And the UK(well England) heads back into lockdown next week.

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟236,500.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,141,465.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Just a gentle reminder that England and the UK are not the same thing and Scotland may well avoid complete lockdown. (That may not be a good thing, but it could certainly be a real thing.)
True, corrected title. Off course Wales is already in lockdown, and I suspect Scotland will be joining us soon.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟236,500.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Oh boy my niece lives there , I hope she’s ok
At present it is estimated that around 1% of the population have the virus. If your niece is following the guidelines and is not in a front line role then her risk of conracting the virus is small.

This link gives detailed information on the UK situation and is updated routinely.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GOD Shines Forth!

Supporter
Jan 6, 2019
United States
✟355,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
That’s one way to describe an out of control pandemic, I suppose.

No, it describes people going back to living. I'm a courier and the corporate area I saw vacated is finally filling back up. I'm getting busier again. The restaurant strip that was once hustlin' and bustlin' is once again full of cars. Covid freakout be GONE!

Upvote 0

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker
No, it describes people going back to living
Except for all the people who are getting sick and dying.

The restaurant strip that was once hustlin' and bustlin' is once again full of cars. Covid freakout be GONE!
Well, I’m glad that you’re happy. There will be many, many families that aren’t, because they’re losing their loved ones. But hey, if things are good for you, it’s all worth it.

Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟158,880.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
At the moment England is partially locked down already. Yes, it is horrible, but I think nearly everybody will support the expected government announcement of national lockdown. Of course there are people who grumble, but even they will be supportive of stern measures.

The death toll in England is approaching 240,000, twice the civilian deaths from bombing during World War II. The rate of new infections is doubling every 10 days or so and hospital admissions are also alarming. I am puzzled by the optimism of God Shines Forth. The illness is real and very dangerous. 'Busting out' is reckless, not just for the sake of the people who ignore the proper sanitary precautions, but for everybody else too. We have a duty to care for one another.

Upvote 0

MyOwnSockPuppet

Regeneration of myself after computer failure
Feb 22, 2013
Oxford, UK
✟180,229.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I think that’s a typo? Should be 40,000.
:)

I hope so. The number I've seen is 46-59k, depending if your looking at deaths following a positive test or where it was sufficiently likely to have been put on a death certificate.

The London Blitz (as opposed to the general strategic bombing campaign against ports and industrial cities in general) killed 40-43k civilians in total.

Reactions: Jimmy D
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,141,465.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Boris Johnson announces four-week national Covid lockdown in England

Well it's official. Not as strict as the last one, but will still be devestating economically. Hopefully it will bring the hospitalisations and deaths under control.

He was told a month or more ago that a lockdown should be implemented immediately, and like last time he has prevaricated and tried to deny the inevitable.

Upvote 0

Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟228,159.00
Faith
Christian
No, it describes people going back to living. I'm a courier and the corporate area I saw vacated is finally filling back up. I'm getting busier again. The restaurant strip that was once hustlin' and bustlin' is once again full of cars. Covid freakout be GONE!

The problem is - if there's another breakout, rules or no rules, people will stop going out, people will stay away and business will drop. Businesses won't want sick people coming to work, and those that do risk infecting their remaining staff and having to shut down anyway.

• Agree
Reactions: lasthero
Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟158,880.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Yes! Definitely my mistake. The official figure has just gone above 45,000. Very sorry! It is USA that has the 250,000 deaths.

Now England will be locked down on Thursday. Only schools, factories where safe working can be maintained and essential services are to continue operating. The vast majority will conform and even anticipate the deadline. We are meeting friends in a restaurant on Wednesday, but I am not sure that we will go ahead with the date.

The England lock-down is no 'Covid freakout'. Many, probably most, people here think this measure is long overdue. The Government's own advisers (SAGE) has been urging them to take the step. The Opposition in Parliament have been pressing for it for weeks. Trump's egregious denial and Johnson's dithering is costing many lives and making their economies decline more, even while they claim to be acting to ameliorate the situation.

Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland may well follow suit as their own populations' infection rates are comparable. France and Germany have done much the same. Only in America are grown men and women sceptical of the danger posed by the virus. If American sceptics continue this denial then the death toll and misery will worsen.

Please, wake up to the danger.

Upvote 0

7thKeeper

Scion of the Devonian Sea
Jul 8, 2006
Finland
✟105,139.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
The problem is - if there's another breakout, rules or no rules, people will stop going out, people will stay away and business will drop. Businesses won't want sick people coming to work, and those that do risk infecting their remaining staff and having to shut down anyway.

There's also the added bonus of if someone gets sick and dies (or has serious injuries from the virus, death isn't the only negative consequence) and the source of infection gets tracked to your business.... Well let's just say that it isn't a good look.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟933,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Our numbers are up. The mayor suggested we limit home visitors to essential workers. We’ve never been lower than 8. The governor said we were improving months ago and we climbed two places. That’s some funny math! I don’t have a lot of faith in that pair.

Yours in His Service,

~Bella

49DDA91F-40BA-4C35-89C7-497AC038D77E.jpeg

F726E8AA-54EC-4CD4-8DEA-DED43D0750A5.jpeg

Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0