 2006
Indianapolis
✟20,888.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't include the common Evangelical hot-button issues into my conservatism. For me it has a lot more to do with one's beliefs in what the scriptures say and how one interprets them.

Don't get me wrong. I agree with you on a lot of that, but I take the traditional view on conservatism and don't use specific beliefs or sets of beliefs as a marker. I think one arrives at those beliefs based upon how they view and interpret scripture.

Upvote 0

Lisa0315

Jul 17, 2005
At The Feet of Jesus
✟37,577.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, I am very much a Traditional Conservative in Doctrine. However, I am not into venom and meanness. I can be just as venomous and mean as the next person but it makes me sick to my stomach after. I don't get joy out of it that is for sure. I also am not into everyone else's sin. I have enough of my own to deal with and that will last me a lifetime to work through.

Lisa

Upvote 0

BelindaP

Senior Contributor
Sep 21, 2006
Indianapolis
✟20,888.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Me, too. I have never liked venom and meanness, and I think it makes baby Jesus cry. I'll start by answering my own queries. I'm thinking that you've been so immersed in the fundie culture that you are having a hard time separating what traditional conservatism (based upon scripture and interpretation) is from Evangelical conservatism (which is hot-button driven).

Completely literal?
I believe that most of the bible is completely literal, with some of it being metaphorical in nature.

In which language?
When in doubt, I go to the original languages. I do not base interpretation of a text on the English. [i.e., not hung up on the KJV as being the one, true word of God]

Allow for cultural understanding in interpretation?
I think that allowing for cultural understanding when interpreting texts is important. [For example, knowing why Jesus would write on the ground in the case of the woman caught in adultery explains things a lot.]

Some parts metaphorical?
See answer above.

Wholly inspired of God?
I believe the entire Bible is wholly inspired of God. It can be used to guide every aspect of a person's life. At the same time, I believe people need to be careful not to add or delete words by way of their biases or cultural norms.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lisa0315

Jul 17, 2005
At The Feet of Jesus
✟37,577.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am very drawn to Catholicism because it meets the two criteria that I seek which is sound doctrine and a deep devotion and obedience to God, but they are amazing, tender hearted people.

They are of the same view as me on the same social issues that I am but they do not just throw those people into the garbage either.

Lisa

Reactions: 3girls2dogs
Upvote 0

BelindaP

Senior Contributor
Sep 21, 2006
Indianapolis
✟20,888.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Catholics would fit in very well here, too, except for the non-ecumenical ones. I prefer to remain quiet on Tradition, because I believe it to be instructive but not inspired. However, I have no quarrels at all with those who believe it to be inspired.

Lisa, have you looked into Old Catholicism? You might find a really good fit there.

Upvote 0

Tenebrae

A follower of The Way
Sep 30, 2005
floating in the ether, never been happier
Visit site
✟33,648.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
My stance on abortion, I believe its horrible, revolting and wrong. I am not pro choice in in the traditional sense, however I think its important to do something different to how the church has done it for years. Last year in NZ, something like 18,000 abortions were preformed. for this many numbers to be occurring, the current tactics IMO aren't so effective. Its what leaves me wondering, how can we as Christians adopt a more effective approach that doesnt compromise on truth

Being gay, as someone that would be classified as 'Bi" however chooses not to act on that desire, I dont think its as clear cut as its made out to be. I have prayed asking God to deliver me, make me 100% straight, been through deliverance, and yet that attraction is still there, I make the conscious choice not to act on it

As for the bible, my old church was great on taking one verse out of a passage, and making it say something that it could have never said in the context of the passage that it had been taken from.

I'm far from being a biblical scholar, however I think the bible should be the final say so on our christian walk.

Upvote 0

BelindaP

Senior Contributor
Sep 21, 2006
Indianapolis
✟20,888.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My sister is in your position, sexual orientation-wise. She also resists. I'm not quite as far along the continuum, but I could be classified bisexual. Since I'm more to the heterosexual side, it was easy for me to marry and settle into a straight life. I have a great deal of empathy for those who don't have it so easy.

Upvote 0

Lisa0315

Jul 17, 2005
At The Feet of Jesus
✟37,577.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My stance on abortion, I believe its horrible, revolting and wrong. I am not pro choice in in the traditional sense, however I think its important to do something different to how the church has done it for years. Last year in NZ, something like 18,000 abortions were preformed. for this many numbers to be occurring, the current tactics IMO aren't so effective. Its what leaves me wondering, how can we as Christians adopt a more effective approach that doesnt compromise on truth

Being gay, as someone that would be classified as 'Bi" however chooses not to act on that desire, I dont think its as clear cut as its made out to be. I have prayed asking God to deliver me, make me 100% straight, been through deliverance, and yet that attraction is still there, I make the conscious choice not to act on it

As for the bible, my old church was great on taking one verse out of a passage, and making it say something that it could have never said in the context of the passage that it had been taken from.

I'm far from being a biblical scholar, however I think the bible should be the final say so on our christian walk.

Oh, sweetie! :hug: What a blessing you are to me. You encouraged me in such a way that I will never be able to tell you.

I miss this kind of honesty in CCC. I was just about to post to Belinda that I was not ready for this yet. I was about to say that I didn't want to start all over only to have it torn up again in a few months.

You will never know how beautiful you are to me. I love you lots! :hug:

Lisa

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.